View post (Hello - I am Looking for a system)

View thread

ran2far
Full Access
ran2far
Full Access
01/05/2023 9:52 pm
#3 Originally Posted by: JeffS65

Sounds like you have some ability and dexterity to play but as you'd said; 'a guide on what to learn in which sequence, a system'. I mean, that is how Guitar Tricks is structured. I don't mean that to sound too direct but it seems when people have gained enough skill and a little bit of knowledge, such ability almost opens too many doors to advance to that next level. In a way, a really good structure can also get in the way. If I'm honest, that might be the deal with where you're at.

What to do?

My thought is to learn songs. Lots of songs. On top of that; focus on learning the major scale, and pentatonic scale. You may already know some of this stuff. Also, it might not hurt to wrap your head around when to play the pentatonic scale in a major mode versus a minor mode. There is an ENORMOUS world of music theory to be learned but to make the jump from some noodling to actually playing stuff, these are some powerful ways to make that jump.

Why?

90% of rock and blues melodies and leads comes from the major scale or pentatonic scale (major or minor application). Though very useful, learning what an Aeolion or Mixolydian mode is and why is a bigger jump than needed. Keep that in your pocket for the future though. Learn and learn how to apply the meat and potatos. It'll take you way far. Also, a side serving of learning intervals will help. Intervals sound 'mysic-y' but it's really just counting out the 'note spaces' in a scale. If you've ever sung 'doe-rae-mi-fa-so-la-ti-doe', you've sung the note intervals in a scale.

Songs?

Yep. Lots of songs. Lots of different types of songs. With the basis above, when you learn a song, a lot of pieces come together. One thing I've said a million times; learn some Lynyrd Skynyrd. Southern rock in general tends to be a good lesson in the meat and potatos. You'll see in action how it comes together. That's the point of learning songs, bringing things together. Before we could learn online, back in my day, it was all about songs. Think of all the great guitar players talking about who inspired them. It wasn't inspiration but actual application of learning their stuff.

Those are my thoughts.

Hey Jeff65, thanks for taking the time and for your thoughts. Many true words. You say Guitar Tricks is structured. Perhaps it is, perhaps I just don't see it. I meant that it would be great to order the lessons into sections, like in order to be able to do this, first do this but before that, this and so on, except the other way round 🤪 In other words, bulding abilities like a house, first the foundation, then then walls and finally the roof. Perhaps a stucture could get in the way but you could alway stray away from it if it were too tight, all the lessons are accessible here at any time. 

But playing songs, yes, absolutely. And I do. 

I guess it is also a personality thing, if you are happy to work a little here and little there and have confidence that eventually you will see the bigger picture. Or if you try to make sure you are on a path where you can be sure you are building your skill in an optimal way, that will include everyting you need to become a full musician, who is well versed in all important aspects of being a musician, well situated in the bigger picture.