Best sounding neck?

Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
08/30/2003 2:35 am
I have a Fender Strat, I recently put EMG-SV pickups in it. Now my question is, before I buy a Telecaster, I want to replace the neck on this Fender strat, does Rosewood sound better than Maple? What about the vintage necks? Their goin for around 300 bucks, is it worth it? Every little clean tone you can squeeze out is worth it IMO.
When i'm gone you wont miss me, youre dying to fist me, out of the closet and into the fire, out of these dumb little quips that inspire
# 1
sambob
sambob
08/30/2003 2:37 am
Eh, its all just personal preference.

I prefer the maple, but can hear very little sound difference.
# 2
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
08/30/2003 2:38 am
Well ok, I'll have to get a vintage neck then, I mean you can't go wrong with vintage really. Personally I like the look of it better, it's not plain looking. It's supposed to sound a lot better than the regular made maple necks..
When i'm gone you wont miss me, youre dying to fist me, out of the closet and into the fire, out of these dumb little quips that inspire
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/30/2003 3:02 am
What kind of tone do you want? An all-maple neck will definitely enhance that classic Strat 'quack'. I had a '62 re-issue with a rosewood fretboard and had a really smooth, clear, sound to it, without that 'icepick in the forehead' thing that some Strats do.

The Telecaster is the only Fender model I haven't spent any serious time with. After I thin out my current collection a bit, I just may acquire one.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
08/30/2003 4:44 am
I think the main thing between Maple and Rosewood is the feel, Rosewood feels alot faster to me, definetely not a big fan of all Maple necks.
# 5
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
08/30/2003 5:07 pm
Yeah I just got this Fender a few months ago, so I'm looking to bring it up to par with my SG, so rosewood it is! Thanks guys.

And also, the Telecaster is one the greatest guitars ever made! I love them so much, I wished I had enough to buy a 50s model tele, maybe the classic butterscotch one! :P
# 6
sambob
sambob
08/30/2003 5:32 pm
My father, who I've inherited a few of my guitars from, had a '68 tele thinline (Very rare model!, they didn't start making a lot of them till '72).

Of course, the bastard sold it so he could buy a tape deck. And he sold his SG so he could buy his '54 strat. Its mine now though :)
# 7
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
Vladimir Hubitcherkokov
08/31/2003 2:55 am
Have you seen the gold on gold 40th anniversery strat? I got to play one today, they are very nice. Gold hardware on gold paint! Makes ya wanna slap yo momma!
# 8
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
08/31/2003 9:34 am
My main guitar is a mexican strat with an all-maple neck, I bought it for the feel more than the sound - I like maple best - but the sound still has a nice twangy quality to it. I was partly inspired by a english guitarist called Snails-Pace Slim who has a custom Strat with a maple neck and mahogany body, I've never heard a nicer sound from a strat (that was when I heard him live, not studio.)

The body of mine is made of alder which has slightly less sustain, ideally I'd make my own Strat from Warmouth with the woods Slim used - the wood of the body is just as vital as the neck wood.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.