string action

TheTrooper
TheTrooper
07/08/2003 5:41 am
hey I always hear people talking about the action on their guitar. I don't know anything about action. How does changing your action affect the sound. Anyways can someone please like tell me as much as they can about it. What should my action be for like heavy metal , should it be high, low?? Also what string gages should I use?? If any of you play heavy metal could you let me know what your setup is like your action and the strings you use. Also what cause the strings to buzz because my low e string is buzzing and I just got the guitar today. Its a brian Moore i8

thanks

[Edited by TheTrooper on 07-08-2003 at 12:43 AM]
# 1
darkserpent
darkserpent
07/08/2003 8:01 am
hey man, congrats on the new guitar...

action setup is a subjective issue. i see it as a personal preferance as opposed to the existence of an ideal action. if you play clean + single coils, it helps if have a relatively high action. this will improve single note definition & sustain. for those who shred, they prefer very low action, so low that once the strings are picked, it'll rattle against the fret wire & buzz. technically, this ain't string buzz, it's an eliptical phenomenon due to a lowered action. true fret buzz will occur even if you have high action.

my action is pretty low- 2mm (bass side) & 1.5mm (treble), measured @ the 12th fret. i love to play fast & this is an ideal personal action to help me concentrate on my playing without inducing lethargy, which will result in mistakes. FYI, i'm using a set of .009s. only my PRS has a slightly higher action (2.5mm bass + slightly >1.5mm treble)as i have a a slightly thicker set there- .0095s

this low action is also suitable for Black Metal stuff. i pedal bass notes & it helps to have low action.

i talked to Paul Gilbert once (during his clinic) he has super low action on his guitars & they rattle even when he doesn't pick hard. i asked if he can live with such annoyance & his reply was that the very low action helps his playing. it's ok as long as it doesn't come through the amp. i have embraced this philosophy ever since.

whoa... talked too much already. hope this helps!
# 2
Air
Air
07/08/2003 11:45 am
WOOOOAAAAAA!!!
You've talked to paul gilbert!?
what was he like? u must live somewhere in korea or something right?
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
07/08/2003 6:37 pm
If your e-string buzz , it might just be old strings ... If it's gone by getting a new pack of strings , then it's ok.

I'm mostly into Heavy & Shred guitar music, & I prefere slightly high action and .010's gauge strings , and I feel they're right for both tone and my playability ... I believe that playability can be adapted , I can be very sloppy if I played through .008's and low action , and people who play .008's get sloppy on my guitars too , but I think I get better tone.

If your still confused , I say go and experiment different setups & string gauges yourself on the same guitar to get significant conclusions , after few months you'll know which is the perfect setup for you.
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.