I have a very serious problem here!

Daan
Daan
12/27/2000 11:48 pm
I want to learn chords, I am realy motivated, but the tops of my fingers seem to be too stumpy, too thick. So I block other strings all the time.
Another problem is that when I use a barré, the G and the B string are muted. I know you have to practice alot on barré 's but I cant get a clean G or B. No matter how hard I press that finger. I think it mutes beacouse my fingers have a slight boble at the spot of the G and B string.

Am I doomed to play only solo guitar or do I have to learn another intrument instead? :(
Please help me!!
If you want to ask me a question about it, please feel free to do so.
# 1
loner92
loner92
12/28/2000 2:50 am
Try moving your index finger up a little.

# 2
Daan
Daan
12/28/2000 4:33 pm
no, sorry, that doesnt help anything.
it works if i lower my finger one string...
the problem now is that I cant press the E-string.
but any comment or suggestion is still welcome...
# 3
Trolle
Trolle
12/28/2000 10:21 pm
Hi Daan!

Nonsense, of cause it isn't because of fat chunky fingers, that you can't take a clean barré-chord.
First, check that your fingernails are cut as much as possible so the tip of the nail can't touch the fretboard when pressing a string.
Next, fingerpositioning is vital to a barré, so start with your index-finger and press all the strings on one fret, ex. from A on the E-string and all the way down. Be sure to stretch the finger knockles and keep a straight vertical line with your arm under the neck. Apply press different places so all strings sound when you strum them. Also, you should place the fingers just behind the fret-band, not in between the fretbands and of cause not on top of them, but just behind them so they are visible, that way the sound is easier produced and requires less strenght.
Third, place one finger at the time on the right notes, still keeping your index finger in position, till they sound clean. When all four fingers are placed, look at your hand-position: Is it flat? Does it fall in an angle? Are the single-note fingers lying down?
The right should be none of the above!!! Only your indexfinger should be flat and stretched!
And one very important thing: Does your arm hurt while doin' the chord? It shouldn't but in the beginning, all things does. But in time, when you can make ALL the notes sound, if your arm hurts, you have a wrong handposition. Check and correct until you can do it without pain.
Also it will help if you sit down while practicing and hold the guitarneck in an 20-30 degree angle upwards. And try to keep your elbow low, under the guitarneck.
Well that's it! Really, you should find somebody who can do a barré, it's much easier to see how its done proberly. :)

Fiddles
Trolle
# 4
Daan
Daan
12/29/2000 3:59 am
Thank you very much, Trolle, I realy appreciate this. Thanks,

First I followed your instructions, and it seemed to work! I stretched my [u]complete[/u] index-finger. Now I see wat loner92 was trying to say.

But then I realised that my "happyness" came too soon...
It helped, but the sound of the G and the B string was still not very clear.
I was so disapointed. I came in a five minute depression. (believe it or not, I have 5 minute depressions :rolleyes: )

But I kept trying. At last I heard myself making a barré with a pretty clear sound...
Beacouse I bended my index finger a bit to the right. So I pressed with the side of my index finger. Aldoh you said I shouldn't do that. Or did I readed that incorrect?

(and all that in 15 minutes! What an adventure that was!)

So now I found the clean sound, I am gonna practice those barrés till my index finger falls off! ;)

Thanks again, Trolle and loner92!
# 5
Daan
Daan
12/29/2000 4:10 pm
Here I am again, (sorry)
First, I [u]realy[/u] dont want to bother anyone.
That explenation you gave, Trolle, was very great!
But I can only create a (pretty) clear sound when I use the side of my index finger.
And I realy have to press as hard as I can for that. Its killing me! I know guitarplaying hurts your fingers alot, but if I press a little harder, I think I'm going to break the neck of my guitar!
(ok, nobody can break a guitarneck doing a barré, but you get my point, dont you?)
So is it normal that my G and B string still "flops" a little?
I dont want to bother people here, but I just wanted to know if that is normal...
# 6
Trolle
Trolle
12/29/2000 4:36 pm
As a beginner, yes, I surpose that your problem is normal.
The problem is, that you're applying all the pressure with the tip of your finger. You need to spread out the pressure, that's why you have to straighten out that finger!
Your knockles should almost break the wrong way, if you get the idea?
A little trick, is to lift the finger from the lower strings (Low E, A and D), that way, only half of your finger is resting on the 3 high strings and automatically you'll be forced to apply pressure to sound the strings.
When you have the clean sound, put back your other halh of the finger down, now covering one hole fret (all strings).
Don't sqeeze the strings down, it needs less strength than you think. :p

Over and out, I won't reply anymore on this subject.
Practice, practice and practice!!! :cool:

If you can't do this in about a month, you oughtta play something else than the guitar...

Fiddles
Trolle
# 7
puddlemaker
puddlemaker
12/29/2000 10:35 pm
just a suggestion, take a good look at your action and make sure that its not too far off the neck. also using the correct tension on the fretboard will come to you in time. try to remember to use only the strength it takes to make the barre. i dont think that if the action is ok that it shuld take all of your strength to make a barre.

Originally posted by Daan
Here I am again, (sorry)
First, I [u]realy[/u] dont want to bother anyone.
That explenation you gave, Trolle, was very great!
But I can only create a (pretty) clear sound when I use the side of my index finger.
And I realy have to press as hard as I can for that. Its killing me! I know guitarplaying hurts your fingers alot, but if I press a little harder, I think I'm going to break the neck of my guitar!
(ok, nobody can break a guitarneck doing a barré, but you get my point, dont you?)
So is it normal that my G and B string still "flops" a little?
I dont want to bother people here, but I just wanted to know if that is normal...

# 8
chrisramguitarman
chrisramguitarman
12/31/2000 6:32 pm
maybe its your fretting thumb being too high behind the neck. try placing your left hand thumb further down so that you can wrap your fingers around it more.
hope it helps.
# 9
Allie
Allie
01/09/2001 12:26 am
Purchasing a GripMaster which you can get at any guitar shop. It's about fourteen bucks and it helps you work up strength in each finger and the hand as a whole. Plus it's a great stress reducer so use it when you have your five minute depressions. :)

Also you should think about lowering your gauge of strings till you're more comfortable with barre.
# 10
Joseph
Joseph
01/09/2001 3:51 am
If you're having problems positioning your fingers properly, you need more than just a picture from one of your favorite books, find a way to jam with someone else and study his'her fingering like theres no tomorrow. Yeah from the very beginning, I found it rather difficult to form certain chords properly, but its all about finding your sweet spot, :). Learn to relax your fingers instead of putting excessive pressure on the fretboard and everything should fall into place. The best way to get the most put of your practice time is to work on two or more things at once, and don't be afraid to improvise.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.