Greetings from Edinburgh, Scotland

CanalRunner
Full Access
CanalRunner
Full Access
07/03/2023 1:17 pm

Hello fellow GT folks,

After 40 something years of thinking playing & understanding music was really an "other people" skill, I decided to prove to myself and others that is no longer the case. So now I am 14 days into starting to learning the guitar and I am really enjoying the clarity and energy of the GT tutorials. A few notable things spurred on my decision to reverse a mindset of 40 plus years: 

1) Listening to the audio book of Trevor Horn's biography "Adventures in Modern Recording" where he not only describes his role in producing some of the seminal bands of the 80s and 90s (Art of Noise, Frankie goes to Hollywood etc), but he also describes the joy of *learning* to play guitar 

2) Realising that whenever I needed energy, I would listen to the guitar based rock of my early years

3) Realising that the same skills you use to learn a new professional skill or train for a big sports event can just as well apply to musical skills

4) Having a few pints and saying "I think I will learn the guitar out loud" 

Good wishes to everyone on the same journey.

# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
07/03/2023 1:33 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: CanalRunner

Hello fellow GT folks,

After 40 something years of thinking playing & understanding music was really an "other people" skill, I decided to prove to myself and others that is no longer the case. So now I am 14 days into starting to learning the guitar and I am really enjoying the clarity and energy of the GT tutorials. A few notable things spurred on my decision to reverse a mindset of 40 plus years: 

1) Listening to the audio book of Trevor Horn's biography "Adventures in Modern Recording" where he not only describes his role in producing some of the seminal bands of the 80s and 90s (Art of Noise, Frankie goes to Hollywood etc), but he also describes the joy of *learning* to play guitar 

2) Realising that whenever I needed energy, I would listen to the guitar based rock of my early years

3) Realising that the same skills you use to learn a new professional skill or train for a big sports event can just as well apply to musical skills

4) Having a few pints and saying "I think I will learn the guitar out loud" 

Good wishes to everyone on the same journey.

Welcome, good analogy. Consistency pays dividends in guitar just as in any other aspect of life. 

Best of luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
07/03/2023 1:49 pm

Welcome!

Thiink I’ll have a pint myself.

Rumble

# 3
CanalRunner
Full Access
CanalRunner
Full Access
07/03/2023 4:01 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Welcome, good analogy. Consistency pays dividends in guitar just as in any other aspect of life. 

Best of luck.

Thanks William. Consistency for sure. Also i might argue these parallels apply too: 

1) Preparing (mentally and practically) in advance so you reduce the willpower and effort needed to actually start training
2) The ability to ignore discomfort (guitar fingers is nothing to the feeling of soreness after a decent hill run)
3) Not getting bogged down in theory when what's really needed is reps (something the GT tutors are very good at emphasising)
4) Learning not to judge your own performance by that of others (except when you do need to!!)   

Anyhoo, thanks again for the welcome

# 4
CanalRunner
Full Access
CanalRunner
Full Access
07/03/2023 4:01 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Welcome!

Thiink I’ll have a pint myself.

Rumble

Thanks mate

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.