Direct to P.A question

chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
08/30/2003 2:40 pm
I have decided to get a bass(hartke wk-5)...
but Ive not the money for any bass amp that would cut the blood for a gig...
enter tech 21's sans amp rack pre-amp.Its says you can go direct to the P.A...so in other words I wouldnt need a 8x10 or 4x10/1x15 stack!Is this true?As I understand it,any pre-amp would work like that right?
I read the same for the carvin sx300r pre-amp,that you can plug your guitar direct to the P.A.
Would this be imposing to a band I'm looking to join or is this a respectable option.It would be awsome not to have to lug my half stack around or spend a ton of money on a bass amp!
Try once,fail twice...
# 1
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/30/2003 4:27 pm
Your soundman would probably kiss your feet! LOL

But you will still need to have a monitor so you can hear what you're doing. It's a bit like negotiated arms reduction: all the players use great-sounding small amps, which are mic'ed or DI'd into the soundboard, and the drummer trades his baseball bats for pencils. :cool:

If you're looking to join a band that is already up-and-running, that's going to be a hard sell. :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
chucklivesoninmyheart
Non-Existent
08/30/2003 7:34 pm
So if I showed up for a rehearsal/gig with just a small monitor,a direct box and my bass,I would get bitc*ed out?
If the sound result is satisfactory and I(and the drummer) can hear me then thats all that should matter.Frankly I dont want to lug a huge bass rig around...my wallet and my back would appreciate it.
I know it would be cool to have a huge rack setup and an 8x10 cabinet,but I think any band that requires you to have a huge expensive setup is more concerned with...I'm not sure..but its dumb.Why couldnt they a lend a channel on there P.A for the bass!!?Greedy bastard singers!8+ line inputs and I cant make use of one?
most venues have there own P.A's anyway...

If I can get the sound of an 8x10 cabinet without one...why the hell would I get one?
Theres a lot of demand for bassists...but it shouldnt be about the man with the most equipment...what happened to the skill factor?
Try once,fail twice...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
09/01/2003 2:48 am
Originally posted by chucklivesoninmyheart
So if I showed up for a rehearsal/gig with just a small monitor,a direct box and my bass,I would get bitc*ed out?...
That's something you'll have to ask the band before you show up!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
09/02/2003 2:09 am
The band would have to be equipped w/monitirs, and have a decent pa that would have a seperate volume send for the monitirs.
I think it would depend on what type of band you were looking to join wether it would work or not. If it was something quiter like a jazz, blues, singer songwriter acoustic act you would be fine....something heavier and your gonna need that push to drive the band.

You know, in a way your post is kinda hypocritical...you say it shouldn't matter what type (or lack of) equipment you have that gets you in the band, but then you expect the band to accomadate you with their stuff. Only a bass player could get away with that attitude, a guitar player showing up to a rehearsal or practice without an amp and he would be tomorrows news.
# 5
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
09/02/2003 3:31 am
You'll need a pretty strong PA system, for one. You'll need monitors too;

I had a dream that I was in a five-piece band that had all of their equipment hooked up direct; It went like this,

Drummer= Electronic Drums
Bassist= PreAmp inside guitar-> Direct
Rhythm Guitarist-> PreAmp -> Direct
Lead Guitarist-> PreAmp-> Direct
Keyboardist-> Direct

imagine the stage volume if you did this, with In-Ear Monitering!

~Incidents
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.