Underrated guitar players

DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/02/2003 8:28 pm
Lemme first state that im a huge queensryche fan!!!

Im not saying hes one of the greatest.. but Michael Wilton is a very underrated guitar player. I mean he wrote a good portion of there earlier material and is great live. He wrote a good chunk of the music for operation mindcrime and the warning (which are great albums) and he mainly wrote there heavy riffs. And i have heard him play off camera.... and he can shred like anyone else can ( not like Yngwie or Pertucci).

Also Ritchie Blackmoore for deep purple.... i mean he was really great for his time... so give him a good listen too.
Member of band: Amphiptere (am-fi-teer)
Genre: Speed Metal, Thrash Metal
I am: Lead guitar
# 1
Death55
Death55
12/02/2003 8:52 pm
well i think i'm underratted :). in my opinion jason becker is underrated. I never here people that i know talk about him. Also michael angelo.. i know a lot of u think he's isnt that good but i think that he does deserve more fame. Basically all the guitarist who never manage to become part of a famous band. Look at kirk hammet for example.. the most overratted guitarists ever just because he is in mettalica .
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/02/2003 11:10 pm
hahahaha yha i was actually kinda mad at guitar tricks for putting kirk hammet up there..... geez if hes up there dont u think gary moore deserves to be??
# 3
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
12/04/2003 9:50 am
Underrated? there are too many class players out there who've never had the wider recognition they deserve beyond their particular niches. Basically you could include 100s of players from flamenco, jazz, fusion, country, bluegrass and folk who could whup the arses off 99.9% of better known strummers. Keith Richards for f**k sake!
# 4
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/04/2003 12:05 pm
I quite agree that Gary Moore deserves more fame. He can play some MAD blues, as well as rock/ballad type stuff too!
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
12/04/2003 4:58 pm
I don't know about underrated, but I am defanately overrated. I concider myself competant and mediocre, but my friends all say I'm awsome......it's nonsence I tell you
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
sambob
sambob
12/04/2003 5:28 pm
Marshall Harrison
# 7
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
12/04/2003 5:50 pm
Well he plays steel pan guitar so I'm entering a grey area but Robert Randolph is probaby the best I have ever seen. If you haven't heard his music give it a try, you will be surprised at how fast and well he can play.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 8
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/04/2003 9:52 pm
I have absolutley no klue y ppl think kirk hammet is great... i mena dont get me wrong hes good... but hes not great.

Id take Michael Wilton (who ppl dont really recognize cuz they think degarmo is lead guitar WHICH HE ISNT) over kirk hammet any day. Michael Wilton can actually solo up and down the scales on the other hand krik hammet piks like the same note for an hour.

and another point.........

Dont u guyz just hate when a skool freind or work freind says that like whats his face from linkin park is the best guitar player ever.

Its just kinda scary......... Im like the ionly kid who listens to ghood music (and my freind) out of like 1000 kids in our skool.

Where is music heading... did u ever think of that.

lol... for all u older ppl out there with sons.... plz stear them away from pop and rap.... PLZ.

LOL well ill cyah all l8er

# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
12/04/2003 10:34 pm
You hear Aerosmith you think Joe Perry! But Brad Whitford plays 50% of the guitar solos! Maybe most of them live and is just an awesome bluesy player!
# 10
zepp_rules
zepp_rules
12/04/2003 11:08 pm
Alexi Laiho - such an amazing clean fluid technique. one of the best i've heard

Roope Latvala - Laiho's idol (enough said)

Andre Oblrich - Not a flashy player, but the way he composes and intertwines the leads with the vocal melodies is simply amazing

Jon Schaffer - not mentioned because he plays rhythm, but he is imho the best rhythm player out there. extremely clean quick picking technique. made we wnat to play rhythm more.
To improve technique and of course trying to keep all as clean as possible. I know my own limits and speed limits and so on I never play anything I'm not capable of. That wouldn't make any sense. After three years of playing I tried to play everything as fast as possible and that sounded, I would say, like shit, and I didn't realize that if I'd play bit slower things than I was capable of playing then everything would sound much better.

--Aleksi Laiho - Advice to Play By
# 11
kronborg
kronborg
12/05/2003 6:02 pm
Jazz musicians are very underrated, and unknown.

Uffe Steen (I know not many knows him) is - if not the best - then one of the best guitar-players in the world.

He is way better than for an example Clapton and Gary Moore...
I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every panda that didn't want to screw to save it's species..
# 12
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
Jolly McJollyson
Chick Magnet
12/05/2003 8:50 pm
Originally posted by DreamRyche2112
I have absolutley no klue y ppl think kirk hammet is great... i mena dont get me wrong hes good... but hes not great.

Id take Michael Wilton (who ppl dont really recognize cuz they think degarmo is lead guitar WHICH HE ISNT) over kirk hammet any day. Michael Wilton can actually solo up and down the scales on the other hand krik hammet piks like the same note for an hour.

and another point.........

Dont u guyz just hate when a skool freind or work freind says that like whats his face from linkin park is the best guitar player ever.

Its just kinda scary......... Im like the ionly kid who listens to ghood music (and my freind) out of like 1000 kids in our skool.

Where is music heading... did u ever think of that.

lol... for all u older ppl out there with sons.... plz stear them away from pop and rap.... PLZ.

LOL well ill cyah all l8er

Can we put this in the post about spelling?

[Edited by Jolly McJollyson on 12-05-2003 at 03:10 PM]
I want the bomb
I want the P-funk!

My band is better than yours...
# 13
nsx_swami
nsx_swami
12/05/2003 8:56 pm
lol I agree. I think he needs to change his handle to jar jar binks to stay in character.

I'sa likes kirk hammet. he'sa play getar goods.
Jimmie showed me alot of stuff, but there was a time when he warned, 'If you ask me to show you anything again, I'll kick your ass.' Well, I did and he did. - SRV
# 14
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/06/2003 12:45 am
Michael Romeo from Symphony X. I went and saw him last night - unbelievable. Malmsteen's more famous, but he's got nothing on Romeo.

[Edited by TheDirt on 12-05-2003 at 10:00 PM]
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 15
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/06/2003 2:43 am
yah.. i went to see g3.... to tell u the truth yngwie didn't really impress me at all (satch and Vai had much more style and groove). Hes a great techincal guitarsit... but after like 20 mins of shred... he just ran out of material.

But my dad wouldnt take me to see symphony x (so he owes me a new concert.. preffirabley Rush, or metallica).

But he was close enuff to mikael romeo to touch his guitar. My dad said he was unbelievable. i wanted to go but oh well.
# 16
DreamRyche2112
DreamRyche2112
12/06/2003 2:46 am
well i type kinda bad... but go ahead and put it under spelling (hahahaahahahah) i kno im a horrible speller and stuff.
# 17

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.