Wood type, does it matter?

andy82
andy82
05/15/2003 8:06 am
Calling on exprienced guitar players with knowledge of WOODS.

Well does it matter what type of wood the guitar is made out of? I guess it does but how? I hear stuff about Ibanez being built for speed but why do they say that?

Which type of wood is good for fretboard to play with? For body for sustain? And so forth...

Despite tastes in people I guess I'm looking for general answers. Not which guitars sound great, but what kinda material meant to achieve what kinda purpose.

Cheers :D
# 1
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
05/16/2003 3:10 am
They say that about Ibanez because of the way the neck on the guitar is made. They are very thin which makes it easier on the hands. And it also has to do with the radius of the fingerboard, as they are not exactly flat.

Wood is important in a guitar bacause it is going to shape the whole tone and sustain of the instrument. Now there is a rumor running around that the heavier the wood, the better the sustain. That is completely untrue. Some woods like alder, basswood, and swamp ash, are quite light and sustain quite well. Also a few other things that effect sustain are things like tremelo systems and how they are put in. Personally I like the tremelos that are flush to the body versus routed into the body. Also the way the neck joins the body can affect sustain. A neck-thru guitar will (in theory) sustain better than a bolt-on neck.
Also different woods sound different. Mohogany will sound warmer and darker sounding than maple. Maple is quite bright sounding. This is why you find a lot of guitar that are made of mohogany usually have a maple top. Not only are the beautiful but it brightens the whole tone of the guitar.

Also a guitar that has a bridge where the strings are strung through the guitar instead of the bridge will also sustain better.
So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 2
andy82
andy82
05/16/2003 6:14 am
Enlightenment, thanks for the info :D
# 3
andy82
andy82
05/17/2003 12:24 am
:eek: Woah! That's a cool site, seriously might make my own guitar one day :D Thanks Pony
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.