Guitarist - Gig Mental Toolbelt

crimmunity
Full Access
crimmunity
Full Access
07/12/2023 8:48 pm

Hi guys

As I find my guitar skills finally improving to what maybe viewable by non-family/friends audience it got me to thinking.  Just what do you need to make you not look like a clown?

For example, a while ago my work put on a company day type thing where the higher-ups talked their stuff and it was intermingled with a live band to support their demonstrations.  Then there was some audience inclusion of birthdays and the manager asked for "Happy Birthday" to be played by the band and they just looked at each other clueless, with the manager dumbfoundedly stuttering "but you're musicians"...

There was some long service awards and the band was asked to play something, I forget what, but like really commonly known by Joe Public to sing along to.  Maybe Cliff Richard "congratulation and celebrations", maybe something else in a similar vain.  But again the band looked at each other and the crowd expectation that the band should know something so basic but didn't... left a bad impression in general.

They knew their set songs and played them really well.  So they did practice and know their stuff.  They just didn't know those 30s snippets of general interaction

Obviously this wasn't a pub gig or a theatre gig, it was a corporate gig.  But maybe weddings would benefit from this too?  Or not?

So what audience-interaction licks or short snippets are really useful to know?  The ones I can think of are:
* Happy Birthday
* Licks for Celebrations
* Chopin Funeral March (someone messed up but we're just messin with them)
* Stuff for oopsies
* Any other ideas?

Is there an expected list of snippets that musicians are expected to know?
Or does this stuff just not come up?

# 1
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
07/18/2023 7:09 pm

Derrick is spot on.

# 3

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.