Bucket List Blues

grumpybear27870
grumpybear27870
04/14/2023 10:52 pm

Hey, y'all

I have a background in music from many years in the band from school decades ago; I've won awards in district, state, and even National levels.  I've played multiple instruments and even sang before my voice changed.  But that was woodwind, brass, and percussion.  I've always wanted to play guitar, but there was always something interrupting my plans.  Turns out, what was interrupting my plans was fear, and I was making excuses because I was trying to learn by myself back before the days of internet and youtube.  So I'm 50 now, older, wiser, and considerably more stubborn and determined.  My playing won't ever change the world, and I doubt I'd ever gig.  But I do like to write, so perhaps I can leave a small part of my love behind after I'm gone for my nephews and my great nephew on the way.  Perhaps I'll live long enough to share what I learn with others as well.

I look forward to chatting with others on our shared journey.

Niecho

-----------------------------------------------------------

"To hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.”

– Eddie Van Halen

# 1
TGSMi
Full Access
TGSMi
Full Access
04/16/2023 4:42 pm

Welcome Niecho, and enjoy the course ! It's great and you will learn everything you need here.

The only real failure is the failure to try.

# 2
martiniconqueso
Full Access
martiniconqueso
Full Access
04/18/2023 11:21 am

Welcome Niecho. I saw the thread subject and thought maybe it was going to be a bucket list of blues songs/riffs/licks to learn . . .

=Keith

# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/18/2023 7:52 pm

Hi Niecho,

It is so awesome and honest that you managed to identify the culprit: fear!

Fear is a bear - it can creep up when you are thinking about playing (as it did in your avoidance of guitar), and when you are actually playing. 

Sometimes it can take the form of physical tension in your hands if you 'fear' what you know to be an upcoming chord or section that tends to give you trouble.

We anticipate messing it up, we fear messing it up, and the fear creates a mental and physical state that actually makes messing it up more likely! Snaeky little demon.

So good for you for calling 'fear' out - that's powerful stuff!

-Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 4
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/21/2023 8:24 pm

Swing grumpybear, swing!

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.