11/17/2023 12:35 am

I am having difficulty holding down a string without touching the next string

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
11/17/2023 1:19 am

Very common when beginning. You don't mention what chord(s) you are working on, but slow everything down and slowly build the chord making adjustments to finger positions until you can pick each note cleanly. Note that your elbow will effect the angle of the fingers, so play around moving it forward and backward.

When you get a clean chord take your hand off and repeat. Overtime your chords will ring out cleanly.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/17/2023 11:18 pm

Hi George,

I agree with William - and thank you William for your good advice!!

I would only add that after experimenting with the angle of your fingers, wrist, shoulder, etc., until you are able to dial in the best tone you can at this time - FREEZE and take a moment to notice -and make a mental note of - what it is that made the difference. Angle? Pressure? Sequence of how the fingers went down? All of the above? 

This is the sweet spot of the learning - you've experimented, learned the best way you can manage at this time, but don't leave the scene without these two points in mind:

1. I DID it! (even if it was only once). The fact that you did it means you are capable of doing it. Not every time, right off the bat - but it has been done!

2. This is HOW I did it! (making note of micro-specifics of what led you to find improved tone). 

The physical-learning, by its nature, takes time. Keep at it, keep making the necessary adjustments, and eventually your fingers will memorize their best technique. 

One more possible variable: guitars differ in terms of how far apart the strings are from one another. How much room each fingertip has to press down the note. You might try a classical (nylon string) guitar for a bit, if you can get your hands on one. They have a wider neck, and softer-on-the-fingertips-strings. 

Have fun  - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 3
hesteranecarpenterel
hesteranecarpenterel
12/06/2023 9:12 am

Actually, when I first started practicing guitar, I had the same situation as you. There are many methods for change. First you need to get used to it to group the wires more easily. Only practice can lead to success.

snake io

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.