Played a long time ago starting up again

aaron_cardoza
Full Access
aaron_cardoza
Full Access
01/31/2024 1:07 am

I played and had lessons as a young man 15 to about 17. Stopped playing for a long time. I am in my 50's now, and started back last year got side tracked with finishing up my bachelor's degree. Plan on making it a go again. I have a number of guitars most are pretty cheap, I have a Fusion III US Stratocaster Epiphone LP and a PRS Custom 24-08. I use to love the slim necks but now for some reason they just feel weird and I fell more comfortable on a thicker neck, should I start back on the LP or PRS? I want to make sure to pick the right one for the long haul.

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/06/2024 12:06 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: aaron_cardoza

I played and had lessons as a young man 15 to about 17. Stopped playing for a long time. I am in my 50's now, and started back last year got side tracked with finishing up my bachelor's degree. Plan on making it a go again. I have a number of guitars most are pretty cheap, I have a Fusion III US Stratocaster Epiphone LP and a PRS Custom 24-08. I use to love the slim necks but now for some reason they just feel weird and I fell more comfortable on a thicker neck, should I start back on the LP or PRS? I want to make sure to pick the right one for the long haul.

Hey & welcome.

This is a matter of getting a guitar that physically feels good in your hand & has the components that will allow you to achieve the sounds you want depending on the style of music you want to play.

Both Les Pauls & (most) PRS models have dual humbuckers.  I think PRS guitars are generally more ergonomic & tuning stable. 

But in the end it has to be a guitar that motivates you to practice.  I encourage you to visit a local music store & try a bunch of guitars.  See which one feels easier to play, more comfortable, easier to get a sound you like that will inspire you.

Happy hunting!   

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.