GT please respond

Bobk42
Full Access
Bobk42
Full Access
10/22/2023 9:03 pm

Given the current choices of the new songs lessons being offered since the loss of those 330 can you please inform us subscribers if you're planning on phasing out song lessons altogether in the future.  It doesn't seem like we're getting the same quality and diversity of songs anymore.  Give us some insight.

# 1
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/22/2023 9:19 pm

You'll have better luck posting this request to the "Guitar Tricks Site" forum which is constantly monitored by GT administrators.

# 2
Bobk42
Full Access
Bobk42
Full Access
10/22/2023 10:11 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

You'll have better luck posting this request to the "Guitar Tricks Site" forum which is constantly monitored by GT administrators.

It wouldn't matter where I post it, they'll never give a real answer.

# 3
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
10/22/2023 11:56 pm

You must have at least a flicker of hope that they will respond or you wouldn't have posted your plea for an explanation. Posting that particular demand/request anywhere but the "Guitar Tricks Site" Forum is a waste of time.

Understand that GT leases copyrighted songs in bundles rather than negotiating for each song separately.  When a lease on one of these song bundles expires it can't always be renewed. Consequently, whole bundles of songs sometimes get dropped simultaneously. This isn't just a guess on my part. This info is straight from the horse's mouth.

Sascha

edited
# 4
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
10/23/2023 6:36 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

You must have at least a flicker of hope that they will respond or you wouldn't have posted your plea for an explanation. Posting that particular demand/request anywhere but the "Guitar Tricks Site" Forum is a waste of time.

Understand that GT leases copyrighted songs in bundles rather than negotiating for each song separately.  When a lease on one of these song bundles expires it can't always be renewed. Consequently, whole bundles of songs sometimes get dropped simultaneously. This isn't just a guess on my part. This info is straight from the horse's mouth.

Sascha

Amen!

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 5
BrokenSolo
BrokenSolo
11/10/2023 12:08 am
#4 Originally Posted by: aliasmaximus

Sascha

Does this mean we should wait for the ancient and obscure Rolling Stones song bundle to expire and hope it gets replaced by a fabulous new bundle that sets the guitar world alight.

# 6
aliasmaximus
aliasmaximus
11/10/2023 12:38 am

Pretty much, yep

edited
# 7
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
11/10/2023 11:27 am

Hmm. This horse is dead/dying. Look for better elsewhere. GT is not what it was. 

# 8
innocci
innocci
11/10/2023 10:18 pm
#8 Originally Posted by: W3

Hmm. This horse is dead/dying. Look for better elsewhere. GT is not what it was. 

Definitely not what it was, True Fire will probably try to take over GT like they did Jamplay. They claim it was a merger with Jamplay, but it wasn't. 

# 9
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
11/11/2023 11:17 am

True Fire is definitely up there on all things guitar. GT decided to just ignore subscribers while promising better days. Hmm. Not working out so well. 

# 10
TGSMi
Full Access
TGSMi
Full Access
11/26/2023 11:10 am

Frankly, I don’t understand all the whining. What are you here for ? To learn the guitar ? Well then, you’ve got plenty of excellent quality teaching material here, if you’re willing to take a look at it and to work at it. And if you do, and master the skills taught, you will be able to learn all the songs you want on your own…

I checked the True Fire website, and none of the instructors inspire me much. Guitar Tricks took me from zero guitar knowledge to being able to play in a group, and to play and sing songs in front of a kind audience in 2 years (thank you Lisa !). I intend to stick around until I am done with all the Style Courses I want to learn, and probably longer still…

Please stop whining, and get to work ?!

The only real failure is the failure to try.

# 11
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
11/27/2023 11:17 am

Lil Owl, after playing guitar for two whole years, I can’t argue with you. 

# 12
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
11/27/2023 3:00 pm
#11 Originally Posted by: TGSMi

Frankly, I don’t understand all the whining. What are you here for ? To learn the guitar ? Well then, you’ve got plenty of excellent quality teaching material here, if you’re willing to take a look at it and to work at it. And if you do, and master the skills taught, you will be able to learn all the songs you want on your own…

I checked the True Fire website, and none of the instructors inspire me much. Guitar Tricks took me from zero guitar knowledge to being able to play in a group, and to play and sing songs in front of a kind audience in 2 years (thank you Lisa !). I intend to stick around until I am done with all the Style Courses I want to learn, and probably longer still…

A superb post to start my Monday.  

The more we learn the more we discover how much we do not know -- Yoda

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 13
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
jibran.shahid123
Full Access
01/10/2024 8:12 am
#11 Originally Posted by: TGSMi

Seconded

# 14
vimalzubaa
vimalzubaa
01/11/2024 5:14 pm

Hmm. This horse is dead/dying.

# 15
Idle strummer
Full Access
Idle strummer
Full Access
02/20/2024 10:44 pm

I have sympathy with both points of view. GT isn’t the site it once was, but it does still have some really good lessons.

Two years ago I would have recommended it to anyone. Today I’d recommended it to beginners and improvers, wishing to improve/learn technique and theory. 
Anyone just wanting a reliable source of great lessons on classic rock songs of the 60’s and 70’s might have to look elsewhere……

I sincerely doubt that the lost 300+ classics will miraculously reappear any time soon. Disappointing I know, but I suspect GT has decided, not withstanding the licensing difficulties, that it can’t rely on greedy music publishers to offer reasonable terms and old guys like me are not their market going forward. The lack of response from GT to users posts is just a reflection of the difficulty in communicating a revised business model which is guaranteed to piss off a sizeable percentage of their customers. Maintaining radio silence instead? Not sure that’s working either……..

That said, the current diet of obscure Stones tracks, republication of excellent songs previously published on GT and music all ready in the public realm seems a bizarre/desperate strategy!

So I’ll enjoy it for what it is and seek alternatives for all the lost song lessons.

# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.