Vocalist extraordinare, tips on vocals

Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/11/2004 7:54 pm
I'm wanting to be a vocalist, to any degree at least (backing or lead or whatever), and I'm wanting to have a good death metal, black metal, and singing voice. Anyone got any tips or ideas or whatever to help me achieve assorted grunts, shrieks and things of the sorts? Thanks.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 1
I Suffer
I Suffer
02/11/2004 8:49 pm
i think if you go on the arch enemy site, the vocalist gives tips in the fan letter section. I know shes a woman but her growl is like...wow.
# 2
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
02/11/2004 9:03 pm
yeah angela gossow is an amazing death vocalist. i show people some Arch ENenmy and they can't believe it's a girl singing.

also play around with your voice. try different voices and styles and see what works for you
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 3
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
Cryptic Excretions
Attorney at Law
02/11/2004 10:48 pm
Yeah, she is a pretty good vocalist. My sister's boyfriend wouldn't believe that it was actually a woman singing despite what I said. Course I later realized that they had a male vocalist before her who was actually singing on the song playing at the time, course I don't think he would've reacted any differently.
The Gods Made Heavy Metal, And They Saw That It Was Good
They Said To Play It Louder Than Hell, We Promised That We Would

Hulk Smash!!

Whatever you do, don't eat limes. A friend of mine ate a lime once and BAM!! Two years later. Herpes.
# 4
rockerluke
rockerluke
02/13/2004 3:24 am
I'd like to add:
Hansi Kursch (Blind Guardian)
Geoff Tate (Queensryche)
Tarja Turunen (Nightwish) - if you love chick opera voice
Vintersorg (Vintersorg, Borknagar)

Angela's grim voice is cool. Oh, a fellow Opeth fan. ;)
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.