View post (time signatures)

View thread

noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
noticingthemistake
Crime Fighter
06/16/2003 10:10 pm
Originally posted by griphon2
My goodness, do I have a different take on this subject.
Everything is one. Time signature, more or less, is a reading and writing device.

If everything is one, how do you know which time signature to write in?? I think the understanding of how to count a certain time signature helps tremendously with getting a groove or feel for music.

On average, the most notes an average person can play on any one beat is 7.

You definitely have a different perception of time signature, because the amount of notes in one measure can be just about anything. It's true that most rhythms that are played on a guitar hardly go over such a number, but to a drummer this would be terribably wrong. Some drum parts will reach up to 64th notes, and have 12-16 hits per beat. It's always time signature is the feel of the music, tempo is the speed at which at feel moves at, and rhythm is the duration of a note within that time signature.

Most of music is one, two, three or four notes per one beat. 98 percent of the time, you can divide a beat into 1, 2, 3 or 4.

Dividing a beat is a job for rhythm not time signature. That's where you get the whole mathematics of rhythm, like in 4/4 a quarter note gets one beat, and you can divide that into 2 eighth notes, 4 sixteenth notes, and so on.

I'm not trying to change your ways, if it works for you, great stick with it. But you may learn something extremely valuable if you look into how the time signature and the feel of the music are related.

In computer writing, I've yet to find a program that I can write advanced rhythmic notation. Even a simple duple. Cake can do a reasonable and readable triplet. To write an advanced rhythmic figure within the computer, one must devise an algorithm (modifying time signature and tempo) to make the figure sound and look correct.

Powertab. Go to Powertab.net and downloaded it's a kick arse guitar notation editor. You can write polyrhythms with it. On the bottom tool bar, right by the triplet icon, you see "|9:8|". The rest is self-explanatory.
"My whole life is a dark room...ONE BIG DARK ROOM" - a.f.i.