Slash's Equipment

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/29/2003 3:07 pm
I've been downloading alot of Guns 'N Roses songs (Sweet Child 'O Mine, Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle, the cover of Knockin on' Heaven's Door, etc), and I really like Slash's guitar-style. The band reminds me of Led Zeppelin, but a little cleaner, and less shreddy.

I know Slash plays a Les Paul, but I'm not sure what his amp is, Axle_Rose, or anyone know?

I play a Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Plus, but I will be moving up to the Gibson Les Paul Standard, or maybe the custom (haven't decided), because the GLPDC doesn't have the same kind of tone a standard has (the GLPDC is chambered, which i don't like).

So back to the subject...Is the LP modded in any way? What humbuckers does he use?

# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
06/29/2003 3:29 pm
Slash plays Marshall (he was the first guitarist ever to have a Marshall signature model !) , don't remember the model name ... Never mind anyway , it was limited and almost impossible to find one these days.
His pickups are Duncan "Alinco II pro" , and his LPs are mostly standard or classic models.
He also uses a Marshall distortion pedal , and Cry Baby (rack?) wah , a Boss equalizer pedal & Monster cables.
# 2
The Haunted made me do it
06/29/2003 3:32 pm
Its funny,i was gonna ask what pedals slash uses.
Iam thinking of geting the distortion jackhammer and a couple of other marshall pedals.....Any thoughts?
# 3
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
06/29/2003 3:59 pm
He uses Ernie Balls 11s and 1.14mm picks. Seymour Duncan Alnico II pros or 59s.
JCM900 Marshall Amp, or his 2555 Silver Jubilee 50 Marshall for talk box work.

http://www.snakepit.org/equip.html
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/29/2003 4:29 pm
thanks!

# 5
06/29/2003 6:01 pm
Any thoughts on a jackhammer and a boss eq pedal anyone?
# 6
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
06/29/2003 7:38 pm
I dont think he uses a distortion pedal, possibly on Dead Horse, but in general hes a very basic player - Les Paul and Marshall and occasionally a wah pedal
www.gnr.com.ar
http://www.izzystradlin.tk/
# 7
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/29/2003 8:34 pm
I'm pretty sure he uses delay and chorus and reverb pedals, from the songs i've downloaded (maybe not a reverb pedal, if so, its on veeeery slightly).

From what I've heard so far, its hard to say about the EQ, but its never a bad idea to get an EQ pedal in your rig...

# 8
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
06/29/2003 9:07 pm
Yeah he has reverb on Sweet Child O Mine and some others, but its very subtle. I dont think he uses delay at all, but Im no expert.
www.gnr.com.ar
# 9
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
06/29/2003 9:30 pm
The reverb is built into his JCM Marshall head. If you listen to sweet child, for almost the entire song slash is using his wah as a filter. That gives him that sweet pop to every note!
# 10
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/29/2003 10:54 pm
Wow, you guys are quite knowledgable on Slash; Guns 'N Roses must be bigger than I thought they were.

Let me tell you what I like about Slash's guitarstyle:

The melodies! The solo on Sweet Child O' Mine is easy to play, but it's memorable! I haven't heard nearly half of GNR songs yet, and from what i've heard, I love his style.

I used to listen ONLY to the Grateful Dead, and I learned alot from Jerry Garcia. I bought all the Dead's DVD's, and developed a nice style, in the Jerry-Style. Then I bought a Phish DVD, learned some funk, then i bought a James Taylor DVD, learned some fingerpicking...Then I bought two Eric Clapton DVD's, totally blew me away, and learned alot of Clapton...then I bought 2 Pink Floyd DVD's (Dave Gilmour: Live in Concert, Roger Waters: In the Flesh), learned a bunch of Pink Floyd...Then came Led Zeppelin...Then the Allmans...Now GNR.

I'm just amazed at how my tastes have changed from The Grateful Dead to Guns 'N Roses. If you look at that list, you can see the Blues influence kicking in... I still like all the bands on that list, and more (Wes Montgomery, Django Reinhardt, George Benson, Bill Monroe, ALLAN HOLDSWORTH (kicks ass), Santana, etc), but now I favor that slow, melodious approach, rather than the opposite...Although alot of the people on that list are jazzers.

As I'm reviewing my post, I keep having a flashback of me and ponyone arguing because I only listened to the Dead at the time of the argument, and he basically told me to "open your ears!". I would certainly think that I have done so, now.
# 11
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
06/30/2003 2:40 am
What I'm doing right now for leads is very very very interesting. It's hard to put into words, but i'm very happy with it.

It's a little like this...

Slash / Jerry Garcia / Trey Anastasio / Django Reinhardt / Eric Clapton / Dickey Betts / Jimmy Page / Allan Holdsworth

Some of those more than others;
So far, I'm really happy with my tone.

Oh yeah! I remember about 8 months ago, I mentioned my interest in folk music. I came up with a nice hybrid...I'm taking Folk Music, but playing it electric (Bob Dylan type), but with Slash sounding slow melodious and sustaining leads, opposed to the standard country leads over the top. My band plays one full set of Folk Music, but if you heard it, you wouldn't guess it; for folk, we play these tunes (see if you've heard any of these)

I know you Rider
Iko Iko
New Minglewood Blues
Hey Pockey Way
I've been all around this world
Off to Sea Once More
Jack-a-Roe
Goin' Down the Road Feelin Bad
And We Bid you goodnight

I was 'busy being born' (ha, the dylan phrase) in the late 80's, so I can't really say i knew about them being kings.

What also seemed to catch my ear, was the fact that they are VERY good at covers! Knockin' on Heaven's Door, Cats in the Cradle, etc. Very cool.
# 12
Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin
06/30/2003 9:58 pm
GnR didnt do Cats In The Cradle, I havent heard it anyway. Ive seen versions of it on napster, kazaa but its not them, same with Every Rose Has Its Thorn.

They do Live & Let Die, KOHD, Sympathy For The Devil and live they covered more like Salt Of The Earth(w/ the Stones), Whole Lotta Rosie(AcDC) and theres unreleased covers like Heartbreak Hotel, then theres the album of covers The Spaghetti Incident

www.gnr.com.ar
# 13
Ruyard
Ruyard
07/01/2003 4:32 am
Hi everyone, my first post.

Im a HUGE GNR fan and as for slashes eqiup. it is all listed here from his official website:

http://www.snakepit.org/equip.html

# 14
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
07/01/2003 11:21 am
Good time for me to pay homage to what slash has done for my playing...ie: a s**tload.

Slash's legato was the making of me, I used to sit and listen to his soloing over and over to work out how he got the speed and the tone at the same time. Subsequently whenever I play something fast in a solo I tend to do very little picking (although this is starting to change now.)

Slash made me realise how important it was to have a distinctive tone - its one of the things that sets him apart from many players - plus he has a tone that matches his style and anyone who can acomplish this deserves much respect. He also bears in mind the melody of a song when soloing, and thinks about how the chords behind the solo affect how the solo sounds....for example: try playing that awesome scale-based run in the middle of the Sweet Child of Mine solo without the chord progression behind it and you'll find it sounds very different.
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 15
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/01/2003 3:11 pm
Originally posted by PonyOne
Cats In The Cradle=I think was redone by Ugly Kid Joe, whose only other hit was "I Hate Everything About You," featured in Wayne's World
Every Rose Has Its Thorn=Poison, whose other hits include "Unskinny Bop" and "Something To Believe In"

Yeah, when I downloaded it, it didn't sound like Axl singing..But i know that Slash is a big fan of Cat Stevens (who is now known as Yusaf Islam...), and I bet he always wanted to do a cover of that song...

# 16
Axl_Rose
Axl_Rose
07/01/2003 4:24 pm
I think slash is thee greatest guitarist of all time!! LOL Well i do! He is thee sole remaining guitar hero and thee most iconic one ever.
# 17
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
07/01/2003 7:22 pm
i don't think he was the greatest...I think Django Reinhardt was the greatest. he's still good, though.
# 18
07/01/2003 7:38 pm
Slash was THE reason why i started playing guitar when i was 12.
By 9 i was obsessed with Guns N Roses,started playing drums at 10 and then wanted a guitar at 12.
He has influenced my playing a whhhhooole lot.
Him and Kirk Hammet are really the only onces who influence me and who i learn from.
Slash is iconic,for me i would say even more so than Hendrix,simply because i wasnt around when Hendrix was playing,I wasnt there.But I remember seeing the video for "You could be mine" was i was 9 lol,That was My life was changed.
He plays with a lot of energy,intenseity and passion,there really aint many guitarists in mainstream rock that are like that now.

My ultimate goal is to see him live.
**** i forgot,did any of you guys hear last year that he was teaming up with ,Duff,Izzy and Matt?
I read an interview where he basicly stated that they were gonna release something together,i havent heard anything since,but i hope they do,anybody got any updates?

# 19
07/01/2003 9:07 pm
Of course he is a bloody icon of rock.
He is one of the best and most loved guitarits of all time,like hendrix and he has one of the most familier images of all time.

Face it Vetren,we dont all live in the 50s,60s or 70s for that matter,Guitar icons of our genaration are people like the mighty Slash,Hammet, and others,time moves on!!!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.