Why is the D5 chord not the same?


cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
07/12/2023 7:07 pm

So I am a beginner guitar player and I am going through the lessons in Guitar Tricks.  After I finish my practice I flip over to Guitar Pro and I am just trying to learn "Rumble" (Link Wray)  The 1st chord is shown as a D5/A.  Looking it up the description says its a inverted D5 power chord and the sheet shows it as this:



A in the 3rd fret D in the 2 fret


So I looked it up on GuitarChord*org and It shows the chord as:



D5/A as D and G in the 7th fret


Then I went to GuitarTricks toolset and I looked up the chord and it shows it as this:



G B in the 5th and 7th fret and bunch of variations that are all over ...


 


None of these are the same.....


How am I supposed to know how to play a chord that I cannot find a diagram for??


Well I guess I cannot post images...


 


edited
# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,313
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,313
07/12/2023 8:41 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: cjjeeper

So I am a beginner guitar player and I am going through the lessons in Guitar Tricks.  After I finish my practice I flip over to Guitar Pro and I am just trying to learn "Rumble" (Link Wray)  The 1st chord is shown as a D5/A.  Looking it up the description says its a inverted D5 power chord and the sheet shows it as this:



A in the 3rd fret D in the 2 fret


So I looked it up on GuitarChord*org and It shows the chord as:



D5/A as D and G in the 7th fret


Then I went to GuitarTricks toolset and I looked up the chord and it shows it as this:



G B in the 5th and 7th fret and bunch of variations that are all over ...


 


None of these are the same.....


How am I supposed to know how to play a chord that I cannot find a diagram for??


Well I guess I cannot post images...


 

Hey & welcome!  There are many different ways to voice any given chord.  If you see the symbol D5 all it means is to play a D & A note together somehow, somewhere on the guitar.  Adding the /A (slash A) means to play an A as the lowest or bass note of the power chord.  But just the chord symbol doesn't tell you exactly where or how to play it.


You need to know the specific voicing to use for the specific song you are learning. 


In the case of this song, that D5/A (actually a Dsus2/A) to E is played like this.


|--0--0--|--0----|
|--3--3--|--0----| 
|--2--3--|--1----| 
|--0--0--|--2----| 
|--0--0--|--2----|
|--------|--0----|  


I suggest looking for authentic notation versions like this one on musicnotes.com so you have some degree of authenticity about the transcription.


https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0051407


Hope that helps!


edited
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
07/12/2023 11:01 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

Hey & welcome!  There are many different ways to voice any given chord.  If you see the symbol D5 all it means is to play a D & A note together somehow, somewhere on the guitar.  Adding the /A (slash A) means to play an A as the lowest or bass note of the power chord.  But just the chord symbol doesn't tell you exactly where or how to play it.


You need to know the specific voicing to use for the specific song you are learning. 


In the case of this song, that D5/A (actually a Dsus2/A) to E is played like this.


|--0--0--|--0----|
|--3--3--|--0----| 
|--2--3--|--1----| 
|--0--0--|--2----| 
|--0--0--|--2----|
|--------|--0----|  


I suggest looking for authentic notation versions like this one on musicnotes.com so you have some degree of authenticity about the transcription.


https://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0051407


Hope that helps!

That does help.  Thanks!  Much Appreciated.


I will bookmark that site.


# 3
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,313
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,313
07/13/2023 1:49 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: cjjeeper

That does help.  Thanks!  Much Appreciated.


I will bookmark that site.

You're welcome!  Have fun playing the tune!


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 4
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
07/13/2023 4:53 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

You're welcome!  Have fun playing the tune!

okay maybe this question is really newbie, but how do I figure out what fingers to use for the chord?


# 5
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,313
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Joined: 08/09/05
Posts: 8,313
07/13/2023 5:28 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: cjjeeper

okay maybe this question is really newbie, but how do I figure out what fingers to use for the chord?

You should probably work through the fundamentals course in order to gain a basic understanding of how chords are commonly fretted & why.


https://www.guitartricks.com/course/fundamentals1


In general aim for the principle of efficiency of motion.  There are basic standards, such as use one finger per fret, index finger for lowest fret, going higher with additional fingers.  But sometimes concrete rules like that don't work because you need more than one finger in the same fret, notes are too close or too far apart for that rule depending on the musical context.


In this case, start with the basic open D chord fingering:  index finger on the A (2nd fret, G string), ring finger on the D (3rd fret, B string).  You don't need your middle finger in this voicing (normally on the F# 2nd fret high E string).


Hope that helps!


Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 6
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
cjjeeper
Full Access
Joined: 06/28/23
Posts: 4
07/13/2023 6:08 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

You should probably work through the fundamentals course in order to gain a basic understanding of how chords are commonly fretted & why.


https://www.guitartricks.com/course/fundamentals1


In general aim for the principle of efficiency of motion.  There are basic standards, such as use one finger per fret, index finger for lowest fret, going higher with additional fingers.  But sometimes concrete rules like that don't work because you need more than one finger in the same fret, notes are too close or too far apart for that rule depending on the musical context.


In this case, start with the basic open D chord fingering:  index finger on the A (2nd fret, G string), ring finger on the D (3rd fret, B string).  You don't need your middle finger in this voicing (normally on the F# 2nd fret high E string).


Hope that helps!

it does...Thank you!


 


# 7
mswifty66
Registered User
Joined: 09/23/22
Posts: 1
mswifty66
Registered User
Joined: 09/23/22
Posts: 1
07/14/2023 1:08 am
#1 Originally Posted by: cjjeeper

So I am a beginner guitar player and I am going through the lessons in Guitar Tricks.  After I finish my practice I flip over to Guitar Pro and I am just trying to learn "Rumble" (Link Wray)  The 1st chord is shown as a D5/A.  Looking it up the description says its a inverted D5 power chord and the sheet shows it as this:



A in the 3rd fret D in the 2 fret


So I looked it up on GuitarChord*org and It shows the chord as:



D5/A as D and G in the 7th fret


Then I went to GuitarTricks toolset and I looked up the chord and it shows it as this:



G B in the 5th and 7th fret and bunch of variations that are all over ...


 


None of these are the same.....


How am I supposed to know how to play a chord that I cannot find a diagram for??


Well I guess I cannot post images...


 

boy....you guys are all great, compared to me....i just clocked the worst all time score on the neck notes game....should change my name to pure flunky...these notes....and trying to read music and scales....looks like Mandarin Chinese to me. I'll just keep on a learning. ( Do you think they have a special course on this site for 68 yr, old dumb old farts? šŸ¤£ 


# 8
rahulkull256
Registered User
Joined: 09/28/23
Posts: 3
rahulkull256
Registered User
Joined: 09/28/23
Posts: 3
09/28/2023 5:14 pm

Hello Everyone!


# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.