nervousity problem

beginner
beginner
10/20/2003 8:59 pm
Guys, can you give some suggestions what i can do about this that whenever i play in front of some friends or people that never heard me before playing, i make 5 times more misakes than i´m playing the stuff alone, just because my hands are quivering. Really need your help, because this really sucks, how will it become when i have my first gig and i have to play some for me difficult stuff...
# 1
SPL
SPL
10/20/2003 9:18 pm
The more you play in front of people, the more you'll get used to it. It's as simple as that.
# 2
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
10/20/2003 9:26 pm
SPL is right. The more you perform in front of people the better you will get.

But here is a few tips:

1) Always start with something easy. Don't pick up the guitar and try to rip out the hardest song you know, that won't be good. If you start with something easy, your confidence will be higher and you'll make less mistakes.

2) Don't fret (lol) over your mistakes. 9 times out of 10 if you don't make a face or a gesture, like oh my god I screwed up, the average listener wont even notice.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 3
daveasdf
daveasdf
10/20/2003 10:25 pm
I used to have quite the problem myself playing in front of people, but only in certain circumstances. For instance, some joe sees my guitar and says oh yeah? what can you play. Then I was like, well this, and screw it up. Buddy was expecting a killer riff out of blue and that's hard when you're inexperienced. Now I just flat out refuse and say catch the band this weekend... If you're playing in a band in front of people it's alright, just get used to playing when drunk. Works for me (if it's liquor). Helps my stage appearence too and makes the groupies work harder.
# 4
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
10/20/2003 11:49 pm
You wanna hear something really messed up? This one time, in band camp...(sorry couldn't resist) I had a week to memorize 5 songs to march in front of 25-30 thousand people in Tampa Stadium (before Raymond James Stadium, hell they still wore orange!) and I didn't have a single nervous issue with that. Not even preperformance jitters. I didn't think about it. But when I first started gigging out in clubs, I would practically have to puke before I went on. I think that was because I thought about it.
So quit thinking about messing up, and just go for it. What's the worst thing that can happen? Anyway you get used to it eventually, but it comes quicker if you don't think, and just do.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.