Slash... any good?

pricklepuss
pricklepuss
01/10/2004 1:12 am
i stumbled across an argument on another guitar forum about whether slash is any good or not.
personally i think he rocks, he may not be the most technically brilliant guitarist, but i think all of us would kill to have written some of the riffs/songs he has, and he certainly plays with a feel/emotion alot of guitarists can only dream of.....
so, is slash great, or just "arrogant and overrated"
# 1
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
01/10/2004 1:41 am
I for one am not a big fan of slash... nor am i a fan of guns and roses. He is an ok guitarist... but some ppl think of him to highly... he is an emotional guitarist but i dont think he even comes near close to satriani Vai or SRV. But thats my opinion... I do like some of his riffs tho......

* trys to sing*...... Welcome to the jungle..........
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 2
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
01/10/2004 1:59 am
Slash is most definately not an arrogant guitarist and hes not real overrated too.

How can you think overrated about a guitarist who writes his own music, has his own style and has played hundereds of shows? Proven he can pull it off live, on stage!
His style is different from other "more complex" styles.
Try playing his solos with feeling and perfect timing, if you realy try you might realize that hes not that bad

Hes more underrated I think.
Most people say Slash and think about the self-tought guitarist who will play with any band he likes.

respect @ Slash, so I think he's great.

# 3
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2004 2:26 am
Slash is great.... I'm not a huge fan but he is great at what he does. I hav to go with metal_carnage on this 1
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/10/2004 4:39 am
Yep, try playing his solos with the same phrasing and feel; it's very difficult (I've tried!).

He's got some of the most tasteful lead licks around, second only to perhaps BB King.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5
the fool
the fool
01/10/2004 4:50 am
I'm not a fan of guns and roses either but i respect slash for his humility and the way he puts emotions in his playing, like clapton and brian may. Actually I was shocked to learn that Slash is a very big fan of Brian May. I especially loved it when he performed with Brian May on stage for free at the freddie mercury tribute/ aids awareness concert. Very nice guy.
"Lets seeā€¦ well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I canā€™t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: ā€œYour guitar is too loud!ā€ I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 6
jealousblues
jealousblues
01/10/2004 6:31 am
ive heard hes sloppy, but I dont know about that, and other than he used to be in a band with a jackass I would think he was pretty cool.
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 7
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
01/10/2004 11:47 am
Originally posted by pricklepuss
...is slash great, or just "arrogant and overrated"

I think arrogant is about the last word you'd use to describe Slash. He knows he isn't the greatest guitarist and he doesn't claim to be so. Perhaps Slash is over-rated in terms of praise he gets versus his technical ability. But bottom line is he's created some of the most memorable lead passages for rock guitar in the last 30 years. In terms of Slash's influence I stick him on the level with Hendrix. He personally influenced me to be drawn towards the guitar and I know I'm not alone!
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 8
sambob
sambob
01/10/2004 1:09 pm
but i think all of us would kill to have written some of the riffs/songs he has, and he certainly plays with a feel/emotion alot of guitarists can only dream of...

You definitely don't speak for me!

I wouldn't want to have done anything that I haven't actually done myself. I'm satisfied with my playing.

I guess he's ok, but really.. I've heard a lot from Guns N Roses...but where are all these "memorable lead lines"? I feel like I must be missing out. I found it hard to like him at all when Guns N Roses was first getting popular, just because there were so many amazing guitarists just getting started around that time (like, everyone signed to Shrapnel :P).
# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/10/2004 1:35 pm
He aint arrogant, the guy is shy n humble and doesnt take anything he does too seriously. He even claims that GnR was a glorified garage band so I dont thing hes up himself!

Appetite for destruction.. all those riffs n solos, youve gota appreciate how great and influencial that record is.

One thing though.. he aint self taught, far from it actually!
# 10
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
01/10/2004 2:31 pm
Originally posted by sambob
I guess he's ok, but really.. I've heard a lot from Guns N Roses...but where are all these "memorable lead lines"? I feel like I must be missing out.

OK, who can't sing the outro solo to November Rain? Or the whole main riff to Sweet Child O' Mine?

How about Estranged, which has some of the best guitar melodies I have ever heard?

Patience's solo?

Man, this guy is the David Gilmour of rock/heavy metal.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 11
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
01/10/2004 3:02 pm
I do have to admit... Appetite for Destruction has sdome great leads and solo.... but i do not think he is still really awesome. You guys make him out to be the best things since cracker jacks... and IMO he isn't.... on the contrary i do have to say he has ifluenced many guitarists in his days and still is.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
01/10/2004 5:23 pm
You nkow what's funny? We sit here and talk about Slash's "Lack of technical ability," and we compare him to people like Satriani and SRV. Now just because he doesn't have the technical skills of such guitarists doesn't mean he lacks technical skills entirely. I mean, let's be honest, how many of us can play like Slash? I'm sure there's a few of us on here who can, and a few who can play even better, but that still doesn't serve to qualify him as a sloppy or technically lacking guitarist.
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 13
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
01/10/2004 8:51 pm
And also Slash has his own unique style.

He looks cool, acts cool, plays cool.
He looks like he's been stoned since the day was born!

I mean he's a guitarist with image :)

Lot of guitarist nowadays you think wtf are they doing on a stage? they aint cool..
# 14
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/10/2004 9:19 pm
Ill second that carnage man, hes thee most iconic guitarist ever!! his image is thee most unique! And dont shout about hendrix!

Am talkin Les Paul, Fag in Mouth, Corksrew Hair, Top hat = Slash!!

Yea and whats all this crap about technique!! G sus listen to Double Talkin Jive live in Tokyo!
# 15
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
01/10/2004 9:38 pm
Double talking Jive get the money mother****er cus I got no more patience... double talkin' JIVE!!!

kick ass!
# 16
dognocat
dognocat
01/10/2004 9:51 pm
i loved guns and roses. he is an incredibly good guitarist. listen to the end of a song such as "Nighttrain". At the end when it is fading out he goes into an incredible guitar solo. His sound is also very distinct and original. All the great ones are like this, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Ray Buchannon,Stevy Ray Von,etc. The new guns and roses that will be coming out with chinese democracy later this year will not compare with the old stuff. All that it is left is Axl. This cd is a bunch of new age grunge crap. The guitar sucks.
# 17
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
01/11/2004 12:25 am
Yea you thing the record version of Nightrain is good, then check it out live, he finishs that solo off and its brilliant!

Hey I wouldnt be quick to slag off the new GnR, from what Ive heard they are excellent.. and its not new age grunge as most people profess. Check out the song 'Madagascar', its up there with November Rain and the likes if thats you fave style of guns track.
# 18
jealousblues
jealousblues
01/11/2004 4:48 am
lol, Fag in mouth has a TOTALLY different meaning here in the states...

and even thats not unique
Freaddy Mercury anybody...?
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 19
Gainer
Gainer
01/11/2004 3:16 pm
Slash is one of my favs. He WAS G'N'R. (imo)
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.