restringing a 12-string

PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/30/2003 7:36 pm
when restringing a 12-string should it be strung: eE aA dD gG bb ee, or Ee Aa Dd Gg bb bb. lower case being the smaller string. Or does it really matter. Right now it's strung the first way, but it seems to me it would be better the second. Is there a right or wrong way to string it?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/30/2003 10:10 pm
I tune mine down two half steps and use a cappo. I tune the first 4 strings to octaves and the A (was B) and D (was E) strings together. I have the thinner octave string nearer my head.
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
12/31/2003 12:12 am
The higher (thinner) strings are usually placed so that the downstroke hits them first. This is the first way you've shown. I think some of the Rickenbacker 12's had it the other way around (like your second example). The slots in the nut will show you which way yours was meant to be strung.

The good Doctor is quite right about the tuning. Tune your 12-string in D (D G C F A D) two steps down from standard E. Put a capo on the second fret to restore the tuning to standard E. The reduced string tension will go a long way toward helping your instrument last longer. And 12-strings don't sound good above the 12th fret anyway, so don't fuss about losing two frets of the neck length. I sold my old Daijon 12-string acoustic this summer. I bought it new in 1977. It still plays as well as it did when I bought it. My Washburn EA20-12B electric acoustic has action comparable to my electric guitars, and it shows no signs of a bowing neck or 'bellying' from having the bridge pull up.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
01/01/2004 10:40 am
I have it tuned a whole step down so the low e is a d. I just didn't know if it made a difference which string came first. how do you have your's doc? I play most everything a whole of a half step down anyway so that's just right for me. I guess trial and error will tell me hwich way is best for me. the first way is how it was when I bought it. just didn't know if I could change it.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
01/01/2004 1:17 pm
Originally posted by PRSplaya
... the first way is how it was when I bought it. just didn't know if I could change it.
Check the nut. The slots will definitely not fit both string arrangements. If the nut is cut for your first example (which is the more common way), then reversing that will place the thick bottom E string in a narrow slot near the end of the nut. I was able to get my Washburn EA20-12B at a good price because some idiot put the strings on in the wrong order and broke the nut. Fair warning.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.