Licensing question

stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
04/24/2023 12:29 am

Does the inability to renew a license mean that the particular Artist or label would not renew anything for a given artist under said label? That was huge to loose all the Skynyrd songs, So i was wondering can they be replaced by others by Skynyrd?

edited
# 1
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Mike Olekshy
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/24/2023 12:43 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: stevelankford313

Does the inability to renew a license mean that the particular Artist or label would not renew anything for a given artist under said label? That was huge to loose all the Skynyrd songs, So i was wondering can they be replaced by others by Skynyrd?

Hi Steve - whoever owns the publishing of the song controls the licensing, although sometimes the artist can have a say depending on the specifics of the agreement. So in this case, it would be reasonable to assume that whatever entity owns the publishing of the writing members of Skynyrd would be in control of the licensing. So if that entity did not renew the licenses for the Skynyrd songs that were removed, it is unlikely they would be replaced by others.

Having said that, notice that "Call Me The Breeze" is still on the site. That song was written by JJ Cale, so the licensing is controlled by a different entity than the Skynyrd publisher.

Hope this makes sense - and please understand, this is my own read of the situation - I do not have any details regarding the deals between GT and outside publishers!

Mike

edited

Keep rockin!
Mike Olekshy
GT Guitar Coach

# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/26/2023 4:49 pm

Thanks for chiming in Mike.

I certainly don’t know GT’s arrangements with different publishers, but I do know from experience that publishing rights can be e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y convoluted.  Years ago it was a matter between you and the record label pressing the vinal.

I remember when Michael Jackson bought control of the publishing rights to the Beatles catalog.  The surviving Beatles lost control of the use of all of their songs (including John :(  GRHS).  MJ then sold to Sony who know holds control.

Young, up and coming artists find out pretty quickly that if they want to jump into the big leagues they’ll be giving up most of their control.  Back in the day, my mates and I never made it big but we were so hungry we’d have gladly given a gonad to be in the big game.

Taylor Swift is one of the few who was able to tell them to kiss her rump and wrestle some control back by re-recording some of her stuff.

I miss the stuff you guys lost, but there are so many other excellent songs still here!

Perhaps a lesson series on how to learn a song from a recording would help.  That’s what my buddies and I did for decades anyway.

BTW - I very much enjoy your content here on GT.  You’re pretty damn awesome.

Rumble

# 3
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/26/2023 5:45 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Thanks for chiming in Mike.

I certainly don’t know GT’s arrangements with different publishers, but I do know from experience that publishing rights can be e-x-t-r-e-m-e-l-y convoluted.  Years ago it was a matter between you and the record label pressing the vinal.

I remember when Michael Jackson bought control of the publishing rights to the Beatles catalog.  The surviving Beatles lost control of the use of all of their songs (including John :(  GRHS).  MJ then sold to Sony who know holds control.

Young, up and coming artists find out pretty quickly that if they want to jump into the big leagues they’ll be giving up most of their control.  Back in the day, my mates and I never made it big but we were so hungry we’d have gladly given a gonad to be in the big game.

Taylor Swift is one of the few who was able to tell them to kiss her rump and wrestle some control back by re-recording some of her stuff.

I miss the stuff you guys lost, but there are so many other excellent songs still here!

Perhaps a lesson series on how to learn a song from a recording would help.  That’s what my buddies and I did for decades anyway.

BTW - I very much enjoy your content here on GT.  You’re pretty damn awesome.

Rumble

Convoluted, to be sure.

Sir Paul got back the rights to "most" Beatles songs back in 2017.  It came in an undisclosed settlement with Sony who acquired the rights from the Michael Jackson estate, he having bought the rights from ATV publishing when that company shut down (McCartney himself had tipped off Jackson to the catalog's value).  Not all of the Beatles songs were included... some were gifted to the ATV owner's daughter before all the 'convolution.'  😏   So I have read.

I have also read that some groups/artists refuse to license their music or at least now refuse.  I don't know how that fits with publishing rights.  And then... in recent years there has been a flurry of artists selling their catalogs.

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/26/2023 6:36 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Convoluted, to be sure.

Sir Paul got back the rights to "most" Beatles songs back in 2017.  It came in an undisclosed settlement with Sony who acquired the rights from the Michael Jackson estate, he having bought the rights from ATV publishing when that company shut down (McCartney himself had tipped off Jackson to the catalog's value).  Not all of the Beatles songs were included... some were gifted to the ATV owner's daughter before all the 'convolution.'  😏   So I have read.

I have also read that some groups/artists refuse to license their music or at least now refuse.  I don't know how that fits with publishing rights.  And then... in recent years there has been a flurry of artists selling their catalogs.

Thanks for the update john.  I do feel better knowing that.

When Sony ended up the rights to the Beatles songs, I had what my mother would term a “conniption fit” and almost uncontrollably raged for a few days.  Neil Young was a holdout for years but I think he only owns 50% at this time.

Springsteen famously sold his rights.

I console myself by saying “it’s their stuff, so it’s their business what they do with it”.  And indeed it is.

All the best,

Rumble

# 5
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/26/2023 10:07 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: Rumble Walrus

Thanks for the update john.  I do feel better knowing that.

When Sony ended up the rights to the Beatles songs, I had what my mother would term a “conniption fit” and almost uncontrollably raged for a few days.  Neil Young was a holdout for years but I think he only owns 50% at this time.

Springsteen famously sold his rights.

I console myself by saying “it’s their stuff, so it’s their business what they do with it”.  And indeed it is.

All the best,

Rumble

Even Bob Dylan sold his catalog a little over two years ago. 

Sigh.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 6
stevelankford313
Full Access
stevelankford313
Full Access
04/28/2023 12:49 am
#6 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Even Bob Dylan sold his catalog a little over two years ago. 

Sigh.

Thanks for the feedback folks, it does help in getting a little better grasp of things. I think i am a little spoiled anyway by having such an easy way of learning, I can really never learn eveything on GuitarTricks!

# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.