Single Guitar Arrangements vis a vis Other Learning Sites

ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
07/23/2023 3:51 pm

About three years ago when I started looking for songs to learn I did a free trial of Jam Play, True Fire and Guitar Tricks.  I ended up picking Guitar Tricks for two reasons.  1) The song catalog suited my tastes (which has now shrunk considerably), and 2) At the end of most song lessons there is a section where the instructor says “if you want to play this song on one guitar play guitar 1 or such and such and guitar 2 for this and that etc.  Plus providing a notation, and a performance video for that single guitar arrangement. I was, and continue to be, pretty impressed with how those one guitar arrangements sound.  I’m never going to play in a band, so those one guitar arrangements are perfect for me to play for family and friends.  That is what has been keeping me here.

With the loss of so many of the songs that I still wanted to learn on Guitar Tricks, and now hearing that Jam Play and True Fire have combined access, I thought I should take another look.  So this morning  I poked around a handful of song titles that would interest me, and looked at the lesson outlines.  I see that a lot of them have a “simple” campfire version, which is not what I’m looking for (I can’t sing to save my life). But none listed a “single guitar” arrangement.  For those who have used those other sites; Is there something comparable to the GT single guitar version on those sites that I’m not seeing?  

I won’t give up my GT membership (there is still a lot I want to do here), but wondering if it is worth subscribing to one of the others sites as a supplement for songs.

Thanks

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/23/2023 4:54 pm

What they are doing with a single guitar performance is concentrating on the "meat" of the song. Which can be done quite easily once you know the song structure.

While it's not a site like GT or TF, Karaoke Version is a tremendous site that allows a user to download custom backing tracks for virtually every song you could think of. I've not been disappointed yet. So, you can pick drums, bass and vocals as an example - you supply the guitar. With Karaoke V you can use any teaching site or YouTube video, get the meat of the song down and have your own backing track to play to.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Idle strummer
Full Access
Idle strummer
Full Access
07/23/2023 6:59 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ScubaCPA

About three years ago when I started looking for songs to learn I did a free trial of Jam Play, True Fire and Guitar Tricks.  I ended up picking Guitar Tricks for two reasons.  1) The song catalog suited my tastes (which has now shrunk considerably), and 2) At the end of most song lessons there is a section where the instructor says “if you want to play this song on one guitar play guitar 1 or such and such and guitar 2 for this and that etc.  Plus providing a notation, and a performance video for that single guitar arrangement. I was, and continue to be, pretty impressed with how those one guitar arrangements sound.  I’m never going to play in a band, so those one guitar arrangements are perfect for me to play for family and friends.  That is what has been keeping me here.

With the loss of so many of the songs that I still wanted to learn on Guitar Tricks, and now hearing that Jam Play and True Fire have combined access, I thought I should take another look.  So this morning  I poked around a handful of song titles that would interest me, and looked at the lesson outlines.  I see that a lot of them have a “simple” campfire version, which is not what I’m looking for (I can’t sing to save my life). But none listed a “single guitar” arrangement.  For those who have used those other sites; Is there something comparable to the GT single guitar version on those sites that I’m not seeing?  

I won’t give up my GT membership (there is still a lot I want to do here), but wondering if it is worth subscribing to one of the others sites as a supplement for songs.

Thanks

I’m also never likely to play in a band, but really like the single guitar lessons as, once I’ve learned the component parts, I have something to play that sounds reasonable.

Likewise I won’t be dropping my GT subscription anytime soon, as it still has a lot of great songs.

I’ve moved on from the disappointment of the huge song loss and looked around for ways to backfill lessons for the classic songs lost.

I don’t think there is a simple replacement for the lost GT content, which stood out because it had structure and included tabs and notation. I therefore think that the best solution for me will be some sort of hybrid approach.

I’d give a shoutout for Guitar365. Carl Brown does an excellent job of breaking parts down, often giving suggestions for one or two guitar solutions. The range of songs covers a fair few of the “missing 300’!
The downside is the absence of notation and backing tracks, but there are a lot of options available. However, he teaches pretty slowly so you can easily write your own notation.

Guitar365’s Lynyrd Skynrd songs are limited, so I’ve looked for some other alternatives. Scott Raines of APB does some decent tracks, I’d be grateful if anyone has any better recommendations.

# 3
innocci
innocci
07/23/2023 7:08 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ScubaCPA

Thanks

I was with jamplay for years along with guitar tricks. I’ve looked at true fire and wasn’t interested, then they merged with jamplay and completely ruined jamplay, so I cancelled my subscription after about 13 years. I’ll stick with guitar tricks, but for songs I use the Songsterr app. 

# 4
ScubaCPA
Full Access
ScubaCPA
Full Access
07/23/2023 7:33 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: innocci

I was with jamplay for years along with guitar tricks. I’ve looked at true fire and wasn’t interested, then they merged with jamplay and completely ruined jamplay, so I cancelled my subscription after about 13 years. I’ll stick with guitar tricks, but for songs I use the Songsterr app. 

Thanks.  I have looked at Songsterr, but only the free version.  It looks great if you want to learn the separate guitar parts, and some songs have three, four or more guitar parts.  But I don’t see any single guitar arrangements (same problem that I have with Ultimate Guitar).  Or is there something that accomplishes that if you pay for the premium version?  If so I’d gladly pay.

Gary

[Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro (2), Fender Player Stratocaster (2), Fender Player Telecaster (2), Squire CV 60's Stratocaster, Hamer Ecotone, Yamaha APX600 (2), Epiphone ES-339, GTX-100 (2), Spark 40 (2), Spark Mini.]

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.