Damn Amp.

Q12321
Q12321
09/06/2003 1:49 am
Ok, it seems like I can never get a good sound, or the sound I am looking for. I have a Washburn G-3V into a Digitech RP200, then into a Fender Deluxe 90DSP amp. I can get anything clean to sound amazing, but when it comes to anything distorted, I'm lost. I need something along the lines of Slayer, Metallica, and BLS. Any suggestions?
My Signature.
# 1
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
Polera
Guitar Hurricane
09/06/2003 5:37 am
Not that this is any help, but i always disliked fenders distortion...sorry not much help but just my two cents...:(

WWSD? What would stevie do?
# 2
Digit
Digit
09/06/2003 9:36 am
I may not be a huge help either but I'd say your problem is threefold. First you have to look at your guitar, especially the pickups. Slayer & Metallica probably have guitars worth well over a couple thousand dollars so a $200 Washburn with original pickups isn't goint to be able to compete.
First thing I did on my cheaper guitar was go out and get some amazing pickups. It plays well because I've had it for a few years, and it also sounds good because the pickups are the same ones you find in guitars costing 10 times as much.

Next step is the effects pedal. Again, you can't compare a Digitech to a rackmount, top end cables, properly miked amps and recording studio techniques that include doubling, compression, EQing and hours of mastering.

Third is the Amp. I've owned only one Fender amp but like Polera says, I've never really like the distortion either. One of the main reasons I ended up going through a dozen distortion pedals was because of the lack of ability of my pickups and amp to do the job for me.

As soon as I went out and upgraded my pickups, got a multi-effects unit, and a Marshal amp with an Attenuator on it to lower the volume while distorting, my problems were over.

Even now though if I go into a studio, I end up running a seperate line direct to the board so that I can use a software based cabinet simulator later on the clean signal.
99% of the time I end up just using the amp sound for performance reasons and then using the direct sound on the recording.

# 3
Q12321
Q12321
09/06/2003 1:28 pm
Well, ok then. My cables are really bad, I know that much, and my guitar was like $550 actually. My pickups are stock, but they do hum sometimes.
My Signature.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.