Intro - Late. Into Year 3.

Sanderej
Full Access
Sanderej
Full Access
12/13/2023 7:24 pm

Hello,

Eric in Minnesota. 54.

Signed up for GT in 2015, but finally became a full member about 2.5 years ago.  I do have a music background.  Played trombone in high school and college.  Played piano for many years and worked as a professional musician in top 40/rock/punk bands for several years when I was younger.  I learned a few chords in college just from picking up the guitars that were laying around.  Eventually learned a few basic songs, and that's as far as I got for 30 years.  

In the last two years decided to revisit guitar.  And I'm completely amazed at the progress I made once I just focused on one lesson at a time.  Lisa's fundamentals courses were amazingly effective at developing my skills in year 1. It is so easy to fixate on all the things you can't do and should work on, when really the most important thing is to keep working.  In year 2 I completed Level 1 Blues, Level 1 Acoustic, and about 1/2 of Level 1 Rock.

After 2 years of working through tutorials I now think of myself as a functional guitar player.  Good enough to provide myself accompaniment on a fairly wide range of songs - though the learning curve on any given song can still be pretty long.

But, I do have a question.  Have you, or should I pick a path?  For example, focus on acoustic and do level 1/level 2?  Or do all the level 1s and then move to level 2?  Seems like there is some overlap across the styles.  So curious if it was designed with a particular path in mind.

Thanks!

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
12/13/2023 8:07 pm

But, I do have a question.  Have you, or should I pick a path?  For example, focus on acoustic and do level 1/level 2?  Or do all the level 1s and then move to level 2?  Seems like there is some overlap across the styles.  So curious if it was designed with a particular path in mind.

Someone from GT would have to speak to this, but I don't think they laid them out as stepping stones expecting a student would complete them all. I think they were trying to offer students material in a genre that interested them. Personally I only did Blues 1 and 2 and Blues is where I spend most of my time. And not just practicing and playing, but also listening and researching. Its fascinating to me. Country is great... but I'll get what I need for any song I want to learn from a song tutorial and leave it at that. I'm not spending any time in Country. So for me, yes, I focus on a path, but maybe you want to be more rounded and work several genres at the same time. That's not for me though. I started at 56 and am now 60 and aging quicker than I would like to admit. So I need to spend my time carefully.

Good luck with what you decide. Hopefully you can find something you really want to sink your teeth into!

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Sanderej
Full Access
Sanderej
Full Access
12/28/2023 9:23 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Someone from GT would have to speak to this, but I don't think they laid them out as stepping stones expecting a student would complete them all. I think they were trying to offer students material in a genre that interested them. Personally I only did Blues 1 and 2 and Blues is where I spend most of my time. And not just practicing and playing, but also listening and researching. Its fascinating to me. Country is great... but I'll get what I need for any song I want to learn from a song tutorial and leave it at that. I'm not spending any time in Country. So for me, yes, I focus on a path, but maybe you want to be more rounded and work several genres at the same time. That's not for me though. I started at 56 and am now 60 and aging quicker than I would like to admit. So I need to spend my time carefully.

Good luck with what you decide. Hopefully you can find something you really want to sink your teeth into!

Thanks! Appreciate the thoughts.  I'm such a completest by nature it's hard not to think of it in terms of checking all the boxes.

Eric

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.