Humbucker-Coil Tap

Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/20/2003 8:25 pm
I have two choices for a new humbucker I am getting for my Telecaster. I can either have a switch(like a regular tele/strat) or I can get a coil tap push/pull button. I like the button idea, because one reason I wanted the humbucker was for more pickup selection. Any experience with either? Which offers me more selection?
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 1
JSV
JSV
11/20/2003 9:23 pm
...I can either have a switch(like a regular tele/strat) or I can get a coil tap push/pull button...

I beg your pardon if I've misunderstood the question; But are you deciding between "EITHER" a selector switch "or" a coil-tap??

Your best 'likely' option is to have a standard 3-way (assuming you're going w/two pickups), and wire the humbucker for "series/parallel" switching (as oppesed to coil-tap).

You'll still get the great "single-coil" tone/attack from your humbucker when you want it, minus the awful noise produced when you coil-tap. Look for a humbucker w/4-conductor wiring. You can easily rig it to a push-pull pot on either the tone or volume.

~JSV
# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/20/2003 9:57 pm
This humbucker does have 4 conductor wiring(seymour duncan '59). So I would still have my 3 way switch, but a coil tap to switch the the pickup between single/double coil?

You see, I want like the Hot Rod Telecaster's from Fender a couple years ago. They had an SH-1 humbucker with 5 way switching, which is what I want. I couldn't understand the guy on the phone that much, I'm going there on Saturday anyway, but from what I understand I can get this push/pull coil tap button to switch between double/single. Which to me sounds cool, and I still keep the 3 way standard Tele switch.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
11/21/2003 5:02 am
Do NOT settle for some sorry-ass coil-tap!

Keep the stock selector switch, and add a double-throw-double-pole switch & pot combination for either the Tone or Volume control for the humbucker. And wire that switch for Series/Parallel selection.

You retain the humbucking noise-reduction of the pickup in either switch position, while getting clear, near-single-coil sound in the Parallel position, and hot full-bore humbucker sound in the Series position.

For something approaching the sound of a Strat in the 2 or or 4 PU selector position, add a Phase swith to another of the pots.

A well set up Tele seems to sit up and talk to you. There's certainly no harm in giving it some extra voices!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/22/2003 8:31 pm
I went to Steve's today and I got the series/parallel option, so I don't get the 60Hz hum. Now I gotta wait until my parts come in.
# 5
Guitar-Sam
Guitar-Sam
12/08/2003 10:20 am
Fender made a 4way tele mod switch were the positions were.1 bridge,2 bridge and neck in paralel,3 neck and 4 bridge and neck in series.Dunno what it would sound like but its an option.
Certiied Stratocaster NUT!!
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.