GANGSTA RAP

Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/04/2003 11:14 am
I just want to know your thoughts about gangsta rap music style and rappers like Snoop Dogg, Tupac, Dr. Dre, Nate Dogg, Warren G., Busta Rhymes, 50 Cent...How big are they in USA now?

I just started listen to some of this stuff and it´s pretty nice. The beats are cheap as hell but hey, they work and it´s very easy to come up with stuff like that so an easy way to earn some money, send some stuff to Bad Boy our Death Row recrds and get rich...our die tryn´.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 1
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/04/2003 3:38 pm
A couple of songs ain't too bad , but if you listen to a whole album you'll find a hell of repeated beats (which are the backbone of rap instead of riffs in rock) ... It's no good place for innovation plus it's extra boring to listen to the same music with just different lyrics (which also tends to talk about the same repeated ideas).

To sum up things IMHO, almost no new music plus repeated ideas in lyrics , so it su*ks.

I have to listen to these (C)rap stuff (and techno too) in the gym cuz most people there like it , and frankly it gives you some energy to complete your exercise since every song usualy have a constant beat throughout.

Rap is cRap. ;)
# 2
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/04/2003 7:46 pm
I know that the albums can be damn boring by the same artist but if you mix em together and do a like best of CD, I can stay focused through entire collection. I just did a CD like that like a week ago and have songs like Hit Em Up, Regulators (great), Still Dree, Lay Low, Murder Was The Case, Check Yo Self, California Love, Gimme Some Mo, In Da Club...and I find it as pretty good music actally.

PS: Mike Portnoy (Dream Theater) adores rap besides The Simpsons.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 3
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/04/2003 8:51 pm
Even if you made a collection , you'll find lots of similar beats and stuff ... And the lyrics is mostly about "the mothafukin man who slept with ma mothafukin bitch and I'm gonna kill his mothafukin weak a$$ " .

I like "some" of Tupac's material though.

[Edited by SLY on 05-04-2003 at 03:53 PM]
# 4
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/04/2003 9:24 pm
I actually like Snoop and Dre more than Tupac.
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 5
hairbndrckr
hairbndrckr
05/05/2003 6:18 am
I will say this...
I hate gansta rap. It just doesn't do anything for me.
I think rapping about bitches, hoes, and how much oil your escalade leaks just sucks.
Now for the exceptions to the rule...
Eminem...
I like him just for the amusement value....
I mean who else can make killing your wife so entertaining...
Nas...
I was watching the all things rock countdown on MTV this evening and when it was over, the first video they shown was Nas. It was the song "I know I can"...
I just got to say it's about time someone got their head out of the 'hood and rapped about something positive...
I am going to go out and buy the album. The rest of the album could be utter crap for all I care, but I think he deserves to be supported for that song alone.
People these days just don't know how much influence they have on kids these days. Nas does however, and is trying to use it for the better.

So. If you throw a cat out of a car window, is it considered "kitty litter"?
# 6
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/05/2003 11:56 am
QUICK! get an exorcist!! Dejan is possessed by an evil demon!!

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 7
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/05/2003 6:48 pm
No no guys I´m actally cool. It´s not like I gonna throw my guitar away and start rapping. Not even damn close man ´cause if theres anything I want to do in this world is to play guitar and listen to music wich I like and I don´t mind if it´s rap our metal our classic our whatever. But I rather listen to good rap music than to Black/Death Metal crap. As well as for techno bull and boy/girl band $hit.

Rap is o.k. and there are also lots of good lyrics in these songs as well as cool beats. I like Dr. Dre stuff, he´s a great music talent and definitly the greatest rap producer ever. It was actually he who started more our less all that gangsta stuff movement.

Dejan S. No speed limit
# 8
Grub
Grub
05/06/2003 12:19 pm
as far as I'm concerned rap sucks, big time as does modern style r n b, UK garage etc. it's not even as if the programming's up to much and it's crap to dance to. now that it's confessional time I do have a soft spot for a some House and techno stuff like the Chemical Brothers, Underworld, Prodigy, Daft Punk etc. I wait for howls of derision.
# 9
joshdean52
joshdean52
05/06/2003 9:58 pm
I don't understand people that post on a guitar message board about RAP of all things!!! How can anyone that plays guitar withstand five minutes of rap music without getting a headache!?!?!?! It's all monotonous beats that sound all the same. What instruments do you use in rap, if any? Rock music, you think of guitars. Jazz, you think of trumpet. Rap, you think of... uh... some thug saying uh uh I slapped my hoe, I shot this n*gga when he stole my Bentley that wuz sittin' on 20's. That's not music. But that's just what I think. As you can tell, I feel strongly against rap. Just my opinion.
"Thank God for the power chord!!!"
-Sting
# 10
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/06/2003 10:54 pm
Have anybody of you guys heard Tupacs song called Thug Mansion. Imagine an instrumental song by a rap artist. Man that one have some amazing guitar stuff and is simply great. Don´t be afraid to check it out, it´s definitly worth it but get the acoustic (instrumental) verision. There´s one rap verision too.

If you like Patience, you´ll like this one too!!!
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 11
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/07/2003 6:47 am
Father forgive him! *LOL*

[FONT=Times New Roman]Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. What you decide to do every day makes you a good person... or not.[/FONT][br][br]

# 12
Grub
Grub
05/07/2003 8:09 am

i've just thought of a couple of exceptions to the rule that all rap is pants. 'white lines' and 'the message' by Grandmaster Flash had great lyrics and 'white lines' backing track had a great groove. 'fight for your right to party' by the Beasties kicked big time and some of Run DMC stuff wasnt half bad. mind you that was all when rap was new. since then it's just not moved on in any way. i particularly hate 'get ur freak on'. the travesty about rap is that it emerged from the death throes of funk, my favourite style of music which ironically required a high level of musicianship. just check out the brass playing of Tower of Power and the Horny Horns, the bass of Bootsy and Larry Graham, Bernie Worrall's keyboards, the guitars of Ernie Isley and Eddie Hazel.
# 13
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
Azrael
Gargoyle Instructor
05/07/2003 8:45 am
This board is now quarantined!! *LOL* John - call the exterminators!

# 14
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/07/2003 12:54 pm
Some rap songs,uhm,raps,are not that bad.and some have likable accompaniment.For instance,if you listen to Tupac's "Me and my girlfriend",and you mute the vocals,the track,in it's simplicity/repetition,is actually listenable.
And Grub,do you know why people will post on a board like this about rap?Coz there's no rap boards(Ok,I've never seen any-tho it's not like I look).
And I think there's a heckuva lot more to jazz than trumpets.It's like saying classical music is violins.But yeah,many people associate jazz with dreary trumpets.How about guitar,MAN!!!
# 15
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/07/2003 2:34 pm
Originally posted by joshdean52
What instruments do you use in rap, if any? Rock music, you think of guitars. Jazz, you think of trumpet. Rap, you think of... uh...

Drum Machines ! :D
# 16
Dejan Sajinovic
Dejan Sajinovic
05/07/2003 7:52 pm
Yeah but still if you look at producers like Dr. Dre and Pharell, they are definitly one of hottest producers around and probably pretty good musicans as well.

Have you guys heard Tupac´s Thug mansion yet? Check it out, it´s worth.

Also, hey man, this is open discussion thread and it´s not only for guitars and metal.

But if I describe some musical styles it would be somthing like this:

Hardrock-probably the greatest music style ever.
Heavy Metal-great
Classic-Pretty cool but get´s boring after a while
Techno/Rave-gets boring just after the first drum beat
Rap-famous songs are cool but there´s lots of $hit too
Pop-is cheap music, and there aren´t no quality songs. (I don´t rank Queen as a pop band)
Death/Black Metal-horrible, disaster, same level as techno
Power Metal-fun but tends to be boring pretty quickly

My opinion off course.

[Edited by Dejan Sajinovic on 05-07-2003 at 02:59 PM]
Dejan S. No speed limit
# 17
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/07/2003 7:59 pm
Oh God , Dejan has "Sold Out", just like Metallica !

LOL

Just kidding dudes. :D
# 18
SLY
Un-Registered User
SLY
Un-Registered User
05/07/2003 8:04 pm
Originally posted by Dejan Sajinovic
Hardrock-probably the greatest music style ever.
Heavy Metal-great
Classic-Pretty cool but get´s boring after a while
Techno/Rave-gets boring just after the first drum beat
Rap-famous songs are cool but there´s lots of $hit too
Pop-is cheap music, and there aren´t no quality songs. (I don´t rank Queen as a pop band)
Death/Black Metal-horrible, disaster, same level as techno
Power Metal-fun but tends to be boring pretty quickly

I agree about most of that , except that there are some cool riffs in DeathMetal , and Rap is the same rank as Techno.
# 19
spanky10940
spanky10940
05/07/2003 8:35 pm
Hey Dejan,

Slow and skinny for this (way too long thread) if you like it and you're getting inspired by some of the things you hear - go with it brother... go with it. Personally, I can't listen past the first few beats.. turns my stomach and makes me wanna bitch slap someone =) seriously tho, it's cool that you keep your tastes open to new things.. there are a few songs that when they come on the radio, for the 10 millionth time, that I kind of like. Bottom line, listen to everything, use what you want and disregard the rest.... Worst thing you can do is pigeon hole yourself to one style - grow as you listen. A good friend taught me that a while ago and it's gotten me out of ruts and at times, given me the same excitement that I had when I first wanted to play.

Happy jammin
"The one truly great thing about this life is that noone can sincerely and truly help someone, without helping themselves"

Ralph Waldo Emerson
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.