View post (Hello - I am Looking for a system)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/05/2023 8:13 pm
#1 Originally Posted by: ran2far

Hi,

I have been subscribing to Guitartricks for 5 years now but (same old story) never found enough time to seriously use it. I want to change that now. But one thing I miss and didn't really find here, is a guide on what to learn in which sequence, a system. Can anyone help me with that? I guess it depends on what you want to do and what your starting point is, so let me tell you about that.

- I have been playing guitar casually for about 12 years and also played a few of decades ago in my youth for a few years, never practicing much or methodically, especially the last few years. Which I want to do now. Basic chords and a bit more advanced chords, barre chords and some finger picking with attention to the base line, feel quite natural. I have practiced the minor pentatonic scale and know the patterns to some degree. I have followed some of the courses here on blues and bending and could do that more, learn some riffs and such. However, having a general idea about what is what, feeling at home in a key, knowing which chords and notes to use there and generally knowing what a certain chord/harmony is needed to achieve what effect, such things must be the most important and without having this insight, it feels a little like running around in the dark and that is not motivating for learning isolated parts of the whole. 

- I like to write songs and sing them, usually using acoustic guitar accompaniment. What works well is generating chords and then writing a text. The other way, having the lyrics and a melody and then creating chords, is more difficult. I probably lack music theory…

- I want to focus on Blues for a while, because I like it and find it to be the mother of many other genres. Rock would also be interesting in that respect. In these studies I imagine using mainly electric guitar.

- On the electric guitar I would like to be able to play a bit of soloing, not necessarily shredding it completely, just a little mood creation. I don't see myself becoming a professional lead guitarist. Also, some understanding/mastering of chords for the electric guitar, like power-chords, is on my to-learn list.

- I want to understand music theory as much as necessary to match what I am able to do practically. I imagine first learning the important things, while practicing physically, building up practical playing and theory together.

- Learning notes: I am not sure if that is feasible or if tabs would be more beneficial?

- Eventually, if time and talent permits, I would be interested in playing Jazz. Which I now see as a really big challenge, for which you not only need great technical skills but also a profound knowledge of harmony.

Anyone know what I mean?

Cheers to all

Henrik

Sounds like you have some ability and dexterity to play but as you'd said; 'a guide on what to learn in which sequence, a system'. I mean, that is how Guitar Tricks is structured. I don't mean that to sound too direct but it seems when people have gained enough skill and a little bit of knowledge, such ability almost opens too many doors to advance to that next level. In a way, a really good structure can also get in the way. If I'm honest, that might be the deal with where you're at.

What to do?

My thought is to learn songs. Lots of songs. On top of that; focus on learning the major scale, and pentatonic scale. You may already know some of this stuff. Also, it might not hurt to wrap your head around when to play the pentatonic scale in a major mode versus a minor mode. There is an ENORMOUS world of music theory to be learned but to make the jump from some noodling to actually playing stuff, these are some powerful ways to make that jump.

Why?

90% of rock and blues melodies and leads comes from the major scale or pentatonic scale (major or minor application). Though very useful, learning what an Aeolion or Mixolydian mode is and why is a bigger jump than needed. Keep that in your pocket for the future though. Learn and learn how to apply the meat and potatos. It'll take you way far. Also, a side serving of learning intervals will help. Intervals sound 'mysic-y' but it's really just counting out the 'note spaces' in a scale. If you've ever sung 'doe-rae-mi-fa-so-la-ti-doe', you've sung the note intervals in a scale.

Songs?

Yep. Lots of songs. Lots of different types of songs. With the basis above, when you learn a song, a lot of pieces come together. One thing I've said a million times; learn some Lynyrd Skynyrd. Southern rock in general tends to be a good lesson in the meat and potatos. You'll see in action how it comes together. That's the point of learning songs, bringing things together. Before we could learn online, back in my day, it was all about songs. Think of all the great guitar players talking about who inspired them. It wasn't inspiration but actual application of learning their stuff.

Those are my thoughts.