Strings anyone?

Inisfail
Inisfail
03/03/2003 8:23 pm
Hi everyone!

I'm not sure if this was the most correct forum to discuss such as strings, but whatever...

I use 0.11 mm (0.28" I suppose) on my lightest e, and then thicker in some ordering, you know what I mean. However, I play a lot of metal and I do think that a palm-muted string which is played rapidly is kinda cool. The thing is that I have some problems playing on my thicker strings.
Is it a well known problem that thicker strings is harder to deal with when your trying to play fast on one string?

So why am I using thick strings? Well, it is sounding so much.. er.. more than thinner strings.

Is there anyone else using such thick strings who don't feel the same way? I have trying playing on other guitars, and allthough they're easier to play one, they are also different in the way they look.

I use a strata-copy (not sure if that's what you call it outside Sweden), the cheapest you can get... And I use Fender-bullet-wound-something strings.

Well, this thread became just became much bigger than I it was meant to bee.

Thanks for reading it!
/Anders Lorén
Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
# 1
stratman42
stratman42
03/04/2003 9:21 pm
Lol....sorry for this, but for a start i'd stop usin Fender strings. I doubt if its anything to do with your problem, i used to use them and just don't like them.

This bit's probably more relevant. I now own a seven-string, and while it is marginally harder because of the thickness of the string, it all depends on the person. The only real reason i think mine is a bit slower to play is because the action has to be a little higher than i'd like to prevent fretbuzz on my low B.

My advice is if you like the weight of those strings better, stick with it and your speed will improve anyway.
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 2
Kirk_Aimar
Kirk_Aimar
03/05/2003 4:56 pm
If you get the sound you want by using th estring, and just that you cant play well in it..its okay..stick with it. You will get better by more practicing.
*Speed is nothing without control*
# 3
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/05/2003 6:53 pm
If I was to play metal, I would:
replace the strat with a more metal-ish axe.
(This is really a doublestandard, since I use
a strat to play metal, and that works fine for me)
replace the fender strings for.. .. I dont know, I use
D'addario and that works fine.
I would also recommend thinner strings, but apparently you dont want thinner strings so the I suggest you practise and practise and practise, and after a while you'll not even know why you even thought about replacing your thick strings.

# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.