Strat string break problem.....

JohnLinger
JohnLinger
05/08/2003 1:45 pm
Hiya!!

About 3 months ago,i found my dream guiitar.Dont laugh but its a s.s.ss SQUIRE AFFINTY STRAT!!!.

I couldnt belive it!I have other more decent guitars like Rickenbaker 330,Fender Tele,Vintage Framus Jag,Les Paul Junior and Epiphone sheraton, but this just seemed perfect for me.

It has the best strat pickups i have ever played(seriously) and the neck and playability is perfect for me!!I have one major problem...
I play in a band full time,and would love to use this as my main guitar(against all the others..)but strings break on it like nothing!
I break a string at least every gig(usually high E etc,but the top strings go as well),during usually,and it is obviously unusable in this condition.

I use d'darios 9's,and have used lubrication etc. I dont use the tremolo(which is flat on the body)and its driving me mad.Is it to do with the bridge angle??

Please help!!John
Check out my bands website-
neilschildren.co.uk
# 1
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/08/2003 2:30 pm
Check the saddle and the bridge for sharp edges - if you find any, carefully remove them with sand paper. that should help. but be realy carefull not to remove to much material!! if you are not sure about it, consult a musicstore

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 2
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
05/09/2003 12:53 am
My friend had the same problem with his strat(mexican standard Fender) and he just went up to 10's(string gauge) and a string has never broken since. He has not changed his playing style either.
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2003 2:25 am
Have you tried Graphtech string saver saddles ?
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
05/12/2003 1:45 pm
Where does it break? Maybe there's a sharp edge to one of your tuning nut holes.
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.