What kind of bands do you guys play in??

DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/26/2003 11:51 pm
What kind of bands do you guys play in... Or are you guys just playin by yourself? If so... waht is your bands name... and do you play lots of gigs.

Me Joe (lead guitar) and my brother Steve (bassist/vocals).... and my drumming freind Jason(drums)... have a band together.Our name is Amphiptere pronounced am-fi-teer. It is a chinese dragon.

We used to be a speed metal band... but now we play funk metal(ever since my bro learned to pop and slap).We have the heaviness and wierd vocals of Faith No More... and we have the funkiness of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

We do not have a mixer or recorder... we just play and play gigs at the Empress Ballroom in Danbury, CT.

How about you guys?
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 1
Gainer
Gainer
12/27/2003 12:39 am
I'm one of the lead guitarists in a band where i also am the lead singer.

We started out as just three guitarists doin' somethin' called a "Jam Session"(somethin' our guitar teacher put together to see wut would happen). We eventually asked if we could start a band.

We've been thru 2 drummers and a bass player.

I guess we play something similar to the early 90s hard rock scene/early seventies heavy blues/Metal.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 2
finger_cruncher
finger_cruncher
12/27/2003 3:30 am
I am a guitarist/singer in a band called Electric Blues Euphoria. Our url is: http://www.electricblueseuphoria.com

Our style is kind of hard to define. While our name obviously implies we play blues, we also incorporate elements of funk and rock too. It is a hybrid sound that features lots of guitar work, fancy drumming, and slap-bass too.

We perform live quite a bit in bars, clubs, and festivals in and around the Vancouver, B.C. area. We've also had the chance to share the stage with some locally famous acts, such as Matt Good and Todd Kerns (from Age of Electric).

You can hear our mp3s on our website. You can also hear my personal instrumental guitar music (which is quite different) at this url: http://www.soundclick.com/mattsmith

# 3
Gainer
Gainer
12/27/2003 3:48 am
Originally posted by finger_cruncher
I am a guitarist/singer in a band called Electric Blues Euphoria. Our url is: http://www.electricblueseuphoria.com

Our style is kind of hard to define. While our name obviously implies we play blues, we also incorporate elements of funk and rock too. It is a hybrid sound that features lots of guitar work, fancy drumming, and slap-bass too.

We perform live quite a bit in bars, clubs, and festivals in and around the Vancouver, B.C. area. We've also had the chance to share the stage with some locally famous acts, such as Matt Good and Todd Kerns (from Age of Electric).

You can hear our mp3s on our website. You can also hear my personal instrumental guitar music (which is quite different) at this url: http://www.soundclick.com/mattsmith

That's pretty cool, man! I like that song "Unrelenting".

And best of all you're Canadian! Maybe i'll see you at a show.
If I leave here tomorrow,
Will you still remember me?
# 4
TheWizard
TheWizard
12/27/2003 5:56 am
lead guitarist

the Main Street Bandits

hard rock/ blues/ some experimental psychadelia thrown in when appropriate

were playin anywhere we can in the Chicago suburbs
Alas Gandalf lives, Middle Earth is again safe...
# 5
Trent J Liberty
Trent J Liberty
12/27/2003 4:50 pm
I currently just play solo and mess around. I'm currently looking for a pianist to 'jam' with. I love the sound of a piano and guitar together.

The name for my 'band' is warmth, but there is a band in the US name 'the warmth', but who cares, as if I'm going anywhere anyway :P

The sound I invision, as I always put it since I can't really describe it, is the atmosphere of Sigur Ros, the dissonance of Nine Inch Nails, the eerie melody of Opeth and the love ballads of HIM. I've currently come no where close getting near any of these bands specific points hehe, but I'm working on it.

All of the songs (so far) have only been for the piano and guitar, without any extra instruments, I really like the way some of them turned out. Sort of like Patterns in the ivy, or the acoustic version of 'something I can never have' Trent Reznor did in chicago. Though, again, not nearly as good as either.
~Trent Jacob Liberty~

# 6
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
The Ace
Guitar Tricks Instructor
12/28/2003 2:41 am
Well I'm in this rock/metal band with some of my friends from school. Of course, nobody else is really serious about it because they are just starting out on their instruments and I've been playing guitar for years. I have a ten trak digital recorder and I do a lot of originals (and it actually sounds like a band with drum machine and bass sim.!0. I'm trying to make a different type of sound, while still being like heavy and stuff. I like queen and ozzy osbourne.
The fake bands name is Sacrificial abyss.
Our url is: geocities.com/sacrificialabyss
check it out if you want, there r no recordings tho.
Im Clayton Raithel. We have been editin it a lot so som things r gone now. (guitar lessons r over)
But when i finish recording, ill post somewhere.
There are only two important things in life - There's music and theres girls, not necessarily in that order....
The Ace's Guitar Tricks
# 7
sambob
sambob
12/28/2003 4:45 am
Just quit my power metal band of four years (Black Star was the name, after the Yngwie song), and I've started a new band. Originally going to be a metal improv trio (guitar bass drums), but the singer from Black Star has followed me, and now we're back playing power metal :P

I also play in a jazz combo which consists of me on guitar (including guitar synths), our excellent drummer, and a bassist. I also play sax or keyboards on some songs. We play everything from Frank Gambale to Sonny Rollins.
# 8
kronborg
kronborg
12/28/2003 11:27 am
I have for the last 3 years played in a band called 'newdawn', playing alternative and experimenting rock/pop.

I play the lead guitar, and all in all i works fine if our singer and backup guitarist had'nt started another band. It's not that he have leaved us, but he's not in, not out if you know what i mean...

http://www.newdawn.dk - danish rock ;)
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that didn't want to screw to save it's species..
# 9
Bodomchild
Bodomchild
12/28/2003 3:59 pm
Originally posted by kronborg
It's not that he have leaved us, but he's not in, not out if you know what i mean...

I know exactly what you mean. That happened in my last band when the drummer joined another band. He was simply spreading himself too thin and I could see that nobody was taking it seriously anymore. I left on good terms. I'm taking some time off and will get back into it later.

For what it's worth, we did melodic death metal originals and covered songs by Iron Maiden, In Flames, Death and At the Gates etc.

# 10
Joseph
Joseph
12/28/2003 7:32 pm
Originally posted by DreamRyche2112
What kind of bands do you guys play in... Or are you guys just playin by yourself? If so... waht is your bands name... and do you play lots of gigs.

Me Joe (lead guitar) and my brother Steve (bassist/vocals).... and my drumming freind Jason(drums)... have a band together.Our name is Amphiptere pronounced am-fi-teer. It is a chinese dragon.

We used to be a speed metal band... but now we play funk metal(ever since my bro learned to pop and slap).We have the heaviness and wierd vocals of Faith No More... and we have the funkiness of The Red Hot Chilli Peppers.

We do not have a mixer or recorder... we just play and play gigs at the Empress Ballroom in Danbury, CT.

How about you guys?

For years I did the solo thing, acoustics shows, just to stay in circulation. Currently I'm putting together a punk/metal project w/ a great female vocalist, I have very high hopes. I think at the end of the day you just have to ask yourself if it feels right. Btw, cool band name, we're still thinking about what we're going to call this project, although i'm sure once we start writing more songs our personalities will lead the way.
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11
jealousblues
jealousblues
12/31/2003 2:02 pm
I play in a band named Gargoyle Lounge we play everything from Elvis to the Beatles to Frank Sinatra to Blink 182. The guys I play with are great at what they do.
Have you noticed that the best songs always seem be the most simple take, the classic song, "batman"... I mean its just Batman and Na...
# 12
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/31/2003 7:26 pm
Originally posted by DreamRyche2112

Popping and slapping isn't what makes it funky.

Anyway, currently I'm in a Ska band, we don't play much. We're trying to teach our singer how to play guitar and restructure the band in a few other ways, so we won't be gigging at all for at least a couple of months.

I'm looking to do something more Rock/Funk/Metal/Jazz oriented as my primary gig.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 13
the fool
the fool
12/31/2003 10:17 pm
It depends. We basically format the songs with the age group we're trying to target. Sometime's i'd do covers with a band, sometime's i'd go solo as a singer. sometime's i'd be doing acoustic songs when going solo- and the music varies depending on the occasion and the crowd. For parties, social gathering, and weddings we do 50s and 60s early rock and roll covers and some 70s disco and country that people can dance to- basically hit songs of the old that a majority of the mature audience recognizes and have grown up dancing to. We throw in a couple of love songs/ slow songs as well when we take in requests. When the party doesnt have any DJs, we also play some cha cha, salsa, tanggo, rhumba and stuff for them old school dancers. For fundraisers- we do mostly covers but we do newer stuff like 80s new wave, 80s loves songs, some 90's stuff, some 70s classic rock etc because most of the folks who attend it are in their 30's and 40's. For folks my age, we play heavy metal, grunge, and some punk, and a lil bit of alternative. With concerts, we do basically anything and also make it the time to show our written material. We're pretty versatile. We play anything- even a some blue and a lil' bit of jazz. We have to learn all of these kinds of music because we make a living out of it.

However, I have yet to try this speed metal, neoclassical metal, and 8 finger tapping stuff. It's a very new thing to me. It intrigues me really. I just got introduced to it on this site.
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 14
metalisbest
metalisbest
01/04/2004 10:21 pm
I have played bass in a band called Kapone. In all of my other failing efforts I have been the songwriter/singer lead/rhythm guitarist and bassist in about 5 projects. Kapone was punk rock, and all of the others ranged from metal to acoustic rock to classic rock bands.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.