Shredding

Autark
Autark
08/07/2003 9:24 am
What basic tehniques should I master to become good shredding player???

And what about advanced tehniques?
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/07/2003 10:41 am
Originally posted by Autark
What basic tehniques should I master to become good shredding player???

And what about advanced tehniques?

All of them... :D
Shredder means you master all the techniques, and you can't write a song if you haven't 5 minutes of soulless wanking on the guitar.
The techniques are legato, alternate picking, sweeping, and tapping (mostly) the faster you can play, the better it is... Actually, if you are able to play so fast that noone can make a difference between your licks either they are legato, sweep, or alternate picking, then you're a shredder :)
You can check out http://www.chopsfromhell to see some of those guys that could outshred anyone in the universe...
# 2
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/07/2003 2:01 pm
being a shredder isnt necceserily a good thing because then you get the label of not being able write good songs cuz u like to wank off left and right with the guitar.. like lali said earlier practice and master all of those techniques but ull learn one day speed isnt everytihng in a song
In memory of Randy Rhoads
# 3
Hootayah
Hootayah
08/07/2003 2:20 pm
The mark of a great player is someone who can shred but chooses not to.
Hey you kids! Get outta that Jello tree!! :mad:
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/07/2003 2:49 pm
Originally posted by Hootayah
The mark of a great player is someone who can shred but chooses not to.

Yeah! On http://www.guitariste.com, people know I can shred, and when I don't (on blues tunes mostly) I get all those "are you ill?" comments...
When you shred, people say you don't have any feeling, and when you show some feeling, people think you're ill.. I should have picked up a harmonica.. ;)
# 5
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/07/2003 2:57 pm
i have came to a point were i dont care what people think about my playing..im doin because i liek not becuz they do/dont..
# 6
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/07/2003 8:20 pm
I think shredding's generally more fun to do than to listen to other people doing. It's an athletic activity, I don't see why people should say it's soul-less wank, they don't level such criticism at say shotput throwers. Besides, when you can play harmonics with both hands simultaneously and sweep-tap up and down why the hell shouldn't you? Personally I'm finding my playing tedious so I'm going to go back and work on the musician side of my playing and learn to read music, work on perfect pitch etc. It'd mean a lot more to me now to be able to play independent parts with both hands tapping than it would to be able to warp around at silly speeds.
If you're a beginner to shred remember this: tapping's piss easy, it's a trick. Right handed players generally use their weaker left hand to fret and that's the hand that does most of the skilled work. To tap an extra note with your more naturally coordinated hand is very easy. You don't have to think so hard about hand positions or how pitch changes pan out across the strings. Tapping only seems clever because people will think you've exhausted all the possibilities of using only one hand, this ain't the case even if you're Allan Holdsworth.
Another easy way to shred: pick harmonics on 5th, 4th and 3rd frets, this makes a major arpeggio, very easy but still flash.
If I couldn't laugh at myself how could I laugh at someone less ridiculous?
# 7
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/07/2003 11:11 pm
i agree about tapping but its also tedious to do..when tapping you have to worry bout ringing out or hitting other strings and if u have fat fingers big bones or watever it becomes a problem, i dont know many people who can play the eruption part perfectly without any mistakes or ringing out ..yeah there pick tapping but not everybody likes that way
# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
08/08/2003 5:03 am
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hootayah
... When you shred, people say you don't have any feeling, and when you show some feeling, people think you're ill.. [/B]
hmmm... It would seem that you express feeling ill... :p
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/08/2003 9:37 am
Originally posted by u10ajf
It's an athletic activity, I don't see why people should say it's soul-less wank, they don't level such criticism at say shotput throwers.

Well, in art, the tools shouldn"t be more important than the creation. That's what is done in shredding. The shotput guy doesn't show you his practice routine, but how far he throws the ball.
# 10
Seiko_Hejiro
Seiko_Hejiro
08/10/2003 9:11 am
Dude,

You got it all wrong.

YOu need to get a metrinome and practice all the speed exercises, learn some classical stuff, overuse classical style runs in your playing. Over use sweeping and tapping and learn to combine them both into the sweep tap arpeggio. Then you must add some insanely fast 160 bpm 16th note triplet legato in there. Some string skipping, and lots of over the top bending along with tons of super fast scale runs. Once you have the power to run scales faster than God, then you can be a true shredder.

Also learn more music theory than anyone and be a total nerd about it. Also once you reach the pinacle of your playing and music knowledge you must inflate your ego with superfluous songs with insane off beat rhythms and time signatures. The playing must also be harmonized at all chances by a second guitar player with equal skill. Or just double track yourself.

Then once your ego is fully inflated claim to know the most about everyhting. Release about 10 instructional videos that have you shredding but not really explaining any of your techniques or how you play the way you do. Just keep the exercises as purely an audio visual learning experience. And you should be set.

I think that covers everything other than starting a band with a fairly talented group of musicians and a singer that never had his balls drop. And write songs about your life, and the people around you. Or a drug binge you went on. Who knows...

[Edited by Seiko_Hejiro on 08-10-2003 at 04:17 AM]
# 11
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/10/2003 9:49 am
I don't show people my practice routine or they'd show me how far they can throw my guitar! LOL. (I lied, it wasn't even funny). Shredding's a goal you can work on when you don't have inspiration. If you do it well you'll eventually inspire yourself and suddenly soul kicks in. Maybe that's more your level than mine Herve, in the meantime I just enjoy practicing and waiting.
# 12
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/10/2003 3:01 pm
Originally posted by u10ajf
Shredding's a goal you can work on when you don't have inspiration. If you do it well you'll eventually inspire yourself and suddenly soul kicks in. Maybe that's more your level than mine Herve, in the meantime I just enjoy practicing and waiting.

Well, that's very good to strive for technical excellence, but to be quite franck (can I be frank? Yes, can I stay Garth?) Having the tools only help you put what you have in your head through your fingers. If you don't have anything to say, what you play will be uninspired, be it three notes blues licks or 16th notes string skipping tapping . That's where "life" comes in. If you read, go to museum, see movies, listen to other people's music, other countries music, you'll find yourself with other stuff to say, in words AND in music. That's what makes a difference between, let's say, Rusty Cooley and Steve VAI. The first one is a true shredder, with dang scary chops, and the latter is an amazing musician, that happens to have chops to spare... ;)
# 13
Autark
Autark
08/11/2003 8:54 am
OK, you're right, but the topic is not about shredding, it's about tehniques used in shredding...
# 14
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
08/11/2003 9:30 am
Originally posted by Autark
OK, you're right, but the topic is not about shredding, it's about tehniques used in shredding...

You've had your answer then.
# 15
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/11/2003 4:25 pm
There is no short cut, you'll have to practice tons of scales and arpeggios, harmonics etc. If you want to go the whole way learn to play wrong-handedly so you can tap brilliantly.
# 16
ketsueki15
ketsueki15
08/11/2003 10:31 pm
why is it that allot of people are lookin for that short cut or magic pill..go ahead, set ur pick under the pillow and wait for the magic chops farie to come at night and youll be shredding the next day..pple keep askin how did you do that..how did yu get so fast or what not..PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE, there is no other way to get chops liek the pros besides practice
# 17
u10ajf
u10ajf
08/12/2003 8:13 am
If you can handle the prospect of being really crap at something then cut out the stuff you can play properly and practice things you can't. That's why I'm learning to play left handed, it's doing my tapping a heap of good.
# 18
Fruitbat
Fruitbat
08/12/2003 9:44 am
I learnt most of my shred techniques from getting the music book for 'Flying in a blue dream' and trying to play along to the CD. When shredding's done like it is on tracks like 'Cant slow down' and 'Back to shalla bal' no way could it be called mechanical fretwanking . For learning tapping you cant do much better than practising 'Headless' and 'Day at the beach'. 'Day..' is one hell of a beautifully soulful track. My propblem is Ive got quite short stubby fingers so tapping above the 15th fret's a bit tricky.
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.