Palm Muting

jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 9:51 am

I have a shoulder injury and when I play guitar sitting down my pick is picking the strings VERY close to the highest fret. The obvious solution is to play standing up (then there is no issue with palm muting) but I have my whole workspace set up that I can watch the lessons while sitting down. Another solution would be not to worry about it and when I have to play something that requires palm muting I can stand up and play it. Any thoughts?

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/10/2024 12:20 pm

Does you chair have arms that get in the way?  What kind of guitar do you have?  I could see an acoustic being difficult to get arranged.  When I teach lessons I sit on a stool & have my strap set at the same length as when I stand.  The end result is that I can have the same posture & position sitting or standing.  Maybe you can adjust your guitar position in order to make it possible?  Hope this helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
humaizprogatix
humaizprogatix
01/10/2024 2:28 pm

Be care-full buddy

# 3
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 6:01 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Does you chair have arms that get in the way?  What kind of guitar do you have?  I could see an acoustic being difficult to get arranged.  When I teach lessons I sit on a stool & have my strap set at the same length as when I stand.  The end result is that I can have the same posture & position sitting or standing.  Maybe you can adjust your guitar position in order to make it possible?  Hope this helps!

Christopher my chair doesn't have arms that get in the way and i mostly practice on a standard nylon string, i also have a stedman pro electric. actually i find often times when i play that i have very bad posture, hunching over the guitar. i'll definately try your method on electric, adjust the strap till sitting and standing are the same. thanks a lot for your help. you guys are all so wonderfully supportive.

# 4
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 6:03 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: humaizprogatix

Be care-full buddy

thanks humaiz i got injured in 2011 and putting my right shoulder on the guitars body causes pain but i'll try what Christophers method and report back. cheers :)

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/11/2024 4:53 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: jibran.shahid123

Christopher my chair doesn't have arms that get in the way and i mostly practice on a standard nylon string, i also have a stedman pro electric. actually i find often times when i play that i have very bad posture, hunching over the guitar. i'll definately try your method on electric, adjust the strap till sitting and standing are the same. thanks a lot for your help. you guys are all so wonderfully supportive.

You're welcome!  Best of success!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.