2/4 timing and extra or missing notes

crowtrobot313
crowtrobot313
08/29/2023 4:29 pm

So I'm working on the a team tv theme song tabs and want to break down the timing on tabs.  I'm using a tab app.

I read 2/4 is one two one two etc.  However sometimes with single notes there are extra notes or less notes.  How do I count those if it's not two per bar?  Quarter notes FYI 

Are they always let ring if it's less notes in a measure?

I have plenty more timing questions that I'll post after work probably.

Thanks!

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
09/01/2023 4:06 pm

crowtrobot313, great question - and this is one place where tablature does NOT always provide us all the information we need - like, how long a note should last within a measure, etc. 

One option would be for you to see if you can find a standard-notation version of the song you are working on, and use the note-values represented in the measures that correspond to the the TAB version you are using, to see if you can de-code the timing.

Another option is to see if you can find a recording of the piece to listen to - slow it down if necessary, and see if you can actually HEAR how the timing is supposed to play out in those mystery-measures.

Hope this helps a little!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
crowtrobot313
crowtrobot313
09/05/2023 1:49 am

@ Lisa- the standard notation idea is a great one.  I kind of have a just of it but know it's more detailed than some tabs.

actually the app I'm using is animated so it will play and slow down its just hard to visualize in static mode.  I'll definitely see about comparing notation.  and some tabs are certainly better than others I agree.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.