Just how many guitars does one need...

William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/22/2023 12:29 pm

It's Saturday morning. I've had my coffee, guitar practice is in for the day and my favourite pawn shop opens in half an hour. This guys keeps hundreds of guitars, amps etc in constant rotation. Purchased from the disenfranchised and disillusioned, there are always pretty little things coming in. And, if I buy right, I usually make out ok on the turn around. And recently I have had my eye on a gorgeous MIM Fender Telecaster. But... I am hoping I can negotiate a better price. Which will happen if he doesn't turn it in the next 90 days. If he still has it in 90 days his focus will be getting his money back out, which will open the door to more favourable discussions over price. So its a bit of a game, but its a fun game to play.

Anyway, I have a local guitar teacher who I see every 2 weeks, and he is always excited to see and try any new purchases. Mark, my teacher, has the walls lined with guitars, the floor littered with amps and pedals. Cases stacked in the corner. All collected over 50+ years of playing. So he obviously has the "bug".

In my last lesson, we are working on SRV, he said, "you know, it would probably be best if you stuck to one guitar at least until you have this stuff down."

Hmmm, kind of like the pot calling the kettle black. But to be fair, Mark is usually using his butterscotch Tele. He has had it so long and has played it so much he says it feels like a part of him. I get his point. I probably would benefit by staying with 1 guitar at least until I become somewhat competent on what we are working on. 

But it so hard to look at the candy on the walls and not want to pick one up...

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 1
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/22/2023 2:56 pm

One more.  That's how many.  :)

More seriously, it really does help to have a machine that feels completely like an extension of yourself.  The trick I use when visiting guitar stores is to only consider buying guitars that meet that criteria.  There is a sort of feedback loop involved in the process.  Because you might not know what qualities those are until you've played for a while, and played a lot of guitars.  But once you figure it out, then it really does help your gear purchasing mindset.

Of course, once you do this stuff for a living, then it becomes more necessary to have certain tools for certain jobs even if it's not your favorite extension of yourself.

Keep practicing on the one that works the best for you right now.  But don't let that stop you from trying out all the guitars!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 2
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/22/2023 3:42 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

More seriously, it really does help to have a machine that feels completely like an extension of yourself.  The trick I use when visiting guitar stores is to only consider buying guitars that meet that criteria.  There is a sort of feedback loop involved in the process.  Because you might not know what qualities those are until you've played for a while, and played a lot of guitars.  But once you figure it out, then it really does help your gear purchasing mindset.

Of course, once you do this stuff for a living, then it becomes more necessary to have certain tools for certain jobs even if it's not your favorite extension of yourself.

Keep practicing on the one that works the best for you right now.  But don't let that stop you from trying out all the guitars!

šŸ˜… Amen to that!

# 3
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/22/2023 6:45 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

I like your way of thinking lol!

But you make a good point, the more time I spend with a guitar, the more I learn about it and what I can do on it. Especially finding the "tone" by making slight adjustments to the volume and tone pots. Something we've been working on, as well as using the finger tips to vary from a sharp shrill note to something rounder and fuller.

Lots to learn and practically speaking, 1 guitar would probably do me a lifetime. But so much temptation. My excuse has become "my wife won't let me have girlfriends, so I buy guitars"

# 4
ktony790
ktony790
04/22/2023 6:47 pm

I'm getting the itch for a 12 string acoustic now, I've got my eye on the Sigma DM-12 with a solid sitka spruce top for only £300.

# 5
innocci
innocci
04/22/2023 8:15 pm

People ask me how come I have seven guitars, because I can't afford twenty.

# 6
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/22/2023 9:04 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: innocci

šŸ˜†

# 7
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/23/2023 2:42 pm

It is tempting William, but think of it this way. Do you really want to spend all your time changing all those strings. lol.

I'm down to just one now. My acoustic. Had a lower budget Tele for a bit and while a good tool to learn Barre chords with I hated the weight. Sold it then thought a semi hollow would work better so bought a Gretsch Streamliner 2622, their entry level model, but intonation was terrible on both guitars. Even after a setup it had some quirky sounds up the fretboard and it just wasn't resonating with me. Maybe its the music I mostly play. Country and folk which both the Tele and Gretsch should have complented well with, but I obviously didn't have the skills yet to put them to good use. 

Kinda confirms what Chris and your guitar teacher were saying. 

Having said that, I did try a Tele Thinline recently which has the F-holes in it and boy are they nice and light so I might give it another shot someday to learn to play like Brad Paisley ( yeah right ) , but for now I will focus on just my acoustic to get more tools in the toolbox before making another plunge. It is fun though looking at the wall of temptation whenever I walk into a guitar store.  Good Luck if you decide to get that Tele.

Moe

# 8
mjgodin
mjgodin
04/23/2023 2:46 pm
#6 Originally Posted by: innocci

This guy could help you understand why you need more than seven.

Poor Doyle is "Guitar Poor".

Moe

# 9
innocci
innocci
04/23/2023 2:56 pm
#9 Originally Posted by: mjgodin

This guy could help you understand why you need more than seven.

Poor Doyle is "Guitar Poor".

Moe

Nice

# 10
W3
Full Access
W3
Full Access
04/23/2023 4:00 pm

Great response, Christopher! I've got to have guitars that definitely fit that slot that feels right and sounds great. For me, the feel of the neck is a deal breaker. I've got 14 guitars but bought many as a single man. Marriage and a dose of common sense fixed that.  :)

# 11
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/22/2023 7:01 pm

A guitar, some cash, I think I have THE guitar for me. American Pro II. 

# 12
mjgodin
mjgodin
05/22/2023 8:59 pm

Wow gorgeous. Have fun with it. 

# 13
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/22/2023 9:50 pm

Thanks Moe. Not the one I originally had my eye on and the deal was a quick one, but when I saw it and played it that was it. I left with it. 

# 14
innocci
innocci
05/22/2023 11:40 pm
#12 Originally Posted by: William MG

A guitar, some cash, I think I have THE guitar for me. American Pro II. 

Nice!

# 15
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/23/2023 8:18 pm
#15 Originally Posted by: innocci

Nice!

Thanks!

# 16
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
05/23/2023 8:36 pm

William

When I did my last trade in , my salesmen explained the correct number of guitars is n+1.  n being the number currently owned. 
I was trading in an electric G&L for a classical nylon string so I think I have scratched my itch until I see a vast improvement in my playing and knowledge of guitar sounds.

So, traded in my beginner acoustic for a better quality Faith parlour which I thought would be easier to hold and play, and it is. A full size Sigma  acoustic and now a Sigma classical which I reach for the most often . For the electric I have settled on an Epiphone Les Paul . I need way more experience before I can buy another guitar knowing it to be a step up in quality and would improve my range of music.

So n+1, if it draws you to it  why resist .

Dave L

# 17
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
05/23/2023 10:11 pm
#17 Originally Posted by: ddiddler

William

When I did my last trade in , my salesmen explained the correct number of guitars is n+1.  n being the number currently owned. 
I was trading in an electric G&L for a classical nylon string so I think I have scratched my itch until I see a vast improvement in my playing and knowledge of guitar sounds.

So, traded in my beginner acoustic for a better quality Faith parlour which I thought would be easier to hold and play, and it is. A full size Sigma  acoustic and now a Sigma classical which I reach for the most often . For the electric I have settled on an Epiphone Les Paul . I need way more experience before I can buy another guitar knowing it to be a step up in quality and would improve my range of music.

So n+1, if it draws you to it  why resist .

Dave L

They are hard to resist Dave, and like you, I think I have that itch scratched for a long time to come. Part of this comes from a music teacher I am working with right now who suggested I should stay with one guitar while we are working on things. I think he is right in this, and this guitar just feels right in my hands. 

thanks for the reply!

# 18
ddiddler
Full Access
ddiddler
Full Access
05/24/2023 9:02 am
#18 Originally Posted by: William MG

They are hard to resist Dave, and like you, I think I have that itch scratched for a long time to come. Part of this comes from a music teacher I am working with right now who suggested I should stay with one guitar while we are working on things. I think he is right in this, and this guitar just feels right in my hands. 

thanks for the reply!

My instructor is happy with my 2 acoustics. It is he who has guided me towards some classical pieces and therefore the ‘’ must have ‘’ of the nylon string classical. It depends what we are playing.

I thought I would be more towards the electric but that is used for later in the day for quiet practice with a small modelling amp and headphones. 
I am resisting the 12 string the mandolin and the banjo. So many temptations. 
Dave

# 19
michael@rockon
Full Access
michael@rockon
Full Access
10/04/2023 2:13 pm

I’ll take the opposite position and say nothing beats the opportunity to explore different tones afforded by different pick ups and different types of guitar bodies. Yes, different neck shapes, nut widths and fret types can affect playability but I don’t think using different guitars to practice and play songs that sound best on that type of guitar has slowed me down. One man’s opinion which ain’t worth all that much…

Long Live Rock!

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.