Grinding pick

andy82
andy82
11/21/2003 4:08 am
If I grind only one side of my pick after playing few songs does that say something worng about my picking technique?
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/21/2003 5:45 am
I wear a bevel on the edges of my picks. I lead with the 'bridge' side of the pick on the downstroke, and the 'neck' side of the pick on the upstroke. This tends to reduce 'ghost' notes produced by the impact of the face of the pick hitting the string squarely before the string is released past the tip of the pick.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
daveasdf
daveasdf
11/21/2003 1:57 pm
After playing a bit, my picks end up a semi-circle, rounded around my index finger. I use Dunlop .88 .. they're indestructable and pretty rigid. The only pick I can use, and has a decent grip on it.

[Edited by daveasdf on 11-21-2003 at 09:17 AM]
# 3
u10ajf
u10ajf
11/21/2003 5:55 pm
I sometimes produce a fine dust of plastic powder after playing a while. I have wondered if this is the meaning of the term "shredder" but then my playing's pretty violent and takes no prisoners.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 4
andy82
andy82
11/21/2003 11:45 pm
:) I was using a black pick on my white pickup and I got all of those scenarios mentioned above. I grinded my pick, colored the top part of the white pickup with black streaks, black powder on the pickguard.

All this after downpicking whilst playing Metallica stuff.
# 5
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/23/2003 2:04 pm
Nothing's wrong with spoiling picks more frequently , a couple of scrapes can cause serious wearing to the pick , depending on the material of the pick.

You should change your pick more often to avoid getting used to worn picks !

# 6
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
11/24/2003 12:44 am
I found this Jim Dunlop Pick, I haven't been able to find another like it, but I've been playing on it for a good 3 months, and it shows NO WEAR!!!

It's made of like a thick ass plastic, almost resembles fiberglass. But anyways it's like a clear pick, with a yellow/greenish shade.

On the front it says:

Jim Dunlop
...USA...
X-H

Very durable. If I could find more, I would definitely buy some more incase something ever happened to this one.

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 7
daveasdf
daveasdf
11/24/2003 2:03 am
I have no idea how anybody can keep track of a single pick for three months. My picks come alive at night and scurry away to the pick disco heaven and never come back.
# 8
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
11/24/2003 4:21 am
After I'm done playing, I put it in the same place everytime so I'll know where it's at. :)

Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 9
b_hoves
b_hoves
11/24/2003 5:57 am
i found a pick that i like, so i bought a 5 of them, and now they are scatered all over the house, 2 on my amp, one in my case, one in my room and one in my wallet (just in case).
# 10
JSV
JSV
11/24/2003 1:41 pm
I can be extremely particular about which products I use. I've been using the same pick for at least 10 years now. It's hard to find. I get them by the gross & it's rare to see them 'in stock' at a music store.

It's similar to the Dunlop Jazz 3's (a lot of you cats use those, right?) but I found it to be a bit more stiff, less bendable. The material maintains it's "grip" surface when it's worn-in; in other words, it doesn't get slippery.

482R1.14 TORTEX BLACK GOLD JAZZ

On the bottom, you'll see 3 in their natural state before they're filed down.
The TOP 3 show how they look after I file them w/a special grinding wheel. I've been using the same exact method of filing to this special "razor-point" ever since I've first used these picks.
The one on the upper-left has been to a recording session a' la' Shred-du-Soleil.
I have a few made from quarters that are exactly like these, but the metal provides some great pick-attack & I use the side of it against the string for some most unusual effects.

I NEVER play with anything else & I never use them until they're filed. They look wAcKy, but MANY of my students, clients/customers, have switched to this pick after trying it. They even have me file these tips on them.

Once the tip is worn-down they're of no use to me, so I go through a LOT of 'em. I usually play quite strong w/my fretting hand, and I pick very heavy most of the time. It kind-of goes against the norm' because I use nothing but .008's and all of my necks are scalloped.
(Get this: I've even done recordings where we could hear the sound of my pick coming over the mic's!)

Has anyone else here ever used this "Black-Gold" pick??

Did I think ANYONE would even give 2-sh*ts about this information I've just shared??

~JSV
# 11
andy82
andy82
11/25/2003 5:53 am
Originally posted by SLY
You should change your pick more often to avoid getting used to worn picks !

So that's why newer picks feel awkward.

And the black-gold ones look similiar to Jazz 3's. Non-slip eh? I gotta try them cos pick tends to slip when I downpicking quickly.
# 12
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
11/25/2003 10:28 am
i´ve been using Jim Dunlop BIG STUBBY picks for almost 4 years now and i swear there is no better pick on that planet. every ( E V E R Y ) guitarrist i know who has tried them threw away the old ones and switched to the stubbies. i tried virtually every pick available untill i finally found them. they are transparent dark purple, are 3mm thick but have a very smooth tip. they do not slip from the fingers since they have "dents" on both sides where the fingers fit in easily. they do not wear off at all - they just get lost as every other pick does *LOL*.
basically: the stiffer the pick, the better you can controll it - especially when it comes to speed.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 13
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
11/25/2003 1:43 pm
Originally posted by andy82
So that's why newer picks feel awkward.

And the black-gold ones look similiar to Jazz 3's. Non-slip eh? I gotta try them cos pick tends to slip when I downpicking quickly.

Yep dude , few years ago I used to have the problem of getting used to a fresh picks ... Since I've realised that , I started changing picks before they get deeply worn.

Now I play with Dunlop's "Gator Grip" 2mm ... They're very non-slip , and they doesn't wear as quick as all other picks I've tried (I've tried many) , plus their very stiff and hard , gives me the "attack" tone I want.
Before that I played with D'andrea's Celluloids , then Dunlop's Tortex ... But both are slippy and wear easily , specialy the celluloids (but they've got very sweet tone for leads, similar to Big Stubby , but better).
# 14
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
12/14/2003 7:18 pm
Originally posted by Azrael
i´ve been using Jim Dunlop BIG STUBBY picks for almost 4 years now and i swear there is no better pick on that planet.

# 15
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
12/14/2003 7:22 pm
Originally posted by metal_carnage
Originally posted by Azrael
i´ve been using Jim Dunlop BIG STUBBY picks for almost 4 years now and i swear there is no better pick on that planet.

I have the transparant and the purple pick you can see on that picture.
When i play, they feel like they will snap any moment.
They are strong, but when Im trying to play some Yngwie like stuff they feel like I will crush them, they thend to bend a bit playing.

????

i play with those dark purple ones and they are 3 mm thick - they dont even bend when i smash a hammer on it.

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 16
TheDirt
TheDirt
12/14/2003 10:09 pm
Originally posted by metal_carnage

When i play, they feel like they will snap any moment.
They are strong, but when Im trying to play some Yngwie like stuff they feel like I will crush them, they thend to bend a bit playing.

You've got to be kidding me!!! These are some of the thickest picks made on the planet!! The one in my hand right now is 2 mm and I can barely physically bend them using both of my hands!! You sure that you have the brand "Big Stubby"?
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 17
metal_carnage
metal_carnage
12/17/2003 7:58 am
I have the transparant one.
The purple I had but I lost it.

I mented to say that the transparant pick is bending a bit, although its 1.5 mm???

My bad, sorry.
# 18
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
12/17/2003 10:48 am
Nothing compares(for me)like the clayton big triangle picks(the heaviest ones).For grip I just rub a little 'gorilla snot' on them...works like magic.
I can really attack the strings.The good grip ensures that I dont have to have a death grasp on my pick hindering my speed.
Those stubby thick,thick ones make A.H's way easier.They always slip my mind.I should go fetch some.Off to the music store!

Later! \m/
Try once,fail twice...
# 19
Hammurabi
Hammurabi
12/17/2003 8:54 pm
My bro uses stubbies for bass. I don't like using them for guitar all the time becuase I have a very gentle touch. If I was actually playing in a band that did rock, which I haven't for two years, I would use stubbies without exception.

Going all the way back to JSV- I dig those picks. You're the man.

I used standard picks for the longest time, but the last time I got new strings I saw a bucket of picks that were going for 7/$ so I grabbed a bunch. One was a teardrop shape like yours and I fell in love with the shape the first time I used it. While I liked the pick more than my usual picks, I had a few small complaints about it.

1. It was kinda slick plastic. Not a problem with what you mentioned.

2. It wasn't quite thick enough for me. Yours are (1.14 mm).

3. It was a bit blunt, not as precise as what I like. Your picks obviously don't have that problem.

So, yeah. I'm definitely going to be trying for something like that as soon as I can.

"If one has realized a truth, that truth is valueless so long as there is lacking the indomitable will to turn this realization into action!"
-A.H.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.