http://fulara.com/eind.php?g=ewarsztaty

Articulation essential IMO:
http://fulara.com/eind.php?g=eportato

regards.
# 1
Death55
Death55
12/15/2003 9:38 pm
I remember when i got my first guitar ever for christmas. I got a cool guitar video aswell. The first bit was of dave celentino(i think thats how you spell it). He was doing some 8 finger tapping. It looks damn amazing aswell as sounding good. I have to say i was very impressed with it and i still am.
By virtue of their electrical properties, tubes generate a special waveform when they're saturated, which is why tube engineering has tremendous tonal advantages over solid state or DSP solutions, particularly for crunch and lead sounds. Tubes enter the saturation zone gradually or softly, which lends tube-driven tone its trademark yet totally unique character.
# 2
the fool
the fool
12/20/2003 4:44 am
is it possible to play 8 finger tapping on a les paul? Do u have to do anything to a les paul to be able to pull it off? I tried to do it in my guitar but i can't get a good clean sound when I use both fingers. I can only tap it the traditional way.
also does anyone know any good book or video that teaches tapping and 8 finger tapping?
"Lets see… well I play the guitar and when I'm not playing the guitar, I think about playing the guitar. My other favorite instrument, is the guitar and if I aspired to play any other instrument, it would be the guitar...

I can’t sing so I sing through my guitar. So when the sound guy says: “Your guitar is too loud!” I think: "Why does he never say that to the vocalist?"
# 3
john8guitar
john8guitar
09/12/2004 7:41 pm
Hi Tapper,
Yes you definitely can tap on a Les Paul...........action height brother, thats why your not getting a resonant tone..(your string action is too high).........read bellow for some good advice...(for the interested player paragraph).............e-mail me if you have any questions.....good luck!

John Williams
Eight String Guitarist

[email]john1music@hotmail.com[/email]

I have written this leaflet in an attempt to answer some of the most common questions I am asked about the way I play my guitars. I have also included some basic guidelines and transcriptions for the interested player.

HOW I GOT INTO THE TWO-HANDED TAPPING TECHNIQUE
In 1984 I was exposed to the innovative guitar prowess of Stanley Jordan who had fully developed this new approach to guitar playing. At the time I was studying what Eddie Van Halen was pursuing with his two-handed tapping technique, but Stanley opened my ears to a whole new world of possibilities formerly only open to keyboard players. I immediately realized this revolutionary technique to be my new found approach to guitar playing.

A BRIEF EXPLANATION OF THE TWO-HANDED TAPPING TECHNIQUE
Whereas the traditionally trained guitarist plucks the strings of a guitar with a plectrum or the fingers of one hand and frets the strings with the fingers of the other hand; the practitioner of the two-handed tapping technique simply frets the strings of a guitar with both hands (this is possible since the impact of a string hitting the fret of a properly adjusted guitar is enough to sound a note). Since only one hand is needed to play guitar with this technique, it is possible to simultaneously play two separate parts if you use both hands on the fretboard of a guitar.

DEVELOPING THE EIGHT STRING GUITAR
One of the greatest advantages of playing guitar with this technique is the ability to accompany oneself instrumentally in a solo context as is commonly done on piano. But compared to the piano the six string guitar has a rather limited range. In pursuit of a more complete sound in my solo guitar playing I soon realized that I needed more bass range than the standard six string guitar would allow, so I conceived and designed an eight string guitar with a low B (7th. string) and a low F# (8th. string). It took a couple of years to build but with the help of four other people on 12/27/88 my first eight string guitar was completed.

PLAYING TWO GUITARS AT ONCE .
To explain my reasoning for playing two guitars at once I will start with this example: If you are executing this technique on one six string guitar and you play an Amin9 chord with your left hand which takes up your lower four strings and with your right hand you want to execute a melodic line on top of that chord. Well one of the musical parts is going to be compromised - either you'll keep the full color of the chord intact and limit the execution of the musical line to the top two strings which is rather limiting, or you'll free up your options with the right hand and play across some of the strings that are being utilized by your left hand for the Amin9 chord, thus loosing the color of the accompanying chord. Basically what this all means is that you can't play two notes on one string, the only way to avoid compromising either musical part is by allowing each hand to fret its own set of strings. Through this and many other musical dilemmas that I encountered as I developed my technique, I soon realized the importance of giving each hand the freedom to fret its own guitar. Eventually I had a second eight string guitar made by master luthier John Curruthers which is the guitar I wear strapped over my shoulder while my other eight string guitar is positioned on a John Gracie guitar stand. This allows me the freedom to play either one or two guitars at once without actually having the weight of two guitar necks on my shoulders.

FOR THE INTERESTED PLAYER - HOW TO PREPARE A GUITAR FOR TAPPING
Although you can execute the tapping technique on a nylon or steel string guitar, you will achieve optimum results utilizing an electric guitar with extremely low action (the distance from a string to the 12th fret should not exceed the thickness of a penny). The guitar you use should appear to have a virtually flat neck with a slight even upwards bow, make sure the frets aren't worn down, and having clean strings and good pickups will definitely help in the sound quality of your technique. If you need help setting up your guitar, make sure you find a reputable luthier who will adhere to your special requirements for two-handed tapping, specifically in regards to the height of the strings off the frets. Since you will be using both of your hands at once on the fretboard of your guitar, it will be virtually impossible to continually dampen out the sympathetic vibrations of strings you don't intend to sound. On Emmett Chapman's invention "The Stick" (a ten stringed touch board played utilizing the tapping technique) there is a strip of felt permanently attached to the fingerboard under the strings at the first fret. This also works well on a guitar........ but if you want something less permanent, a capo loosely fastened behind the first fret will suffice. When tapping, you want to use as little wrist movement as possible with your fingers coming directly down on the strings while making sure you don't accidentally touch any of the adjacent strings you don't intend to play. Also, you don't need to hammer down the strings, a light tap is all that is needed to sound a note, to stop a note simply release your finger from the string (don't pull it away). There was a point when I first got into this technique that I was practicing 10 -12 hours a day and tapping the strings pretty hard, this resulted in me getting a severe case of tendonitis which forced me to completely stop playing guitar for over a month and after that it took close to a year for my hands to fully recover. Although you may have spent time on guitar developing your left hand (or your right if your a left handed player), be realistic about any expectations you may have for developing your right hand tapping technique. Don't overdue it - if your fingers start to hurt, stop and give them some rest......Have Fun!
# 4
Mino
Mino
09/17/2004 1:27 am
Kiko loureiro uses 8 finger tap.. download from emule his young guitar video and you some exciting ideas..
# 5
deadalone
deadalone
09/23/2004 11:50 pm
Try and find some videos of Buckethead playing solo. He's an amazing guitarist who is extremely underrated. He's up there with some of the top shredders. He plays some solos with eight to nine finger tapping solos. He mostly plays a heavy metal shredding stlye but he has his moments where he plays something so unbelievably beautiful you don't believe it comes from a guitar. If you want more melodic playing check out his Electric Tears cd. His newest release is more of a blues type album. He doesn't get a lot of credit because some of his cd's have random voice-overs from people and it just seems kind of weird. If you get past that though you'll love it. Check out his Cukoo Clocks From Hell cd for his faster solos and tapping.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.