Switching to 12 Gauge Strings

olivecorduroy
Full Access
olivecorduroy
Full Access
11/03/2023 7:55 am

Hello,

So I am thinking about switching from 10 gauge strings to 12 gauge strings on my electric guitar…I mostly play open power chords and power chords with some walk downs/ups and connecting licks between chord changes…pretty much just a rhythm player…no lead stuff…my question is, am I going to have a difficult time adjusting to the heavier strings after having gotten so used to lighter gauge strings…my apprehension is that my hand and finger strength has gotten pretty lazy over time and that it will be too difficult to build up that strength without getting too frustrated.

Thank you,

George

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/03/2023 9:07 am

Hey George,

You'll notice a difference in the force needed to fret, pick, pluck or strum the strings but it won't be nearly as noticeable as going from 10's to 12's on an acoustic guitar. If you are truly just strumming low string power chords then the switch should be easy. However if your playing style includes bending, vibrato, hammer-ons, pull-offs, or other string manipulations then your fretting hand is going to have to work significantly harder with thicker strings. In that case, it would likely take at least a week or two to strengthen the involved muscles and fortify your fingertip calluses.

Using "dropped D tuning" makes playing low-rooted power chords less taxing on the fretting hand altogether as it allows you to play most power chords with just one finger. All you have to do is tune the low E string down one full step to a D.

Again, if you're looking to just rock out on power chords (sounds fun!) then you could probably even switch to barbed wire without much of an adjustment period.😋

Sascha

edited
# 2

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.