Is this perfect Pitch thing Real?

Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
02/12/2004 6:23 am
i think you misunderstood what i was saying. of course they where not born with the knowledge of music theory. and that was not what i was saying. but they have this "sound identificatoin tool" in their head. all they need to learn is how to name the sounds. so you are telling me when you 'somehow' learn to identify the 12 notes from a'' to a''' you will be instantly and without any difficulties be able to name a note thats 4 octaves lower and slightly out of pitch, even if you only hear that note for a split second? i dont think so - but thats exactly what perfect pitch is. those guys can even tell at what pitch you are farting! no joke!!! most of them can also tell how many instruments there are playing at a the same time. so when they close their eyes and you have like 25 out of 50 guitarists playing the same riff they will be able to tell you. i´ve seen it! you cant tell me that you can develop all this within any given amount of time to perfection.

[Edited by Azrael on 02-12-2004 at 12:31 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 1
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
02/12/2004 4:20 pm
Well perfect pitch is a skill, your not born with it. That's a ridiculous notion. What people are born with is a better sense of hearing, like people who can see better than others. Sound identication tool is the ear, man. Nothing special is in the head. Someone with perfect pitch like me, knows what F# sounds like because it has a sort of texture to it. No magic tuners in the head, nothing like that. F# just has a different sound that makes it distinguishable from all the other notes, exactly like the color black is different from white. The quality never changes from octave to octave. Yes as you to the extremes it does get harder to tell, but F# still has that nasal bright 'weir' quality to it. Eb still has a softer rounder wahish sound. People with perfect pitch can tell the differences between these notes because they hear them so vividly, even for a split second. Like if you closed your eyes, and opened them for only a split second to see a color, you could name it before you closed your eyes again.SO once the sound wavs are vivid to your ear, as color wavs are vivid to the eye, it's easy to name a note that sounds only for a spilt second. The sound of a note doesn't change from the time it's first stuck, til it finally fades out. So with that said the first step is to train the ear to listen alittle closer and pay attention to these differences. That can be done, the ear can be improved. We know this because relative pitch, sight reading, all that can be learned. So it makes no sense that someone can't learn to hear the difference between the note Eb and F# or any note. Play them on your guitar! I quarantee you can even hear the difference between Eb and F#, so you do sense a difference. Once you can hear the differences it's not hard to go to the next step and name them. Then to know if a note is alittle flat or sharp, or just sing any note at will. People don't learn it because they don't pay attention to these differences, instead they try to use relative, "how high is Eb". That's impossible. Even the great music theorist of all shapes, Paul Hindemith, said it is possible to learn the skill of absolute pitch. And perfect pitch doesn't mean your perfect, I have it and I still make mistakes every now and then. I believe even Petrucci (I believe it was him) learned it to some degree by playing the note A over and over until he knew what A sounded like, so now he uses that to tune his guitar.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.
# 2
rockerluke
rockerluke
02/13/2004 3:21 am
I do not believe in the Perfect Pitch thing. How can somebody, without any sense of melody could get a perfect listening skill? The advertising is so unbelievable.

I'm quite good in listening, though I always lack notes. But I think I should get some similar stuffs like this.
# 3
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
02/13/2004 3:25 am
How can you not believe in something that is indisputably real? Perfect pitch exists, I know this because it's a term used to describe someone who can tell a note at it's exact pitch. Not sure what the argument is here...
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.