View post (time signatures)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/18/2003 7:17 am
Originally posted by griphon2
Think what you want. You ain't getting what I am saying.
3/4 is 3 quarters to the bar. Nothing more nothing less.
4/4 is 4 quarters to the bar. Nothing more nothing less.
3/2 is 3 halfs to the bar. Nothing more nothing less.
6/8 is 6 eigths to the bar. Nothing more nothing less, unless you do the math.

Yeah your right. But your missing the point I'm trying to explain to you. Ok, let's say I play a Waltz (3/4) and then I play something in 4/4?? Do you think you could physically tell the difference in time signature? Now I know you can and this is what I'm talking about, "feel". Even if you were to just count it, and always accent the 1. 1, 2, 3, 1, 2, 3, and then 1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3, 4. I garantee you are getting it. Now the bottom number is the other half of the feel. To explain this is to start with 1, meaning whole beat gets a beat. For this you would be counting a strong beat every beat. Like 1/1 or 4/1, which will have 4 strong beats per measure. Now cut that whole beat in half, and you need up with the bottom number being a 2. This is why they call it "cut time". The 1 which is always a strong beat, but now 2 becomes a normal beat. Cut the whole beat into quarters and you end up with quarter time, or 4/4. 1 the strong beat, 2 a downbeat, 3 a normal beat, and 4 a downbeat. You should see where this is going, and you should be able to fill in the rest. That's time signature in a single paragraph. Now you should be able to understand why they have 3/4 and 3/8. It isn't just a free choice on which one you like better, or which note you want to equal to a beat. There is a much deeper logic to it. I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm trying to help you cause it does help to understand this. It's kind of scary cause you seem really knowledgable with music theory and just music in general, but yet you don't understand something this simple.

Polyrhythms are abundant from baroque to modern jazz AND classical.

Well there everywhere. Metal solos especially.

How many possibilies exist on just ONE beat? Physically or mentally. (perididdles and the pentultimate) come to mind.

Unlimited. That's the beauty of music today opposed to classical times, it's not as strict.

Most people shift from one beat to the next. As a listening person, most have no clue of the time signature.

This is absolutely true. Im teaching a friend of mine right now and she had no clue. I actually had to count it for her a few times before she could even grasp 4/4. Some people on the other hand are just natural at it, and they pick it up right then. But understanding time signatures is what seperates the men from the boys. You may be able to play the craziest licks, but it's the way you play that makes people really get into what your playing. It also makes you much tighter cause then you can mentally understand the music you are playing on amuch higher level than someone who doesn't get it.

People that write in odd ball time signatures, will not be played, and in my view, shouldn't. This might have been cool to do long ago, it's not cool now. It's far too erudite and lonely.

I'd disagree. But that could be just a personal taste, although there are many bands that pull it of quite well. Pink Floyd to name one.

And as for 7:4 or 9:8, you ain't listening. My example was a 4/4 bar. I've yet to see a program do what
I ask it, without modifying the algorithms.

Like it or not, that's the way it is. Programs are performance oriented. No one can literally write a performance and be readable. What exist is a facsimile.
Sorry.

Now I'm not even sure what it is your actually talking about. :confused: Unless you've found a new way to actually write music, I'm sure there are many programs that can reproduce it. Although this may be a cause of misunderstanding time signatures. You might be thinking of something in one T.S when indeed it is another. This is very common to someone who is lacking in this understanding. Because the terms used in writting music today can cover whatever your trying to do accurately and simply.

Just trying to help you out man. If you don't want my help thats cool and but it's there. :)

"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.