David Gilmour

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
04/26/2003 5:32 pm
I recently started listening to David Gilmour, and really loved his tone, so I decided to buy "David Gilmour: Live in Concert" on DVD. It is very good, and I'm getting close to getting somewhat 'his tone'. So far, it hasn't been too hard, since I have a Gibson Les Paul through a '65 Deluxe Reverb, with a POD XT for effects, and so far I nailed his 'classic distortion w/ sustain' tone, but i'm trying to find his 'relatively clean, maybe with some overdrive, tone, found on the first solo of comfortably numb'. It reminds me of Trey Anastasio's tone over and over, because of how thick it is.

See, its very distinct, but I'm positive that i can nail it in the next few weeks, i'm pretty good at effects tinkering.

there was somebody on here that was a big Gilmour fan, i think it was PonyOne; anyways, any suggestions?

# 1
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2003 5:54 pm
Hey IH
you may not agree but when I want to sound Dave Gilmoureish I used a POD Pro set to Marshal Plexi and a strat set to neck PU ony.

Have you been through the Line 6 tone lockers ?
They are at:

http://www.tonetransfer.com/tones/

Some are good and other are ... well not so good !

Happy hunting
S
My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
04/26/2003 6:55 pm
hm, no i haven't checked out the online tone things yet. Thanks for reminding me though, i'm going to do it now!

What I've found is that Dave seems to use the Neck PU in the beginning of solos, but as a solo peaks in energy, he sometimes switches to the bridge pu in order to totally take it to the next level.

I recommend the David Gilmour Live in Concert on DVD, its worth the $20 bucks i paid for it. I'd pay $30 for it, if that was the price. It showcases acoustic rhythm guitar playing, accompanied by the every once in a while Dave putting the electric guitar on and ripping solos. It works beatifully.

The style of music Gilmour plays seems to put me in this 'trip', if you know what i mean. It's that mellow, check him out!
# 3
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Dr_simon
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2003 7:37 pm
Have you heard the earlier Pink Floyd stuff with Syd Barret the inspiration for "Wish you were here" and the star of "Shine on you crazy Diamond" ?

I think Syd was finally committed to the loony bin after barking at and biting his neighbors. This quite unusual behavior was attributed to taking too much acid for quite a long time! He released some post- Floyd solo stuff which is very strange. I just about remember a song about an effervescing elephant!

I think Pink Floyds first two albums "A sourer full of secrets " and "Piper at the gates of Dawn" are pritty trippy and well worth a listen to if you are into the psychedelic thing ! I don’t think they are as well crafted as say Dark side of the Moon (Ahh the solo in Time is still one of my all time (no pun intended) favorite solos !).

These two albums still be available as a double album called "A Nice Pair" which has pictorial depictions of lots of well know expressions on the cover and may keep you giggling for hours !

You might also want to try some Hawkwind, they can really fry your noodle ! They aren’t very well known in the US however have a very big Hippy following in the UK (Hall of the Mountain Grill).

My instructors page and www.studiotrax.net for all things recording.
my toons Brought to you by Dr BadGAS
# 4
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
04/26/2003 9:14 pm
I love "Shine on you crazy diamond", especially when Dave's backup singers accompany him. Sounds beautiful. I might name my band "Crazy Diamonds", i'm looking into it, to see if thats already a band name or not (we're still finding the right name).

I checked the Marshall Plexi 45, leads, lead 100, etc, and i didn't really get a Gilmour tone out of it. Maybe i have my settings on different than yours though, who knows.
# 5
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
iamthe_eggman
Grizzled Spellchecker
04/28/2003 4:33 pm
Hey, that's pretty neat - I just ordered the David Gilmour DVD two weeks ago and it arrived last week!

To tell you the truth, though, I was pretty disappointed. It seems that Gilmour has pretty much given up on long solos; the two versions of Comfortably Numb were not nearly as satisfying as the Pulse video version! I didn't really like the "Shine On" acoustic version; maybe I'm just too used to the sustained organ intro of the album version.

The Bizet interpretation was pretty good ("Je Crois Entendre Encore"). I'm going to go look for the tab after this...

I am a huge Gilmour and Pink Floyd fan, but I truly think that Pink Floyd just wasn't the same after Waters left. But that is the subject of an entirely different discussion.

Anyways, I am a pretty big fan of Gilmour's tone, also. There are some good sites out there that take his tone apart piece by piece. He has a huge effects rack, but only uses a few at a time.

Check out these links:

David Gilmour interview
Complete breakdown of Gilmour's rig
... and that's all I have to say about that.

[U]ALL[/U] generalizations are [U]WRONG[/U]

[/sarcasm]
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/30/2003 2:52 am
Originally posted by Dr_simon
...You might also want to try some Hawkwind, they can really fry your noodle ! They aren’t very well known in the US however have a very big Hippy following in the UK (Hall of the Mountain Grill).
Now there's a band to reckon with! My copy of Doremi Faso Latido was ripped off many years ago, and I'm still pissed about it. I found a CD re-issue of some of their stuff, but it didn't have the studio version of "Space Is Deep" - just a really lame live version. Aaargh!

Re: David Gilmour - check out a Paul Rodgers CD called "Muddy Water Blues". Paul is a singer who pulls together some amazing players to back him up. There's tracks with Buddy Guy, Brian Setzer, Jeff Beck, Gary Moore, Ritchie Sambora, Neal Schon... and David Gilmour does a version of "Standing Around Crying" that makes me wonder if the man wasted his talent playing rock!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Fxguru
Fxguru
11/30/2005 4:54 am
Try here: www.tonefromheaven.com Great info on David Gilmours gear...

Incidentally Comfortably Numb is a Big Muff
# 8
Tele Master
Full Access
Tele Master
Full Access
11/30/2005 5:22 pm
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jroscoe/DgPG1.html
Electric Guitars are the inspiration for cries of "Turn that damn thing down"-Gibson website
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.