Practice

marketkin
marketkin
02/03/2023 6:46 pm

My instructor is Anders. I really like him and I'm enjoying the lessons.  There aren't any specific practice instructions so I just move on to the next tutorial after I've finished one. Does anyone know if this is the right way to go about it ??

# 1
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2023 5:08 pm

Hi Mark,

In general, yes, that is a good approach AS LONG AS you feel like you've gotten a good handle of what was taught in the lesson. 

Does the new skill or technique make sense to you? If it is a new skill, are you able do it pretty well? How well? Are you able to connect it with things you learned in prior lessons? Or is it something that might require you to set aside some specific practice/repetition time?

Learning new PHYSICAL skills takes repetition - lots of it - to make them become as smooth and natural as possible. With repetition, you are building the new skill into your PHYSICAL MEMORY, so it becomes something your hands will do "on demand", with results that please you (good tone, good rhythm, etc.)

So in answer to your post, just ask yourself the above questions after you complete one of Anders's lessons, and be your own benevolent coach. Are you ready to move on? Or does this thing need a few more practice runs? 

Hope this helps a little - Lisa

Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 2
me.l.indaetinw81
me.l.indaetinw81
02/09/2023 10:23 am

The noun is always spelled “practice.” The spelling of the verb varies based on whether you're writing in UK or US English: In UK English, “practice” (with a “c”) is the noun and “practise” (with an “s”) is the verb.

# 3
RonJ66
RonJ66
04/04/2023 1:39 am

Ok I found a finger excersise that has greatly helped me at the age of 66.  My fingers don't move that fast.  But this excersise helped sooooo much.

excersise;

1 = place all your fretting fingers anywhere on the D string.  The fret doesn't matter.  Just lineup your 4 fingers comfortably.

2=  Start your metronome to a very slow beat.

3= Move just your 1st finger to the low E then back to the D and then to the High E string.  Then park it back on the D string.

4= No other finger should move at all.  If you can't reach the E strings, go for a string you can make accurately.  

5= Do this 20 times.

6= Now do the same with the middle finger.  Yes it's hard.  But that's why you're slow in chord changes.  Your fingers need to move individually.

7= Do this with your ring finger then your pinky.

8= Slow is good and accuracy is a must.  Again, if you can't reach a string accurately, try an easier string.  

9= Pain is BAD!!!  stop! if the straining is painful.  Stretch and try the next day.  This is a serious warning.  Straining/pain is bad.

10= In a week or so, you will find this excersise easy.  You should see chord changes being a little easier.

=====  Part 2 ====

A= once you can do this at the speed of the beat of songs you like, onto part 2

B= Metranome on, very slow.

C= Move your pointing finger to the low E string at the same exact same time you move your ring finger to the high E string.  They move together, not          one after the other.  Place them down on the strings at the same time.

D= As stupid hard as this is, I promise you can do it in time.  

E= Practice with these fingers first.  Once your happy with the progress try 2 other fingers such as the middle finger and pinky.

F= This will take a week.  Perhaps more.  I still can't do all my fingers.

G= Reminder, at the start, this is stupid hard.  You can do it though.  Do NOT push yourself.  You can seriously hurt yourself and cause you to 

stop practicing all together.

=>  If you want to add to this, YES! Please do.

((((   I AM NOT THE CREATOR OF THIS EXCERSISE.  But I love it.  ))))

Wish you all well.  

Cheers to the other old folks like me.  And thankyou Guitartricks for this site and forum.

# 4
rckgar
Full Access
rckgar
Full Access
07/18/2023 5:46 pm
#4 Originally Posted by: RonJ66

Ok I found a finger excersise that has greatly helped me at the age of 66.  My fingers don't move that fast.  But this excersise helped sooooo much.

excersise;

1 = place all your fretting fingers anywhere on the D string.  The fret doesn't matter.  Just lineup your 4 fingers comfortably.

2=  Start your metronome to a very slow beat.

3= Move just your 1st finger to the low E then back to the D and then to the High E string.  Then park it back on the D string.

4= No other finger should move at all.  If you can't reach the E strings, go for a string you can make accurately.  

5= Do this 20 times.

6= Now do the same with the middle finger.  Yes it's hard.  But that's why you're slow in chord changes.  Your fingers need to move individually.

7= Do this with your ring finger then your pinky.

8= Slow is good and accuracy is a must.  Again, if you can't reach a string accurately, try an easier string.  

9= Pain is BAD!!!  stop! if the straining is painful.  Stretch and try the next day.  This is a serious warning.  Straining/pain is bad.

10= In a week or so, you will find this excersise easy.  You should see chord changes being a little easier.

=====  Part 2 ====

A= once you can do this at the speed of the beat of songs you like, onto part 2

B= Metranome on, very slow.

C= Move your pointing finger to the low E string at the same exact same time you move your ring finger to the high E string.  They move together, not          one after the other.  Place them down on the strings at the same time.

D= As stupid hard as this is, I promise you can do it in time.  

E= Practice with these fingers first.  Once your happy with the progress try 2 other fingers such as the middle finger and pinky.

F= This will take a week.  Perhaps more.  I still can't do all my fingers.

G= Reminder, at the start, this is stupid hard.  You can do it though.  Do NOT push yourself.  You can seriously hurt yourself and cause you to 

stop practicing all together.

=>  If you want to add to this, YES! Please do.

((((   I AM NOT THE CREATOR OF THIS EXCERSISE.  But I love it.  ))))

Wish you all well.  

Cheers to the other old folks like me.  And thankyou Guitartricks for this site and forum.

RonJ66, I had seen the first exercise but not the second. I’m 71, so I know what you mean about fingers not moving well. I’ll keep working on the first one and add the second one. 
thanks

Rick

Remember Duane Allman

# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.