View post (Practice)

View thread

rckgar
Full Access
rckgar
Full Access
07/18/2023 5:46 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: RonJ66

Ok I found a finger excersise that has greatly helped me at the age of 66.  My fingers don't move that fast.  But this excersise helped sooooo much.

excersise;

1 = place all your fretting fingers anywhere on the D string.  The fret doesn't matter.  Just lineup your 4 fingers comfortably.

2=  Start your metronome to a very slow beat.

3= Move just your 1st finger to the low E then back to the D and then to the High E string.  Then park it back on the D string.

4= No other finger should move at all.  If you can't reach the E strings, go for a string you can make accurately.  

5= Do this 20 times.

6= Now do the same with the middle finger.  Yes it's hard.  But that's why you're slow in chord changes.  Your fingers need to move individually.

7= Do this with your ring finger then your pinky.

8= Slow is good and accuracy is a must.  Again, if you can't reach a string accurately, try an easier string.  

9= Pain is BAD!!!  stop! if the straining is painful.  Stretch and try the next day.  This is a serious warning.  Straining/pain is bad.

10= In a week or so, you will find this excersise easy.  You should see chord changes being a little easier.

=====  Part 2 ====

A= once you can do this at the speed of the beat of songs you like, onto part 2

B= Metranome on, very slow.

C= Move your pointing finger to the low E string at the same exact same time you move your ring finger to the high E string.  They move together, not          one after the other.  Place them down on the strings at the same time.

D= As stupid hard as this is, I promise you can do it in time.  

E= Practice with these fingers first.  Once your happy with the progress try 2 other fingers such as the middle finger and pinky.

F= This will take a week.  Perhaps more.  I still can't do all my fingers.

G= Reminder, at the start, this is stupid hard.  You can do it though.  Do NOT push yourself.  You can seriously hurt yourself and cause you to 

stop practicing all together.

=>  If you want to add to this, YES! Please do.

((((   I AM NOT THE CREATOR OF THIS EXCERSISE.  But I love it.  ))))

Wish you all well.  

Cheers to the other old folks like me.  And thankyou Guitartricks for this site and forum.

RonJ66, I had seen the first exercise but not the second. I’m 71, so I know what you mean about fingers not moving well. I’ll keep working on the first one and add the second one. 
thanks

Rick

Remember Duane Allman