After Fundamentals 2

jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 10:53 am

Dear friends, advice needed. I'll be ending fundamentals 2 soon and I've been going at a very quick pace with Anders Fundamentals 1 & 2. I love metal and heavy music but I don't want to play that thrash type stuff. I just scanned level 1 courses on acoustic, rock, country and blues just to make sure that what I will be learning after fundamentals 2 will benefit me (and I've decided it will).

My question is simply: should I focus on all 4 styles at a time or be done with 1 style e.g. acoustic 1 & 2 and THEN move on to another style (as if I will never be using the previous style ever again) because I might forget the concepts covered when I move on to another style.

Any comments would be helpful as I'm pretty new here.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/10/2024 12:13 pm

Good morning

I don't think it would work for me to spend my time studying material that was not of interest to me - say country as an example. But I am older and started late, so time is a precious resource.

If I were younger then maybe from a pure academic sense I would want to spend time in multiple genres. But I am old.

I think the right answer depends on how you want to spend your time and what your ambitions are. If you wanted to be more rounded, as my guitar teacher is, then time in jazz, blues classical... It's all good. But he started at 12 and is now my age. So again, the problem comes back to time and how to manage it.

Good luck with it.

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2024 12:28 pm

You can try all of the style courses at the same time if you want.  I would encourage you to focus on one at a time.  If you like rock the most, then start there.  All of the concepts of notes, scales, chords & rhythm are the same on any guitar.   But there can be considerable differences in physical technique when switching to electric guitar to playing rock (& some blues):  picking techniques, bending, articulations like hammer-ons, pull-offs.  Getting started on electric as soon as possible will definitely be beneficial.

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 5:52 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

You can try all of the style courses at the same time if you want.  I would encourage you to focus on one at a time.  If you like rock the most, then start there.  All of the concepts of notes, scales, chords & rhythm are the same on any guitar.   But there can be considerable differences in physical technique when switching to electric guitar to playing rock (& some blues):  picking techniques, bending, articulations like hammer-ons, pull-offs.  Getting started on electric as soon as possible will definitely be beneficial.

Hope that helps!

Thanks Christopher. I have an electric but am learning on acoustic. My goal is to play the classic solo of dont cry by guns n roses so i'll take your advice even pratice on my electric. i just prefer the acoustic because i dont have to set anything up. you guys are doing a wonderful job! keep it up! :)

# 4
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 5:57 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Good morning

I don't think it would work for me to spend my time studying material that was not of interest to me - say country as an example. But I am older and started late, so time is a precious resource.

If I were younger then maybe from a pure academic sense I would want to spend time in multiple genres. But I am old.

I think the right answer depends on how you want to spend your time and what your ambitions are. If you wanted to be more rounded, as my guitar teacher is, then time in jazz, blues classical... It's all good. But he started at 12 and is now my age. So again, the problem comes back to time and how to manage it.

Good luck with it.

actually william my biggest fear is that if i dive into stuff i like i'll eventually run out of resources or material which is not true i know. i am so impressed which this website that i want to try everythin but honestly i dont even know what country is, heard a little blues but the rythm parts bore me. i want to play lead but i have an acoustic so i figure why let it go to waste. my first goal is to nail the solo from dont cry by guns and roses and then start posting my improvisations on electric on youtube and get some buzz going. thanks a lot for your response. i'm looking forward to learning from you guys, who are a lot better than me and have invested more time and effort into this so that i can learn from your mistakes. please do share.

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/11/2024 4:52 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: jibran.shahid123

Thanks Christopher. I have an electric but am learning on acoustic. My goal is to play the classic solo of dont cry by guns n roses so i'll take your advice even pratice on my electric. i just prefer the acoustic because i dont have to set anything up. you guys are doing a wonderful job! keep it up! :)

You're welcome.  I recommend starting on electric ASAP because the specific skills necessary to play single note lead lines in rock style are considerably specialized.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/11/2024 8:13 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: jibran.shahid123

actually william my biggest fear is that if i dive into stuff i like i'll eventually run out of resources or material which is not true i know. i am so impressed which this website that i want to try everythin but honestly i dont even know what country is, heard a little blues but the rythm parts bore me. i want to play lead but i have an acoustic so i figure why let it go to waste. my first goal is to nail the solo from dont cry by guns and roses and then start posting my improvisations on electric on youtube and get some buzz going. thanks a lot for your response. i'm looking forward to learning from you guys, who are a lot better than me and have invested more time and effort into this so that i can learn from your mistakes. please do share.

I understand, dabbling is good.

Country is fine,  when I hear a country song I want to play I find the chords by ear and start playing. Its a great skill for you to learn and once you have it, you have it. If you want some pointers let me know. 

Don't be afraid to practice lead on acoustic, I do it all the time. Makes no difference what you use as long as you have the licks down. Whatever guitar is at hand when I want to/am able play is the one that gets played no matter what the song.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.