Notes vs Chords for level 0 beginner

mulham.haffar
Full Access
mulham.haffar
Full Access
01/04/2024 8:07 pm

Hi everyone,

Happy new year!

I'm an absolute beginner, who's starting a bit late (I'm 41 :)). But I wanted to learn to play the guitar for 25 years just never got the chance to. So, I'm gonna give it a serious try and I'm hopeful.

My question is do you recommend that I start with learning chords and not notes ? I'm fascinated about playing lead guitar and learning how to read notes more than strumming. But I see that all the beginners courses only teach strumming and chords.

Sharing your thoughts is highly appreciated.

Mel

edited
# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
01/04/2024 8:19 pm

Happy new year, 41 is a great time to start.

I would really encourage you to do the Fundamentals for beginners.

Best of luck

edited

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/04/2024 8:45 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: mulham.haffar

Hi everyone,

Happy new year!

I'm an absolute beginner, who's starting a bit late (I'm 41 :)). But I wanted to learn to play the guitar for 25 years just never got the chance to. So, I'm gonna give it a serious try and I'm hopeful.

My question is do you recommend that I start with learning chords and not notes ? I'm fascinated about playing lead guitar and learning how to read notes more than strumming. But I see that all the beginners courses only teach strumming and chords.

Sharing your thoughts is highly appreciated.

Mel

Since you are an absolute beginner I recommend starting at Guitar Fundamental 1.  

There are 2 reasons most guitar curriculums starts with chords.  First, the guitar is quite often an accompaniment instrument, which means playing chords to support the vocals, or structure of a song.  Second, the wider motions of playing chords is a usually a little easier to start with as opposed to the very small, precise motions required to play single note melodies (for example, lead guitar lines).

If you follow the GF 1 course, you will eventually get to the lessons involving scales & melodies.  You could, if desired, simply skip or watch through the material until you get to what you are interested in.  But you will probably miss quite a bit of learning context along the way.  And the conceptually content of lead guitar is built on, relies on, knowledge of chords, key signatures, harmonies, etc.  

For what it's worth, I understand your excitement about & interest in lead guitar.  It's very dramatic & fun stuff!  But it's only one aspect of what you can do with a guitar to play music.

Hope that helps!

edited
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 3
mulham.haffar
Full Access
mulham.haffar
Full Access
01/05/2024 5:47 am
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Happy new year, 41 is a great time to start.

I would really encourage you to do the Fundamentals for beginners.

Best of luck

Thank you for your advice.

# 4
mulham.haffar
Full Access
mulham.haffar
Full Access
01/05/2024 5:48 am
#3 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Since you are an absolute beginner I recommend starting at Guitar Fundamental 1.  

There are 2 reasons most guitar curriculums starts with chords.  First, the guitar is quite often an accompaniment instrument, which means playing chords to support the vocals, or structure of a song.  Second, the wider motions of playing chords is a usually a little easier to start with as opposed to the very small, precise motions required to play single note melodies (for example, lead guitar lines).

If you follow the GF 1 course, you will eventually get to the lessons involving scales & melodies.  You could, if desired, simply skip or watch through the material until you get to what you are interested in.  But you will probably miss quite a bit of learning context along the way.  And the conceptually content of lead guitar is built on, relies on, knowledge of chords, key signatures, harmonies, etc.  

For what it's worth, I understand your excitement about & interest in lead guitar.  It's very dramatic & fun stuff!  But it's only one aspect of what you can do with a guitar to play music.

Hope that helps!

Thanks a lot for the detailed response.

That's exactly what I was after when I posted here, as I don't really know what's best.

Appreciate your advice. I will stick to the GF-1 and will take it from there aftre.

Thanks,

Mel

# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
01/05/2024 5:36 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: mulham.haffar

Thanks a lot for the detailed response.

That's exactly what I was after when I posted here, as I don't really know what's best.

Appreciate your advice. I will stick to the GF-1 and will take it from there aftre.

Thanks,

Mel

You're welcome!  Best of success with your guitar learning.

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.