Echo effect using volume knob

munqy
munqy
10/16/2003 3:53 pm
I picked up an old Ywi malmsteen instrutional video (Hot licks) and it has loads of lessons on it but on of them is sounds amazing yet seems so har to do. Ynwi uses a delay pedal and rolls the volume back and forth to get an ech effect while he plays a blazin lead. How does he acheie this and how would i start to learn how to do this?
real tyte bro \m/
# 1
sambob
sambob
10/16/2003 7:51 pm
Well, you do just what he does.

Its improtant to keep in mind though, that yngwie doesn't just have a delay pedal, he has a whole processing unit for it (when recording). He has a multitap delay, with the last setting i think almost 2 seconds after the first echo, also the dry/wet out settings are kind of funky.

It would probably help you to see him live, not in a video. Live he actually uses his delay to pan to different cabinets accross the stage. So he might have one set at 1000ms that comes up on the far left of the stage.
# 2
u10ajf
u10ajf
10/17/2003 5:48 pm
Don't panic! It takes a lot of practice to do volume swells (AKA "violining") properly. It's damn easy when you've put in the hours though; like riding a bike. I learned how to because I had heard a solo by Rush's guitarist, Alex Lifeson, on the live version of XAnadu on Exit Stage Left and thought it was the most gorgeous sound ever. I didn't even know it was guitar to start with!
First point: put the volume up quite far on your amp; this means you won't have to turn the volume knob so far with your finger.
Second point: make sure you're holding your pick correctly. When I first started learning I had to change the way I held my pick - I had held it between the tips of my thumb and first and second finger. (This also made pinch harmonics harder.) Then I changed and started holding my pick properly between my thumb and the curled, tip-most knuckle of my first finger.
Third point: start with the volume down and rest the inside of the second knuckle of your little finger on the bottom of the knob. Pick the string(s): to start with pick single higher strings because that's easiest.
Four: roll your little finger back until just beyond the tip most joint so the volume swells. I find that this naturally moves the pick away from the strings. It may help to rest the outer edge of your hand behind or on the bridge (unless it's a floating trem which makes life harder)
Five: rapidly slide your little finger back to its starting position.

That's it really. When you're really good at this try it with pinch harmonics.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.