Need Help Choosing New Guitar

TheDirt
TheDirt
05/19/2003 3:21 pm
Finally, after 14 years in the horrid public school system of the good ol U.S. of A., I'm graduating from high school this Friday. My graduation present is going to be a new guitar of my choosing within reason (i.e. - less than $3000 USD).

Now I've been looking around and the Vigier Excalibur looks beautiful, but the nearest place to get one is an 8 hour drive for me, which means I won't be able to go and test it before I buy it, so I'm stuck with what I get if I do choose that. Anyone have any experience with Vigiers?

Also, I've played a friend's deluxe American Fender Strat with a few custom mods, and it was AMAZING. The neck was perfect, the wood grain beautiful, the tone wonderful... if I ordered the exact same guitar, could I expect the same feel, or did he just get lucky?

Would a Gibson Les Paul be worth the cash?

Also, anyone have any suggestions for a guitar from $1500-$2500?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is a big deal to me!!
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 1
TheDirt
TheDirt
05/19/2003 3:37 pm
I figure you might need to know what kind of music I play, etc., so here goes.

I've been seriously playing for around 4 years now - this is a serious investment, not just something I want on a whim. I'll be taking this guitar to college to work on my major in music at the University of Minnesota.

I play many various styles. On Sundays, I play gospel/bluesgrass/country music for my church. On Wednesdays I play progressive Christian music (light rock style) for church. Weekends, I jam out with my friends, rock, alternative, and some metal (i.e. - Green Day, Chili Peppers, System of a Down, etc.). During the school year, I played in the school jazz ensemble.

I use an RP200 for distortion, chorus, etc.

Summary- I'm looking for a guitar with a very good clean sound, but that can handle being rocked out.
"You must stab him in the heart with the Bone Saber of Zumacalis... well, you could stab him in the head or the lungs, too... and the saber, it probably doesn't have to be bone, just anything sharp lying around the house... you could poke him with a pillow and kill him."

- Aqua Teen Hunger Force, The Universal Re-Monster
# 2
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2003 4:08 pm
Jazz, bluegrass, rock, country...
I've said it before and I'll say it again:
What you need is a Stratocaster!

# 3
joshdean52
joshdean52
05/19/2003 8:07 pm
I really love the clean tone of the Gibson Explorer. I know it's not made to be played clean, but it has a rich, full clean tone. And when you decide to crank up the distortion, it will definitely not leaving you wanting more. And I like the overall feel of the guitar: nice action and all. Good, smooth neck. It's worth the $1200 or whatever it is. And the wicked-looking body design allows for good playing balance. I really like it. (I played one at Guitar Center) If I had $1200 to blow, and I had the amp, pedal, etc. setup of my dreams, I'd definitely go buy one. That's my opinion.
"Thank God for the power chord!!!"
-Sting
# 4
janir123
janir123
05/20/2003 5:26 pm
HAMER USA!!!!!! The bad thing is that if you don't have a dealer near you the custom order takes around 6 months.

http://www.hamerguitars.com
Thanks

Jani
# 5
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/23/2003 6:59 am
Originally posted by TheDirt
Also, anyone have any suggestions for a guitar from $1500-$2500?

Dude - for 2500 Bucks i suggest you screw all the standard guitars and go for a custom made one that fits your needs - find a good luthier and i´m sure he can build a great guitar for you! And if he´s a realy good luthier ,the guitar will play like no other!

I personaly will NEVER EVER AGAIN buy a guitar in a musicstore. If i need a guitar, i will save the money and go to my luthier and i´ll get something, thats lightyears above the best guitars you can get in a store.

[Edited by Azrael on 05-23-2003 at 02:02 AM]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.