April 1st success!

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/01/2023 5:37 pm

Instead of mimicking the mantra posted by a half-dozen of our former members, "I'm taking my ball and going home", I decided to go a different way.  I set out to learn all of the alledged 300 songs being dropped from our library as of today.  Success!

It was quite an effort, particularly so because I followed my own rule of thumb, i.e., don't move on from a new piece until the one being learned can be played three times in a row without error.  T'was a big job, it was.

Needless to say my voice is a shambles (some who know me would say, 'how can you tell?') and my fingers are a mess.  There's blood everywhere and my once pristine Martin and Gibson are looking kinda ragged.  My 12-string Ovation stayed in its case, above the fray... and spared the frayed strings and frayed fingers.

Still, I am proud of my accomplishment and the large boost of my own repertoire.  After the week's intense work I set out to count the number of newly learned songs to confirm the three hundred number but I fell asleep with my head on my keyboard.  When I woke up the blood on the keys had coagulated and my face was stuck to home row.  I had to call for help which wasn't easy given my faded voice.

So... I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment and amazed by what I got for GT's regular price of 50¢ per day (hardly more than a quarter if one is lucky enough to score GT's occasional discount).  But, in my present condition I might have to wait until next April 1st before I do anything like this again.

john

edited
"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 1
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/01/2023 7:52 pm

Extraordinary work and something to be proud of. You met the challenge and made lemons out of lemonade. 

I went yet another less stressful route. Picked out what was important to me and made personal use copies.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 2
john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/01/2023 10:42 pm
#2 Originally Posted by: William MG

Extraordinary work and something to be proud of. You met the challenge and made lemons out of lemonade. 

I went yet another less stressful route. Picked out what was important to me and made personal use copies.

I'm thinking of turning the 300 into a medly.  A good project for the first of April.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins
# 3
Rumble Walrus
Rumble Walrus
04/02/2023 4:42 pm

Holy cow John! 

My next pint is tipped in your name.

Rumble

# 4
alffvdh
Full Access
alffvdh
Full Access
04/02/2023 9:57 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: john of MT

Instead of mimicking the mantra posted by a half-dozen of our former members, "I'm taking my ball and going home", I decided to go a different way.  I set out to learn all of the alledged 300 songs being dropped from our library as of today.  Success!

It was quite an effort, particularly so because I followed my own rule of thumb, i.e., don't move on from a new piece until the one being learned can be played three times in a row without error.  T'was a big job, it was.

Needless to say my voice is a shambles (some who know me would say, 'how can you tell?') and my fingers are a mess.  There's blood everywhere and my once pristine Martin and Gibson are looking kinda ragged.  My 12-string Ovation stayed in its case, above the fray... and spared the frayed strings and frayed fingers.

Still, I am proud of my accomplishment and the large boost of my own repertoire.  After the week's intense work I set out to count the number of newly learned songs to confirm the three hundred number but I fell asleep with my head on my keyboard.  When I woke up the blood on the keys had coagulated and my face was stuck to home row.  I had to call for help which wasn't easy given my faded voice.

So... I'm pretty proud of my accomplishment and amazed by what I got for GT's regular price of 50¢ per day (hardly more than a quarter if one is lucky enough to score GT's occasional discount).  But, in my present condition I might have to wait until next April 1st before I do anything like this again.

john

😃 Nice one...... did anyone else get it?

# 5
William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
04/02/2023 11:56 pm
#5 Originally Posted by: alffvdh

😃 Nice one...... did anyone else get it?

No, John wouldn't play an April Fools joke. He really did learn all 300. He's moved on from myth to legend and will be spoken of for days if not weeks.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.