New Band

basics
basics
03/01/2004 3:13 pm
So this afternoon I'm heading out to meet up with our new bass player. Me and my bro play guitar and drums respectively, and we've just acquired a bass player and singer. We haven't heard either. Bass player says he's been playing piano since he was 10 but bass only for a year. He's got a fender fretless, I forget which kind but jazz is in my mind. The singer I think has no experience whatsoever but he's got a face so maybe it'll work out. lol. I've written out 9 of my tunes for the bass player in case he really sucks and I hope he doesn't find that offensive. We were going to be called Deadbolt but apparently some lame band in the states have it already so now I'm thinking about the name Smoke Rings after the Mills Brothers tune Smoke Rings. lol. It's an interesting tune.
Anybody else in the process of forming up a band?
# 1
Yngtchie Blacksteen
Yngtchie Blacksteen
03/01/2004 3:43 pm
Originally posted by basics

Anybody else in the process of forming up a band?
Yup, I'm putting together a Prog band, we're gonna start recording our debut album this summer.
# 2
Jimmi431
Jimmi431
03/01/2004 6:25 pm
i may well be, last time my band layed together was at a gig bout 4 months ago an we got an amazing write up sayin we were one of the most original bands around etc... but we haven't eve practiced since then an everytime i try an arrange a practice it falls apart cos some one is always workin, im begging to question their dedication!
so i am either gonna look out for a band advertisin for aguitarist or im gonna make my self a new band, hope i get a band with a decent singer i cant stand bands that have people who cant sing it really annoys me cos it can ruin the entire sound of a band very very easily.
anyone ever audition for a band before? i haven't just wonderin what kind of thing your expected to do. an wot would be the best way to audition someone?
The sun is shining the weather is sweet
# 3
basics
basics
03/01/2004 7:24 pm
What's prog? I've auditioned folk before. I went about it by recording some rough tracks of an original tune and told him to come in for a bit with the rest of the band and be prepared to play that particular tune. Makes everything a bit more relaxed when he/she knows exatly what's going to go down and gives him/her a chance to prepare. In this case it's going to be different because there is no set band. I'm just going to have to tell them upfront that they're not up to par (I hope I don't have to because it's so hard to get musicians together in this **** city, northern ontario). It's almost like they're part of the band without even hearing them so it'll be hard to say, sorry pal, you suck. c'est la vie.
# 4
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/01/2004 9:39 pm
I just got my second band together and we are recording later this March.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 5
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
03/02/2004 1:33 am
I'm in two bands. One sucks, and the other is good. The good band has a gig in June... which is kind of scary. But yeah... its only March, so I don't have to worry about it right now. Good luck with the band, and I hope your bassist doesn't suck. Singers... well they're just singers. As long as he can put out a pitch everything should be fine.

# 6
basics
basics
03/02/2004 5:28 am
Back in my highschool days I was in every single band in my home town. And I'm not kidding. Every single one. That was a lifetime ago. Now I know little about the music scene in this town and almost everybody seems so .. I don't know what. Oh yeah, I'm in another band in which I don't take seriously, you know, it's one of those bands that you're in as the supporting artist because it's the son of a friend of your moms and he's having visions of grandeur but it's still fun to pull a couple of gigs with him. At least he likes the who and not bush. lol. I didn't meet up with the bass player, he wasn't around. Always a bad sign maybe. At least I got my soundcard working and can now record, I'm going to record a sample riff tomorrow and have you people critique it.
# 7
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
03/02/2004 5:32 am
The best band I've been in what we did for the first couple weeks included a couple bush covers :) We basically played everything we could from ska to metal just so everyone could get a good feel for all the other band members' sounds and musical traits/qualities. Easiest and most fun way to find your band's sound I know how.
"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
03/02/2004 9:27 pm
iiiholly, all girl band?

Don't see too many. What kind of music, name, etc..
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
03/03/2004 3:03 am
Man I need a band... I am getting tired of playing with myself in front of the computer all the time... it's getting to where I don't know if I will be able to play nice with others and share...

If I don't find some peeps soon I might just break down and....
PLAY...COUNTRY.... [gasp] since that seems like all the damn rednecks around here wanna play...

Old Marshmallo is ready to see some action...and damn blues jams are getting old... and no one there seems to wanna do anything but jam... and the karaoke bars are only turning over the tone deaf folks... no real talent for singing....

Maybe I should get an all girl backing band... Robert Palmer looked pretty cool when he had one in his video... hmmm...
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 10
the fool
the fool
03/03/2004 3:13 am
I'm also in a process of forming a band. My previous band broke up because of women. It really sucks because It's the best band that I've ever been and I really thought we have potential. Oh well. I guess that's life. Now I learned what the beatles felt like. It just sucks starting over again. Especially find peeps who can play and sing and also who dont have attitude.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 11
basics
basics
03/03/2004 3:16 am
You know, a band just broke up where I'm at recently because of women. The chick of the singer slept with the drummer. So tragic. There's so many goddamn chicks, why sacrifice everything for one particular one. hairbndrckr, everything's got its time and place. Use your non-band time to improve your technique, as I'm sure you are. I've been out for half a decade man.
# 12
the fool
the fool
03/03/2004 3:32 am
- hairbndrckr
i understand u well hairbndrckr- there comes a point in your life when you just have to say enough of this playing with myself in front of the computer and time to get up and play with real people. Just look at me. I've been playing by myself for a while, I just found myself playing country (ie. england dan stuff).

-basics
i've heard of the b4. there's a band rule that says something like never EVER introduce a gf to a drummer because drummers always have this capability to snag chicks. I actually thought this was nonesense- I used to think the singers tends to be the most popular and the most paid, so logically, they should get the chicks- but I guess u cant follow logic all the time. LOL
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 13
basics
basics
03/03/2004 3:59 am
Yeah well, my drummer happens to be married and my brother. If that guy ever steals a chick of mine or any chick for that matter, huge consequences. Rest in peace. Marriage.
# 14
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/04/2004 12:36 am
Right now I just left a band, cuz nobody was really into it. I'm going solo now, and I've just released my own CD locally, in which I do everything - bass (bass sim. for guitar), vocals, guitar (of course) and my mom played piano on one (shes a professional pianist in my area). I really like how its turning out, some of the songs have this really big scope I never could have pulled off with my former band. Suxx, that at the moment I can't perform live till I get some people. I'm still workin at my stuff!

BTW basics - prog means "prog rock" - a cool genre that usually has good musical ideas and scales. \m/
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 15
the fool
the fool
03/04/2004 5:20 am
how do u record a whole song by yourself? I tried doing it but its just hard. I sing while I playing the guitar while I have my toe steppin on the freakin drum simulator. any advice?

# 16
the fool
the fool
03/04/2004 5:24 am
and no- i'm not alone in the house. i have siblings and i have parents who could help me out. the damn problem is, none of them are musical. even a simple thing as a drum simulator is extremely complicated to them- specially the timing, dynamics, etc. so i have no other alternative but to do everything myself.

# 17
cgtrox
cgtrox
03/04/2004 6:26 pm
Originally posted by The Ace
BTW basics - prog means "prog rock" - a cool genre that usually has good musical ideas and scales. \m/

Actually, it's short for "Progressive Rock" such as Rush, Dream Theater, etc.

cgtrox:cool:
"If I had a guitar for every guitar I had......."
# 18
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
03/04/2004 8:38 pm
how do u record a whole song by yourself? I tried doing it but its just hard. I sing while I playing the guitar while I have my toe steppin on the freakin drum simulator. any advice?

You need to record the tracks seperately, then dub them together. Have you ever tried hooking your amp up to your computer through your sound card? It's probably the easiest way to go about it without buying a bunch of recording equipment. I have a Hercules soundcard with a external box that I can hook my amp and keyboard to. Some of the Creative Labs cards should be able to do the same thing.

Maybe someone who had done some recording on the boards can help you out. I have only ever messed around on my own with the 'puter.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 19
the fool
the fool
03/05/2004 12:32 am
no i dont use the computer. i use a roland vs1880 digital recorder. and yes, thats what i do- i record them on separate tracks but the problem is, i have to play the guitar and the drums at the same time and its tough messing up with the drums simulator when my both my hands are full.

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.