View post (Just how many guitars does one need...)

View thread

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/22/2023 12:29 pm

It's Saturday morning. I've had my coffee, guitar practice is in for the day and my favourite pawn shop opens in half an hour. This guys keeps hundreds of guitars, amps etc in constant rotation. Purchased from the disenfranchised and disillusioned, there are always pretty little things coming in. And, if I buy right, I usually make out ok on the turn around. And recently I have had my eye on a gorgeous MIM Fender Telecaster. But... I am hoping I can negotiate a better price. Which will happen if he doesn't turn it in the next 90 days. If he still has it in 90 days his focus will be getting his money back out, which will open the door to more favourable discussions over price. So its a bit of a game, but its a fun game to play.

Anyway, I have a local guitar teacher who I see every 2 weeks, and he is always excited to see and try any new purchases. Mark, my teacher, has the walls lined with guitars, the floor littered with amps and pedals. Cases stacked in the corner. All collected over 50+ years of playing. So he obviously has the "bug".

In my last lesson, we are working on SRV, he said, "you know, it would probably be best if you stuck to one guitar at least until you have this stuff down."

Hmmm, kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. But to be fair, Mark is usually using his butterscotch Tele. He has had it so long and has played it so much he says it feels like a part of him. I get his point. I probably would benefit by staying with 1 guitar at least until I become somewhat competent on what we are working on. 

But it so hard to look at the candy on the walls and not want to pick one up...

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!