5. Black Sabbath '99
JAMES HETFIELD IS JESUS
# 1
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
05/29/2001 8:55 pm
I saw Eric Johnson in a really low key performance at a music store. I used to work there and so I was tipped off that he was coming and got tickets...anyway...I saw the whole gig front row..and I was no more than 4 feet away from him the whole gig! Very cool.
Free Backing Tracks At GuitarVoice.com!

"The pursuit of easy things makes men weak."

David O. McKay
# 2
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
05/30/2001 5:03 am

Yeah dude, I saw Eric J a few months ago at a local venue. I was second row, but hey, I still got to see his whole performance from about 8 feet away.

Very cool indeed.
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
05/31/2001 6:42 pm
I ssw Erivc Johnson a few years ago, hes an amazing musiian who really cares about precision, (which is far from most musicians intentions as of late.):rolleyes: But his playing is really emotional live on stage, you can almost feel what hes going through. This guy is a true musician, its not enough to just listen to his cassettes at home, you have to experience the man live...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4
overdrive
overdrive
05/31/2001 7:29 pm
I just recently saw Rik Emmite live at a small concert hall. He played for Triuph a long time ago. He blew me away. He didn't exactly play my kind of music but still the man is amazing.
Bubbachuck
# 5
eljison
eljison
07/25/2001 6:32 am
I just got back from the Eric Clapton World Tour (July 24th, 2001 at the United Center in Chicago)! warm up band was a bit lame (cross between old clapton and robin trower but not very well done)... Clapton opened up with an acoustic version of "Key to the Highway" that kicked ass! the show was incredible. Billy Preston ("the fifth Beatle") was on keyboards and Buddy Guy joined in on 3 songs including "Hoochie, Koochie Man"! Other highlights, acoustic version of "Bell Bottom Blues", "Tears in Heaven", electric version of "Layla" and "Sunshine of Your Love"... He also did "Badge" and finished the show with, get this, a soulful jazzy rendition of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"! I highly recommend the show to any would be guitarist (especially rock/blues types). the top three all-time shows I've seen are:
1. Eric Clapton (this tour, sorry, I hadn't seen him before)
2. Paul McCartney, "Flowers in the Dirt" tour ~1990 (opening show at the L.A. Forum he did mucho Beatles and Wings... final show at Sundevil Stadium wasn't nearly as good)
3. U2, "The Joshua Tree" tour, Las Vegas, NV ~1986ish
smaller venue guitarists...
4. Larry Carlton at some vineyard in Temecula, CA.
5. Phil Keaggy (acoustic concert at a local church in Las Vegas)
6. Sting at the Alladin Theater, Las Vegas ~1989.
sorry, I haven't seen many shows recently...
Concerts I wish I never missed:
1. SRV
2. Pink Floyd
3. Rush
I am a big Zepp fan, too, but I heard they were pretty bad in concert... though I'm sure they had there better shows.
# 6
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/25/2001 2:59 pm
Very low-key show. Only 150 people there...and I was no more than 3 feet from him the whole show! Very cool.

David O. McKay
# 7
eljison
eljison
07/25/2001 3:52 pm
Hi acoustic...,
good call on Keaggy. The guys fretwork is second to none and he has to be the most humble guy I've ever seen... a "true" christian!
I think the song "Time" could've been a great cross-over tune...some of his best guitar work, especially the live version. I tend to stick to his instrumentals since the spiritual stuff does get a bit much. He does have a great voice and some of his writing is reminiscent of McCartney.
Have you heard any of his early stuff with Glass Harp? They toured behind Yes and Chicago in the 70's and Hendrix is quoted as calling the then 17 y/o Keaggy "the world's greatest guitarist". It's hard to find but worth the effort, however it is definitely 70's through and through... just exchange the "free love-isms" with "God's-love-isms"... I think I just coined some new words!
Play on.

Originally posted by acoustic_guitar
Christoph;

Phil Keaggy only plays Christian music with heavy emphasis on the Spiritual realm. He's quite extra-ordinary and must have God on his side when he plays (obviously)....

I coined a term for Phil many years ago namely "Keaggyisms". What are they? They are specific modes he tends to gravitate towards.

...when the Spiritual side kicks in - watch out. It's sometimes too much.

I think his best album was "Emerging" back in the late 70's early 80's time frame.

# 8
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
fendermonkey77
MORE COWBELL!
07/25/2001 4:06 pm
This guy actually has an instructional video out (kinda like Hot Licks but by some other company...I have it at home but forget who manufacters the thing). He goes into his WILD alternate tunings. Check out the video if you ever get a chance.

David O. McKay
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.